Looking for used lift

gcam4

• Baller
We moved into a waterfront community last year and now we are looking for a lift. Due to our HOA we need to get a lift that is as unobtrusive as possible, hence the need for a hydraulic cantilever. These are very uncommon in NC though. Does anyone know of any used ones available? We don't mind a decent drive to pick one up if the price is right, but obviously there are limitations to that. We've seen some posts about others getting a great deal on used lifts and we are hoping to do so as well.

• Baller

I actually don't mind the drive because I am planning on traveling some with work to Michigan and some other states as well. I can just work these plans into picking up a lift. Albeit, I'll have to drive instead of fly, but at least it's not 100% lost! Most lakes around here have boat houses with overhead lifts. It appears that some states have a lot of the non permanent lifts and that is what I am trying to find.

Thanks @skihacker that is good to know.

Thanks @Carl but I need to have as non-obstrusive lift as possible and I don't believe our HOA will like the wheel. I'm looking for a cantilever hydraulic lift where most components are under the water at all times.

• Baller
Just curious what do you mean by unobtrusive? No canopy? I have a vertical with direct power electric winch and two remotes and it's no more obtrusive than my friends cantilever but we both have similar canopies. I don't find the many lifts on most MN lakes to be much more or less obtrusive then their neighbors...not being critical I'm actually just curious. Certainly this style of lift in MN is not a pretty as the permanent doc/cradle lift/roof structures on southern tourney lakes I've seen.

• Baller

@6balls personally, I don't think there is a big difference with either a vertical or cantilever as well. Now our HOA prefers the cantilever. We will be the only boat on our dock, 15 slips, that have a lift. Even though we have prior approval for a lift, we're just trying to make sure no one is upset after we put it in. The one other consideration with a vertical is the outside width of it. We have 10' to work with. I see some are 108", but I'm not sure if that is outside or inside width. I haven't seen as detailed of a drawing on the verticals as a cantilever.

I'm finishing up with document that will be sent to the HOA on boat lifts so they will include that in the bylaws. I'm going to include both a vertical and a hydraulic in it and hope for the best.

• Baller

A lift brand I am partial to are harbor masters. They have a version that is neither a vertical or cantilever that has angular aluminum rails and a simple cable. They come up very easy and very fast since the cable doesn't hold the full weight of the boat less work cranking and less force on lift motors.

Also pretty cost effective and easily shipped

• Baller

Looks like I missed out on that one. Had an obligation I couldn't miss and didn't look or really pay much attention for a few days.

Does anyone know if the cylinders on these style of lifts can be rebuilt? I was browsing yesterday and saw a lift that needs either new or rebuilt cylinders. I called the manufacturer and asked and they said they are not rebuildable. I find that hard to believe as we have a lot of hydraulic equipment where I work and we have never had an issue getting something rebuilt.