Rylo 360 as handle mounted camera?

Based on another discussion (New Prostar gopro pylon mount), I went ahead and ordered a Rylo 360 camera (www.rylo.com) to test as a possible replacement to pylon mounted/rope-tracking camera (like Wakeye). I read a ton about this guy online, but admittedly was a bit doubtful that it would work due to the wide angle lens.

The short answer is sadly - NO. The Rylo doesn't work well for in-boat filming of waterskiing.

Below is a photo of a 15off mock-up in my yard - way too small to see detail. I then also took a photo at 38off, still too small.

But there might be hope for the Rylo and waterskiing - what if we developed a mount for the handle? I'm thinking something like a handle-guard with the Rylo mounted to it, with some floatation added to keep it all from sinking (see photo below)

The beauty of this position is - the seam between the two lenses would fall right where the handle is, and you'd have a complete view of your body and ski positioning (photo below)

The two questions I have for all of you are:

1. Do you think this view is as helpful for training purposes as one from within the boat?

2. How crazy (in terms of risk to camera and risk to others) is mounting a camera to the handle? The good news is the Rylo weighs very little - so not much added to the handle. I think I'm more worried about a popped handle and the shock to the camera (camera insurance?).

15-off

8gbfzf76zzuf.png

38-off

t39f41efk6gy.png

Possible handle mounting position

wa9ok9l23s97.jpg

Still image from resulting video

3f8a8bu432fg.png

• Baller

Oh crap!!! Now I feel awful for being the one to recommend it and you're not liking it. I'm so sorry!!

I assume you tried zooming it in a ways digitally after the fact? Did it lose resolution before getting close enough?

That last shot is pretty sweet though. I do think that could lead to some meaningful video.

Also, what about letting it "dangle" from the rope about 5 or 10 feet away?

No worries @escmanaze, Amazon has a 30-day return policy ;). Plus, it’s some very interesting tech I likely can use at work - well worth the exploratory cost!

Regarding the zooming, it will let you zoom slightly, but not nearly enough. There’s just not enough resolution.

Yeah, mostly curious about the training benefits of that last angle. My friends and I rarely pop handles - and I think the way Rylo is built, it would likely withstand a normal wipe out. The possible video would be pretty amazing!

I’ve also been considering getting a drone, and saw a you tube post where someone put a Rylo on a Drone. Wondering about parking one over a turn ball to record the approach, rounding, and away - all without running a camera. Just set it and forget it for 25min of drone flight. Could be some amazing video.