New Entry Into Wake Boat Market - Course Ski Boats Next???

JonB

• Baller

From BoatTest.Com:

Finally, there is a line of state-of-the-art wakeboats that not only produce competition-sized wakes, but are also remarkably affordable. Little wonder, since Heyday is now a division of Bayliner, a brand built on the concept of low-cost boating. But, make no mistake about it, the four models in the Heyday line are not warmed-over Bayliners, but rather their own creations, designed from the keel up by wakeboat experts and enthusiasts. These boats are full of innovations and unusual design and must be seen to be appreciated.

Promo Video Link Below (hope I did it correctly Horton)

Video

• Baller
For a person like me who is on the big lake almost every weekend, I have never seen one of those boats on the water. I feel people would rather buy a used big name boat than one of those. The new surf model is nice, but not sure if it will sell in this market, especially when the Bayliner name is attached to it. Personal preference I guess. As for being reasonably priced it is way cheaper than other new models so that’s a plus. Heyday ski boat....Doubtful.

• Baller

@6balls just to clarify, say you could get in a new 196 hull with a pcm, ZO, and a 5 year warranty for $35k. You would prefer a modern big 3 with 800+ hours (seems to be average on SIA at that price point)?

I am not sure where I would fall. This would be an interesting topic for a voting thread.

• Baller
Good point @AdamCord Looking at the Carbon Pro specifically, I don't a single dealer stocked one, so the need for a dealer to be the middleman I'd consider to be unnecessary. The Centurion sales guy at our tiny local boat show a couple years back wasn't even aware the CP existed for goodness sake.

• Baller

@oldjeep - technically yes it is a surfable boat and they're trying like heck to "sell" people on the concept of an affordable surf boat. BUT - the demographic for a surf boat isn't 3-4 people crammed in a little boat wedge, people want to own the bigger boats.

Heyday knows it and has a larger boat the WT-Surf which has a 17 person capacity and 25' but it jumps to 55K MSRP.

The trouble is - does this look like they are having a good time?

vkjgxj6psavs.png

• Administrators
I'll bet any of you a good bottle of Scotch that HeyDay never produces a ski boat. When John Dorton owned the company they actually had planned on making a ski boat but I just cannot imagine the economic justification for doing it now.

• Baller

@OSUwaterskier to clarify I would not buy an off-brand boat new vs. a big 3 used at the same price point. For me this means I'd buy a used big 3 over a new Moomba, a new Gekko, and certainly a new Heyday.

When last i checked a 196 would be a used big 3...so I'm not sure what you are asking there.

If Heyday produced a new 3-event boat for a theoretcal $35K I wouldn't buy it...I'd buy a used, but well-kept big 3 product instead at the same price point going back far enough in the lineage to do so. Boats depreciate pretty fast initially, and some people hardly use them only to sell so with patience there are bargains out there.

But hey, that's just me I'm sure others feel otherwise.

• Baller
Reading the surf boat wake reviews on what used to boat brand enthusiast sites is actually funny. Amazing what junk they'll stick in the trunk for the perfect "push". The wake is almost as important as the size amps and Wetsounds dangling from the jungle gym.

• Baller

I went wake surfing behind one of the elite surf boats (a Centurion) with some serious and talented wake surfers. It was fun being that close to be able to enjoy the hot Russian girl's run. But really there wasn't enough energy to do that much radical stuff (like what I see in ocean surfing). Nobody did flips or 360s. It was way more fun than tubing but one set satiated me. It was really hard to trick behind - too big (and I like wakeboard wakes). Can't see spending 150k or even 35k for that. We took a cheap Bayliner across the lake to see the seaplane fly in.

I understand the rush from slalom and jump. I love the artistry of tricks (and wakeboarding). Barefooting is cool. Kneeboarding rocks, especially for kids. All this can happen behind a tournament boat. Which my Ranger can (barely) tow. I don't get these monster boats - especially at ridiculous prices.

I'm with @ski6jones . It doesn't quite work for me. If it was a great slalom tug with a nice trick wake, I'd love it. I'll buy @Horton scotch if that will help it happen.

Eric

• Baller

Hope someone makes a go of it but have seen them up close and the lines and look do not scream...got to have that! You have to be excited about something you’re laying down a lot of cash on and if you’re not excited about it you just won’t part with your money even if it is bargain priced.

You can build a good looking or odd looking boat for the same price. Hey, there has been considerable effort made but I just don’t know if the execution rings true with buyers. Time will tell.