Interior Choice Sea Dek or Carpet

Bulldog

• Baller
Hi ballers. I have been reading lots of threads regarding the new boats lately and it had me thinking.... what do most of you prefer.. carpet (snap in or laid) or sea den? I would have done a poll but my phone is acting up. Let’s see your thoughts.

"Do Better..."

• Baller
I like carpet under foot in the main area. Our new boat has snap in, so I have little experience with it. Hopefully no shrinkage. I like the idea of taking it out and hosing it off. My previous boat had glued in, and I would vacuum, or occasionally hose out the carpet, using a brush on any stains, easy maintenance. I do wonder with snap in about water between the carpet and glass staying long enough to mildew a little, where the glued in carpet, the water stays on top. Sea Dek is a great material for non slip (step through, gunnel step areas, bow walkway, etc.) and even just decorative accents. Sea Dek on the floor will still take maintenance. Dirt will sit on top and need to be vacuumed, stains will need to be brushed with a cleaner and rinsed. Even though Sea Dek can be more expensive, I feel like it has a more utility type feel on floors. Overall I like the carpet and use of sea dek in our new prostar. We actually added a couple peices of sea dek on my old boat (swim platform, and bow floor,) and also added a couple peices now on the prostar (on the transom step, back of center seat (when folded down is a step through to bow,) another small area in the walk through to bow, and at the foot rest at the driver seat.)

Carpet is most practical for the interior floor. Carpet is the cheapest solution. Unfortunately carpet quality varies widely. Many snap in carpets used were cheap and they shrink often. Yes moisture is retained under snap in carpet. I think in some locations Sea Deck will create problems long term. Sprayed on non skid has its advantages. Many textures to choose from also creates questions about which to use. Buyer preference is always the determining factor. Ask your wife what she wants! B)

• Baller_
@braindamage : I used a 24 oz. carpet, did the internet search process and got several samples / costs from the various vendors. Talked to a few on the phone, reviewed the process steps most tend to put on their sites. Google marine or boat carpet and a slew of suppliers come up. It is amazing how nice fresh carpet is but be ready for a fairly lengthy project (very easy to add projects once the carpet is out of the boat). Just me but I felt 20 oz or less is too thin or cheap feeling, 40 oz is really thick and will hold water for a long time (it feels nice when dry and clean, friends boat has factory ~40 oz and it is always wet).

Will I get an "off-topic" if I suggest also looking into the Deckadence material that MC uses now? I think it's the best of both worlds. You don't have to screw holes in your floor for snaps and it's easier to clean out than regular carpet. Easily removable too, which is what bugs me about SeaDek (although I still think SeaDek is a neat product). It might get hotter than carpet, but a lighter color can help with that.

• Baller

We all know with @Mrs_MS it's ALL about looking cool!!

Decadence is a nice flooring option . I still like seadek being so easy to maintain and clean. Laid and glued carpet always collects dirt in the corners and needs time to dry. snap in carpet is a good option I am on my second set of carpet in our 2000 centurion .was easy to order and install, but it does still seem to get dirt under from the edges.

• Baller_
We are a total no shoes or dirt in boat. I have pulled the floor pad a few times and it’s crazy the amount of dirt and sand on the floor. I can’t imagine how much crap is embedded in carpet.

I think a boat is made to be used. Not allowing shoes or dirty feet in the boat is interesting and something I'd never do. Of course I don't want people intentionally dragging in dirt. I have 31 year old carpeting in a water ski boat. It still looks great.

• Baller
We do a lot of "boating" with whatever boat we have, including now our new prostar, not just skiing. So, on a colder day we may be bar hopping on a chain of lakes with multiple restaurants etc.. I'm not going to restrict people to no shoes, just that they don't step on the vinyl with shoes. People have been pretty respectful and don't have dirty shoes, and the carpet cleans up pretty well. Whether glued in and done in place, or you take snap in out of the boat, its pretty easy to hose it out and get nice and clean. My previous 1998 boat had glued in carpet, and still looks good.Most every one we know will kick off shoes when they come out skiing.

• Baller_
Ask any carpet cleaning professional what makes dirt attract itself to carpet the most. Answer... bare feet and oils from our skin. Oils make the dirt stick to your feet, oils get on the carpet and dirt sticks to the oils. Now add wet to that mix. Clean shoes and sandals welcome in my boat vs dirty feet any day of the week and twice in Sunday.

• Baller
@Wish I'd rather have sweaty feet than the stuff that is on the bottoms of your shoes/sandals. Grass, sand, goose poop, gum and whatever else you step in during a normal day. Step out of shoes on the dock and carry them in is our normal procedure. Only exception is my mom for her rare boat ride.

• Baller
SeaDek is a pretty easy add on. There are installers in limited locations and some fabricators, but its pretty hassle free do it yourself kinda thing to do the templates, send in to seadek, and have them send to you to install yourself. It won't happen over night though.

• Baller

We just used Gatorstep for some custom Gunnel and Bow pieces for our Carbon Pro and have to say they were great to work with and very responsive. Material looks identical to SeaDek, installation is super easy just be sure of alignment! They send you paper cuts first to confirm so it takes a few weeks. (If they have a template already in their library it's easier + quicker).

5qxvvsq4p0nl.jpg

06ogcksp84bj.jpg

• Baller
I am not too picky either way. Our boat is old and has older grey glued in carpet. We live in the west. The carpet is cromulent for now. If I replace, I may go with deckadence or something like that. Or I might see if they make some covering out of woven bamboo or something similar that could be snapped in. Also, I do tend to have people take shoes off, but I am no drill sergeant about it. In other peoples boats, I presume off until told otherwise.

I'm still amazed at the folks worried about shoes and carpet in a boat. I step on the seats even with shoes I'll wear in the water, on land and in the boat. Any of you have an off road vehicle, truck, ATV, etc.? A little sand isn't much to be concerned with in these toys.

• Baller
@oldjeep I don’t think so. I think the smell you’re referring to is from peoples sweaty stinky feet. Never had a stink issue in my Ski Nautique and I’ve had 4 of them. I’m in Florida and the boat gets soaked at tournaments. Now all my 196s is a different story. When you have carpet and can’t get it out of the boat to dry it smells like a wet cat.