Which Boat to sell?

MDB1056

• Baller

I'm looking for BOS opinions please. A lot of background but I'd appreciate your input. tbbtxflg40oe.jpg

orka89a3kzcv.jpg

I've had a 92 Hydrodyne Comp for 11 yrs but recently acquired an 83 MC Stars & Stripes Powerslot as a rescue boat for only $2500. I don't need two boats so one will go. Here is the background.

BOAT 1

I bought the Hydrodyne in 2006. 350 GM Mercruiser carb'd. I'm 3rd owner. First 3 months it was wet as I didn't have a lift. It was under roof but still was in the water. It developed osmosis below the waterline. I've never heard of a boat doing that in that short a time, which made me question the glass & gelcoat work. Sanded down with 500 - 1500 grit and compounded and all is well but what a pain and it shouldn't have happened. I installed a lift needless to say immediately.

Two years later, gasket breakdown and hydro-locked, at only about 550 hrs. I pulled the engine, sent to NAPA machine shop, they did a great job on complete rebuild, I reinstalled, and again all is well but also what a pain.

2012 noticed soft spots in the flooring and decided to tackle at the end of the year so early 2013 started to look at it and WOW what a job just to get the flooring out. It gets better - as two stringers were also mulch. The only good news was these were the smaller outboard ones and not the mains that the aluminum box mounts to that are for the engine mounts. The two main center stringers are both still rock solid. Boat sat in my garage 4 years before I tackled it to finish just late this year(17). Daughters 90 prostar 190 in the boathouse was our skier. So now boat is far better than new below deck and flooring as used all epoxy and high quality cloth with FAR more coverage than needed but the goal was to make it bulletproof from ever having another water issue. If it's not puling a skier it's on the lift. So another major pain project but with the new carpet and all the buffing the boat looks amazing. I also rebuilt the Quadrajet since the boat had sat for 4 yrs as everything inside was varnish. Yes the tank etc were all removed and cleaned, all new filters, fuel water separator, etc. Also replaced ignition module as having hot start problems forever with that engine for some reason.

BOAT 2

The same day I put the Hydrodyne back in the water after 4 yrs I stumbled into an 83 SS (late year - all fiberglass, powerslot, grey with blue flake) that I probably shouldn't have even gone to look at it but I've always loved the look. He listed for $6250 - I towed it home for $2500. It needed a LOT but nothing I can't handle. Ran it briefly but steering was frozen, it had mostly been neglected but I don't think abused so much. I could see the potential and for $2500 I didn't think my risk was much. Dragged it home and replaced the steering cable, changed trans fluid, oil & filter, spark plugs, impeller, all new circulation hoses, new exhaust hoses, belts, and thermostat (there was none). Have new (old) distributor to go in with new Pertronix EI module that I purchased from an 85 MC owneriod5aaxe8pep.jpg

s4wg6gwem1xi.jpg

53a5j6au08dy.jpg

, and new plug wires as someone had installed a Mallory non marine unit. Cleaned it up a bunch, patched gouges with epoxy paste, put a hose in the trans cooler and ran in the driveway to look for leaks and all ok. Threw it in for a shakedown run and what a blast. Boat feels very small compared to the Hydrodyne, but the powerslot has great hole shot and I thought handling was fine. I was amazed that all the gauges work, even the original old Airguides read pretty close. All the switches even work and illuminate when flipped. Original hours meter shows 494 but was not working. It was just a wire off the back and it works fine but the glass was broken and trim ring badly dented as something hit it. Engine shows good oil pressure at idle and speed. Trans feels good fwd and rev although shaft needs alignment as hard to turn prop by hand on the trailer, so will be doing alignment and replacing strut bearing. Overall the SS is an amazingly simple boat to work on. Someone had previously clear coated the whole boat and it was / is peeling off badly on the deck, dash, and all horizontal surfaces, so I've spent hours carefully using a razor edge to remove. Several stars are also missing (bow 4, transom rear 2, transom top 1), interior is poor and drivers seat is not correct (looks 87-92) nor is backseat, and the cheap replacement carpet is the worst job ever seen with a single piece just laid, doesn't even go up the sides but rather only meets old carpet at the floor. So yes, there is plenty more to do on this old tug but I think for $2500 it was worth it. I've only put about $500 into it so far.

snevpaa8t6pu.jpg

30tyh63d0idu.jpg

jonqudy88zo7.jpg

p7zbs9m5hky6.jpg

My Evaluation

At 61 I'm not skiing tournaments so am not needing the latest greatest etc, and no need for more than 28-32 off at 34 mph max. If I get deep into -32 I'd probably die of excitement. Time is spent in the course and free skiing but as my ski partners are also not tournament skiers we're fine with GPS speeds dialing in the boat speedos and stop watch times. We're the only ones on our lake that ski anyway. I don't have a growing family as my kids are adults so I'm not needing more space (open bow). I only need a solid comp ski boat that will be reliable and run and run,that I can keep on the lift and drop in and ski whenever desired. I don't have to have a "perfect boat" as then I'm too stressed about a nick or a scratch, or a spill, etc.

The Hydrodyne today is far better than factory below decks and should never have another water issue with all I did to ensure such. The new carpet looks fabulous, and with a the clean up done while in the garage too the boat looks beautiful. At only 700 hours now that's only about 150 on the completely fresh motor. I have to say the Hydrodyne has the best steering and tracks better than anything else I've driven including CC's and MC's, although I haven't driven new ones (post 2000). If I were going to sell the boat now would be the time as it's all fresh and new, but others say now that it's all done I should keep it. Should last me another 20+ yrs.

The SS has battle scars already , but is a good "20 footer". It looks great at 20 ft and the cosmetics I can fix myself over time. I've ordered new carpeting and will install and will pull the dash panels and refresh the woodgrain look and clean all the gauges etc. Also plan to lay a layer of cloth and epoxy on the floor surfaces as a couple of the foam fill holes are showing and feel soft, but thereictprg56vsp.jpg

e is no contamination of the foam below . The additional glass layer will re-seal all and add a ton more strength. I'll tackle the interior as well as it's not that hard. I feel the SS would serve me well to fill my basic recreational comp boat needs, and knowing there is no wood in it is peace of mind. For some reason I have developed a love for this old tug even though it's almost 10 years OLDER than my current boat, and not as refined in many ways.

I could be happy keeping either of these boats, but I can't keep both. Selling the Dyne I could put a few thousand back in the bank but this isn't about that.

Mentally I'm a little more detached from the Hydrodyne based on all the problems I've had over the years, but a more objective eye may say yes - understandable, but they're now all resolved so enjoy the result of your labor. Would very much like to hear some objective BOS opinions. Pics attached. THANK YOU

Mark............

Attached Images

57xmlkvsavlq.jpg

• Baller
What motors do you have? Keep in mind reverse rotation Fords are starting to become scarce in the parts department. But I’m Guessing the MC has a lefty ford and Hydrodyne has what?? If the Hydro has a Chevy I’d keep it simply due to better parts availablilty.

• Baller_

I think it breaks down to what are the goals and needs for you and what you do with the boat.

You are basically looking at what I would call a modern boat in the Hydrodyne vs the old school Mastercraft. The Hydrodyne will drive under most all circumstances better/ straighter then the old MC down the slalom course. The Hydrodyne also will be easier to service simply due to the generic parts that can be obtained. Also with the hydrodyne it is a no brainer if one decides to re-power and install ZO.

Now the old MasterCraft has a lot of cool factor and has a far bigger following in the wet world of old boats, but the old ford replacement and service components are really starting to become either cheap, hard to find or down right NLA.

Either way it boils down to how much time, energy and $$$$ one want to throw at it.

• Baller

Tricky one.

Hydrodyne inboards are neither well-known nor lusted-after, while at the same time, are arguably very good boats. What that means is that is that it might be worth more to you than to anyone else; it's not a great market to sell into.

There are plenty of Mastercraft enthusiasts out there, so the market is comparatively better to sell into (more so if you restore, but only if you are able to restore it economically).

• Baller

Hydrodyne:

Benefits: most likely done with major issues; better skier;

Downside: lower sale price; lacks the “cool” factor; you sound disappointed with it;

MC SS:

Benefits: ITS A MC SS!; definitely has the “cool” factor; you like restoration; it’ll look cool even if you are just putzing around your lake; your grandkids will think it’s awesome

Downside: not sure what you are getting into; parts availability; not as great a skier (do you still have daughter’s ProStar?);

Since I believe that all decisions are emotional decisions, and that all emotional decisions are justified by fact and logic. The fact and logic above says to go with the MC.

When in doubt, flip a coin. If you are happy with the flip, then you have your decision. If you aren’t happy, then do the opposite of the coin flip, and again, you have your decision.

Either way, you can’t go wrong.

• Baller
I think the wake behind the S&S would be a drag after the Hydrodyne. Plus you have brought the Hydrodyne to where it is, why not enjoy it. And if there is such a great market for the S&S, sell it and make a few bucks for your effort. Unless, like me, you need to have a project.

• Baller

Wow - I want to thank all of you for the comments. It's always interesting to hear comments about Hydrodyne's from folks that know boats. MC's as well but Hydrodynes are so much less known. I think I need to go out and drive and ski both of these boats hard again first nice day. Never having skied the MC that will be a big factor. Was surprised @Horton said keep the MC, as I expected him to lean more modern, but my sense is his reply was more on the col nostalgia factor than anything else. . @jerrym - Yes - I do have a 68 big block Corvette in the garage but it is in need of restoration - on the project list. maybe start on that in 18. FYI - Folks on the MasterCraft Team Talk forum we're overwhelmingly saying keep the Dyne. They loved it. That surprised me a little . Will keep you ballers posted!. Thanks again!

Mark.......................