Should there be a thread of boat sales details?

Moffattra

First, I'll admit, I enjoy ski boat "market research" almost as much as actually boating. So I would love to see a thread that shows actual boat sale details; boat, hours, condition, location, asking/selling price, etc. BUT, from the point of view of both seller and buyer, I can see some serious issues. What do you think?

• Baller
Hopefully this would include info on new boats as well! Without actually inquiring about the process, it seems pretty difficult to figure out how much a custom ordered boat will cost... especially now that prices are so high, most people are embarrassed to admit how much they just dropped on their new toy!

• Baller
Hmm... I wonder if there is some way of creating anonymity, so that people don't get in trouble in the event they "promised not to tell" or something while still having some sort of accountability to ensure that the information is actually true and honest. Especially in the new boat world, it seems like most people have their dealers or promo guys telling them "please don't tell anybody I gave you this good of a deal" and maybe it seems reasonable to respect that, but at the same time...Dangit, I wanna know!!!!!

• Baller

@escmanaze agree if there is to be any data it would require anonymity. People are generally pretty private about personal finance unless relating a great deal they pulled off.

Would be nice to have some actual sale data...cuz that's what it's worth.

• Baller
It would be valuable. NADA is way off on used ski boats, and other than asking prices on ski it again or craigslist, there's no quick reference. I'd be happy to share details on my purchase last fall.

Most people want the public to think they spent a lot of money. Most shoppers are looking for the best bang for the buck. Tough sell I think to get the buyers to come clean and be honest. Another thing to factor in is how much of a cut the dealer took for selling the boat. Some take more and some take less. Transportation also influences the prices. As a manufacturer that sells custom made to order Dyna-Ski Boats directly I don't disclose what my buyers paid. If they want to that is fine. I don't even put prices on the internet. Every boat I sell is priced according to the actual cost of building it, the outboard motor and trailer costs.

• Baller
Since there are 10 choices to respond to the survey, I thought I would pick the response that makes a lot of work for the guys who want to accumulate lots of self reported information, put it in a nice looking chart, maybe a simple linear regression. Then subjectively modify the results based on favorite color combinations, time of year sold, location, unsophisticated buyers who paid too much, sellers who were tired of looking at that boat in the driveway, too many engine hours, not enough engine hours, whatever the last comment on BOS was about the bump at 22 off. Or you could buy the boat you love and be happy with what you paid... and be skiing right now... gotta go, I'm up.

• Baller
You'd think in this information age, there would be a resource for the uninformed buyer to ensure he or she is not over-paying. With the crazy, inflated MSRP's on boats, a dealer could knock 10% off and a buyer could think they were scoring.