Zero Off Head Unit Delamination Question

vtjc

• Baller

I have a 2009 SN 196 LTD under contract with Zero Off. The boat is at a MasterCraft dealer 750 miles from me, I plan to travel to check it out next weekend and finalize the purchase. One of the two know issues with the boat is the ZO head unit appears to be delaminating near the buttons. Have others seen this issue? Is this something that will become an issue that will require a repair? Can it be sent to Zero Off for repair or would I eventually need to purchase a new head unit? I live in Vermont so our water ski season won't begin until late April allowing time for the head unit to be repaired if possible. Second is a minor vinyl stitching issue.

I am very excited to have a ski boat again and to know how the 196 Kool-Aid tastes. Thanks in advance for your input.

u5f8jxk86tj1.jpg

6wkxj15z3lsb.jpg

• Baller

I'll assume the Koolaid comment was aimed at me so I will comment. Congratulations on getting an excellent boat that stokes your passion.

Regarding the ZO head issues, I've seen what that looks like when the protective shipping film is not removed from electronics. It might be that easy? Probably not though.

I wonder if a phone screen protector cut to fit might be an easy fix.

On second thought, the head is shot. Buy yourself a new one and send me the old one for proper disposal.

Eric

• Baller
This is a hobby horse of mine. It blows my mind that people don't even notice protective film on electronics, sometimes for years. I cannot resist removing it. The best example I have is I was in my in-law's car the other day and they said they wished the radio display wasn't so scratched up. I pulled the film off– fixed. The film had been there since new, 10 years. No joke!

Don’t know how to start a thread, can someone tell me correct zero off times.

How fast is too fast. I don’t recall my times from last fall, but a few other skiers said it was fast and I’m not aware of any adjustment if times are fast.

• Baller

Unfortunately it wasn’t a removable film on the gauge. Instead the face of the Zero Off gauge was delaminating. During my inspection I found undiscovered or undisclosed issues with the boat:

-Had 1,416 hours instead of stated 1,000

-gelcoat warn through on bottom of hull from trailer loading or lift

-scrapes on bow from beaching’s and dings in front two tracking fins

-Undisclosed vinyl cut in engine cover by pylon

-soft spot in the floor on port side between engine bay and gunnel

I didn’t buy the boat. It remains at the dealer and they were beginning to fix the floor as I was leaving.

They had lowered the price to $19,997 for the ‘January special’. I thought it was a great deal for a 09 196.

Glad I went to inspect, drive and ski behind the boat before buying it.

Just 1,500 miles of driving and 36 hours of my life.

My search for a ski boat continues.

Expired Only Inboards Add

FaceBook post about the boat

Dealers Website