Goals/Obsession

TEL

• Baller

So it’s officially winter in Florida. Water temperature has fallen below 70°, it is time for winter break. Well it’s at least time to break out the wetsuit. I was thinking, what is my ultimate goal slalom skiing? When I was younger I had fun slalom skiing, trick skiing, bare footing, knee boarding, wake boarding and just generally playing around on the water. Slalom skiing, my PB at the time was 2 at 22 off behind an ‘81 Pro Star.

vld7ldaa35m9.jpg

Still have it. After a 14 year break, it's 2012 and I have the bug to slalom ski again. My goal, just happy to be skiing again. November 2012 bought a 2008 196 with this thing called ZO (it’s some kind of newfangled cruise control). In 2014 tested a bunch of skis (thanks, Performance Surf and Ski) bought a new ski (holy crap they’re triple the price from the last ski I bought). Oh, and set a goal - 28 off. Why? I thought it would be cool to run passes and shorten the rope at each end. I was sure it would take 3 to 5 years if at all. Nope, 2016 and ran my first 28 off - big day for me. Now you think the boat, ski and all the new equipment that has to come along with it would be enough. No, end of 2016 bought a house on a private natural lake.

pooiis3it38x.jpg

2017 medical issue set me back, F’n © deal with it, ski anyway. Being the sport it is I am struggling to be consistent. Never took a lesson, have ski friends that give me advice. Notice I didn’t say good advice, ha ha! Just kidding, I ski with a great bunch of guys that are on here. So what is my ultimate goal? I am 56, I have no plans to compete (yeah right, I wasn’t going to buy a boat, new ski, new equipment, house on the lake either). Will I get better? Should I just set a goal to run the next shorter loop or just to make my passes cleaner and more consistent? I’m sure a lesson or two would definitely help along with some therapy to help me with my addiction to the sport. What is your ultimate goal? And has the addiction taken over your life?

I'm only now consistently running 15-off, 30mph... So my goal is to just keep getting faster and shorter. Best I've been able to do is a couple passes at 32mph, 15-off. Want to run 36mph soon (perhaps by end of summer??) and then start to shorten. Eventually having partial ownership of a lake and (even better) a house on it. Dream boat is a new ProStar, but I'd like to purchase a 1998 or 1999 Ski Nautique within the first few years of a full time job. Almost done with college and currently looking for a start to my career in commercial real estate to support all this madness! I've only been waterskiing for about 3.5 years now, but I'm addicted... umm9fm1z85d5.png

t5rdibrmfc2f.png

• Baller

I am definitely wired for constant improvement, faster, shorter, etc... but when it comes to waterskiing, I just love doing it.

My goals: ski a lot, improve form (mostly to avoid injury), ski for many, many years to come, and have fun.

This is probably sacrilege on this site, but sometimes just enjoying something is a good goal.

• Baller_
@braindamage one of the coolest things I’ve seen in skiing in recent years is CP and Nate skiing double at Lake Grew and having a spray war. There’s two guys at the top remembering that we do this sport because it is so much fun. The other thing that stands out is the picture of Andy and Nate in running the safety boat at Moomba.

Lpskier

• Baller
My goal is to continue to have fun no matter what. Conditions good or bad. Slump or not. Good driving or not. Have fun and smile every ride. Additionally, I always want to improve. Improvement is not always measured by score. I want to increase my understanding and technique as well as get more efficient. I also want continuously improve my fitness. As long as I do the scores should go up but I am fine if they don’t.

• Baller

Obsession? Just dove into a nearly new Prostar, we're official obsessed. Goals? I set short term goals. One goal was to complete a pass at 30mph (15off) by the end of the year....didn't happen, yesterday was my last shot this year. Best is a couple at 29.5 at Jodi's. New goal, 30 within a couple months of new year/32 by birthday in July. Long term....keep working on form and hopefully faster/shorter will come.

BTW @TEL I've never seen the old prostar. You need to get that out once in a while. Bring to boat group events or something.