Ski Nautique 2019

skierjp

• Baller
@elr I am not exactly sure on this but I believe Class L/R is a IWWF sanction. USAWS only processes the sanction "as a proxy" for them. However with an L/R sanction only the IWWF rule book applies. You cant pick and choose, or make up, or add rules.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Really? Does anyone think the new Nautique won't pass? These rules are not that complicated.

New Model Towboat Use Before Boat Tests

a) If a manufacturer qualifies and participates in the previous year’s AWSA National

Tournament, he may use a new or modified untested model towboat in tournaments

between the current year’s AWSA Nationals and the subsequent USA-WS boat tests.

b) The new or modified untested boat must be the same model or the model intended to

replace the manufacturer’s current Nationals Towboat.

c) A new model year USA-WS Approved towboat which is unchanged may be used prior

to the USA-WS Boat Tests provided an exception is requested of the Towboat

Committee and subsequently granted. (Rationale – allows a promotional boat owner

to sell a current year boat in early to mid- season and take delivery of an unchanged

new model year boat and still meet tournament commitments.)

d) Subsequently if the boat receives USA-WS Approved status at the boat tests, it will

receive credit toward qualifying for next year’s Regionals and Nationals for those

tournaments pulled between Nationals and the boat tests.

e) Any records set behind the boat prior to the boat tests would be pending until the boat

receives USA-WS Approved status.

• Baller
See, this is what happens when April weather blows for a large part of the US. Neurosis prone slalom skiers can't release their anxieties behind the boat and start nitpicking at awesome new hardcore ski boats with crazy scenarios!

• Baller

@disland . I haven't looked that thoroughly into the iwwf rule book, but I believe the awsa rule book (somehow) supersedes the iwwf "book" (more like a pamphlet) in the US. The boat that pulled Worlds last year couldn't have if Worlds were in the US.

Eventhough we don't know how I works,I would imagine CC will not get pushback from awsa, as they *we* should be happy they even spent some time on a 3ev boat The "fully engaged" can easily be applied at each line length if it has an indent or mark or computer setting (fully engaged at 28 could be different than at 39). That rule is to avoid the middle of something that is either On or Off.

• Administrators
I just want to thank Nautique for releasing the boat at this time of year. My traffic is always a little bit light in the spring. They have given the whole website a shot in the arm. :)

Correct Craft Monopoly? Is anyone else concerned..CC bought Centurion and Supreme and neither make a ski boat any more despite the Carbon Pro successes of late. Now they simultaneously raise the prices of their only ski boat option to $100K+. That's over 30% increase. It seems very sneaky in my opinion.

• Baller

It's expensive, but if CC have misread the market then MC and/or Malibu will capitalize on the opportunity. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Regardless, there are lots of good used boats out there for those of us looking for a deal. I expect the supply of available 200s to go up in the near future. :-)

• Baller
Someone, maybe a lot of someone’s, are busy in their machine shops right now trying to figuring out how to build and attach these micro tuners to other brands or prior year Nautiques. Probably not that difficult to make something to attach to a certain companies bracket that is already bolted to the transom.

• Baller

I actually don’t think it is priced too high. Talked with the dealer and I could get a hell of a boat for under 110. Hell, when the new prostar came out a few years back we all complained about an 80k boat. Gents, prices are a rising and we need to deal with it and accept it as the new norm. Especially because other surf boats are pushing 200k. I think it is fantastic that boat companies are taking such a great interest and spending their r and d money on a sport that is not popular. I will stick with my prostar, but coming from a MasterCraft snob, that is one damn nice looking boat....and yes....I have a twinge of nautique envy right now.

All this typing is making me hungry. I am now going to take my 5 bucks and buy whatever lunch I want because i am such a big spender!

• Baller

I drove it today and all I can say is the boat I drove today takes the tracking conversation to a whole new level. Its easily better than the 200 it replaces which was the big surprise for me, I honestly did not expect that much of an improvement because the 200 is or was the best driving boat on the market. Every aspect of the boat is a big leap forward, functional and practical. Wow, the game has changed and it will be reflected in the skiing and records that will fall because of this design. jc5vwtob1xnb.jpg

• Baller
@ozski Its funny, because I got straight out of that boat (Hull No# 2), and 10 mins later towed a skier behind a 200 (that I haven't driven for 12 months) to a score of 4@10.25m and I wouldn't have said that it was at all behind in the driving department. The new Ski Nautique is a leap forward in tech and innovation yes, ski ability - yet to be determined.

• Baller
Yeah the 200 is a great drive for sure and still relevant but I don't think its in the same zone as the new boat. First impressions so I will comment after I have logged some more time behind the wheel but I had Nate sitting next to me and the tracking is something we discussed and it was not my imagination. The boat will be good for a lot of marriages.

• Baller

@Drago,

Everyone is a pretty absolute figure. Surely at least one person with a Nautique 200 will upgrade and sell their old boat to help cover some of the cost. In which case, increased supply! :-)

I do agree with you, I believe many people who would normally upgrade will choose to hold onto their current 200s given the sharp increase in cost. I mean, we're talking matching Corvette money here. This means the deflationary pressure on the used market will not be as pronounced as previous generations. It's also possible that more people enter the used market because they were waiting for the new boat, decided they couldn't afford it, and choose to buy a used boat. That scenario could generate inflationary pressure in used boats for a period of time.

However, I have no statistically relevant samples or hard evidence to infer the most likely outcome. The above are just my opinions of possible outcomes.

Still, it has been ~8 years since a new Ski Nautique and I would hope CC did some market research before they made their decision to build a $105K boat. They must think they can sell a decent number of them for some reason.

Time will tell. I simply hope that this boat has a modest deflationary effect on the used market.

• Baller
I’m just confused as to what exactly justifies the price increase? I understand it’s a free market and Nautique can charge $500,000 if they want to. But is there anything in this boat that you get in and say “okay, THATS why the price just jumped so much”? The base model will still come with the 5.3 correct? Yeah there is carbon in the hull, but how much is used? They used carbon in the CP, and it was the “value” boat. Anyone know how much carbon was used in the CP vs the new Nautique?

• Baller
@ScottScott yes, 15 years ago it was $40K so I understand inflation... but 1 year ago the retail for a base 200 on their website was $76K.. that’s more than inflation. Which is fine, if they feel they can sell the boat at that price, great. But typically with that kind of price increase there will be something that a company can point to and say “that’s why”

• Baller_
I skied behind one last night. In a word: fantastic. 28 and 32 seem a bit easier across the wake, but 35 and shorter will never be the same again. No perceived dip whatsoever. (Disclaimer: I didn’t shorten past 35.) The interior is sharp and roomy. The computer display is state of the art and easy to navigate. There is nothing wrong with the sea deck interior (but I ski behind a CP and am used to sea deck). The integrated Bimini is rock solid and looks like part of the boat instead of an add on. The exterior lines are different from a traditional 200 but the boat looks sharp. I’m told that they sold 18 boats the day they were unveiled. I expect to drive one this weekend. Great job Nautique!

Lpskier

• Baller
@pgmoore Hey my 20lb. schoodle is in the boat everytime my wife takes me skiing which is everyday.And I am really glad I enjoy the older boats and don't have to deal with the cost and all this tech stuff of new boats.I am an old guy and can't even program my VCR and can't handle all this new tech junk.So for me I could care less what any of the big 3 do as far as new boats.If anyone wants to join me skiing behind a older boat I will even let you ski my old obrien wood ski or the warren witherell.Life at the lake is good...........

• Baller
Towboat test are in a few weeks so right now we are holding off any judgment on possible rule changes or effects on rules with the new boat. We will know much more after the towboat test. I don't forsee there being any issues as long as the boat gets tested in all fashions of possible use in tournaments. As far as the Iwwf vs awsa debate, you can still run L/R events under AWSA rules so our rulebook will apply to most our US L/R events.

@Live2ski I believe it comes standard with the 6.0L ZR4 with the option to upgrade to the direct injection H5 or H6. Could be wrong but I think that's what the intro video confirmed. The price is quite a leap but I can see some of that being justified. As @ScottScott said, R&D was a factor, add in all that seadek which requires an extra production process of the floor needing to be gel coated, the new electronics, micro tuners, automatic hydro gate.. all these small things add up.

• Baller
@ScottScott at a 3% rate of return which inflation hasn't really been above for the last 15 years 40K invested at 3% for that time would be worth 62,318 today. I do know I have a 16 year old boat and the technology in the new boat isn't apples to apples with my boat (2002 Response LX). The new boats are bigger with more amenities, electronics etc than my LX. I am not sure an exact apples to apples comparison is possible but $64.5K 15 years ago at 3% annual return is about $100K today.

• Baller
Actually looks like a HUGE improvement over the oil filter location on the '16 / '17 5.3 / 6.2. Remote filter moved up higher on the rear of the engine and much better access without having to remove a lower motorbox section. No oil filter 1/2" directly above carpet either! Yeah!!

• Baller

I own a 2015 CC200 6L and I love it. But having driven this new Nautique for the first time yesterday, I have to say it's a clear upgrade to the previous boat. The tracking feels the same (which is a good thing) and the the controls are silky smooth with good feedback. Yes there are lots of nice little features added like the cell phone cradle etc., but the two biggest changes I noticed from the driver's seat were the steering and the new touchscreen.

The steering is really nice. It feels slightly quicker, with smaller inputs delivering bigger corrections. And this was achieved without the steering feeling any heavier. But by FAR the best driver-related upgrade is the touchscreen. It is light years better than the ridiculous interface they'd settled for up until now. It's big, bright, and well laid out. You can use it as a touchscreen, with the conveniently located i-Drive type control Knob, or any combo of the two that feels most intuitive to you. Until now, the screen in the ProStar was vastly superior to the Nautique's glass plank in every way—not anymore. I wish I could retrofit this big beauty.

vn25qtjwr1ji.jpg

oqefs3h695sm.jpg

• Baller

@Drago the Used 200’s have about dried up on SIA as their are only 2 on the site For Sale on the Promo side. I will be posting this one soon:

dbkfk4a5l5c2.jpeg

On pricing, last Fall my dealer said that a GS20 Nautique Super Air could be purchased for just under $100K so I believe a new ‘19 Ski could/would sell for < the GS20, comparably equipped regarding features and gelcoat options.