CG approved vests

KRoundy

• Baller
Hey all, I ski on a public lake where we need to use a CGA vest. I currently have a vest that really soaks up the water and gets quite heavy. I'm looking for some suggestions for a vest that won't get me in trouble with the local cops that stays lightweight and won't retain water.

• Baller

This topic is a favorite with our local patrol for some reason. Multiple members of our club have been "pulled over" for this issue. During a friendly, working-together type meeting with the local police department two summers ago to talk about the lake and our club the police officer in charge of the lake brought this up as one of his "primary concerns" about skiers on the lake. And from what I can tell they continue to pursue it as a hot topic. :(

I use my competition vest (a two or three year old Syndicate) as often as I can because it is so superior to the CGA vests. I agree that an early-morning set is less likely to attract attention, but I also don't want to stir up trouble for no reason. Thanks for the suggestions here. I'll go check out those options.

• Baller
I got the Radar CGA vest for exactly that reason. It is comfortable, and doesn't get heavier with soaked up water. So it works perfectly for me. Plus it provides good rib protection. And here in Montana, the boat police did check the tags to be sure our vests were CGA.

• Baller
Bart's Water Sports sells at least two CG approved nylon vests - one labeled O'Brien and one Connelly - for $39.99 ea. I have one of each and use them both for tournament skiing and practice. Very comfortable, great rib protection, and float your head way above water. I'm old school, but I much prefer them over any non CG approved vest I've ever tried. I have seen the Connelly nylon vest at Academy Sports but not recently.