The Masters

JAS

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

great skiing considering the rolling conditions..... they womens slalom final was rad.

they need to lose that one announcer. it isnt a 90's wrestling match. he sounds so corny and does nothing to attract new viewers or skiers. im down for some good commentary and excitement... this dude isnt that. his ipod needs to go for a swim too.

it would be cool to see a final 4 for the big dawg and some pros that didnt make the cut commentating in the future.

• Baller_

@APB believe it or not, it all sounds much better in person with the music cranked up and the crowd on site making some noise. U can't hear that on the web cast and it makes that style of announcing make way more sense.

Our sport is pretty small compaired to most others. Happy to have anyone with the desire to fill in hours and hours and hours of air time with commentary.

To your point though, if there is a pro skier that excels at commentary there can only be one name suggested....Freddy Krueger. Pure joy listening to him.

• Baller

First, I would like to Thank all those involved in the Video Production for a job well done. I believe this was the best year ever for video quality.

Second, I have been to Robin Lake and I am in the camp that measures could be taken to improve water quality. I believe that would be beneficial for both the competitors and the spectators. The solid wall that extends at the end of the course should have a rock buildup in front of it, and the viewing stands, while spectacular, could have measures taken to reduce rollback from the giant pillars. This isn't rocket science, and I don't believe it to be that expensive.

Bottom line, I truly Love this event, and only want it to be the best that it can be, and also be a totally level playing field for all involved.

• Baller_
@wish, sorry, but announcing is not in my bag of tricks. Yeah good announcers are hard to find and its a very unique skill, but after the last 2 days of listening to Dano think he was at the WWF championships, it was 2 days too many. Anyone would be better....even you or Horton.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Announcing, always a difficult one, creating excitement, atmosphere, giving information and accurate facts, as well as accomodating those all important sponsors, perhaps they could introduce the roaming microphone and involve the people spectating, share the love in a effort to broaden the interest.

Even professional announcers do not always get it right, it,s harder than you think, plus you are stuck there for several hours, nobody else wants to do it.

Good or Bad, hats off to the people who stepped up to do the announcing.

• Baller

Watched only sunday but i really likes the trio of Tyler, Des burke Kennedy and the australian guy.

When action last 16.08 sevonds ,filling the voids is not an easy task...

Overall,great skiing,great webcast great commentators (almost didn t ear Dano yesterday ) ,great show that i watched on the 55" living room tv and all that for FREE !!!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

FWIW replay of the video makes it look like rollers that took out Freddie - ski was airborne (photo1) then a “sink hole” opened up and pretty much swallowed him (photo2)q3ilcoydp0rf.png

nh6om6xx7tmd.png

. The release looks like the best outcome :)

• Baller
And in the next couple frames.... the way he did a forward somersault tell me the ski stopped, and he kept going.....not a pre release. Thankful his binding released like they were supposed to, and he walked away without injury.

• Baller
I'm with you @Bruce Butterfield, it would be really nice to have someone calling a trick run that knew we were trick skiing at not wakeboarding, the incorrect pronunciation of names was another, never understood why there was a need to holler, once again this is not wrestling, and I am friends with Miss Debra!!

• Baller_
I guess my questions would be...how low were they able to get the lake before Sun?. There is a drain system that the TCs start letting water out a week before or sometime before the event. They try to drain the lake below the seawalls where there is rip rap to break things up. Maybe that wasn't done as well this year considering the TCs never made it do to a car accident

• Administrators
@wish I know for a fact that there were other people stepping in for Jeff. I heard at least one conversation specifically about the water level. That site is just gnarly.

• Baller_
@Horton. True on the gnarly side but it can be much worse if the level is off. Even though people stepped up, and glad for that, there is a reason Jeff and the boys have been doing it as long as they have. I'm simply wondering if the level was to the satisfaction of someone like Jeff that knows all of it inside and out. We generally sit down by the starting dock..on a point that juts our before that dock actually, and we rest our legs on the sea wall. In that particular spot, the water is below the wall with the waves running up rocks. It looked high this year to me but I could be way wrong as its hard to tell in the web cast.

• Baller_

This was is a still of a vid shot from 4 yrs ago. You can see on the pillar in the background just how far they drop the lake. I watched CP from the boat run into 41. In the video, the water is not bad and looks no where near as busy. I skied it the same day and did not notice busy water like I saw on the web cast. .

85zu6rtygs3z.jpeg

• Baller
@Wish according to the Callaway staff they pumped 18 million gallons of water out of the lake the week before the event, the drain system they have used in the past wasn't working, the lake rose over 8 inches after Saturdays downpour. And nothing was done to drop the level. Callaway operates on a tight budget draining the lake twice wasn't part of it, I can give other examples of this but it serves no purpose.

• Baller_
@LLUSA that makes sense as to why the water may have been busy-er then usual. Thanks for the info. Weather happens. That also points to the fact that Callaway will most likely never invest $$s to make it any better. Still say they pros and fans would rather keep the Masters there then take it anywhere else..me too.

• Baller

Broadcast style is definitely polarizing. You love it or hate it. My wife and family have come to accept as part of Memorial Day Weekend, compromise is I wear headphones or turn audio off. Hey it’s the Masters!

If the sport really wanted to grow we would have events on public water where average joes like me ski. Let chips fall where the may. Competative waterskiing has become a country club sport. There was a day when Average Joe knew the names of all the top skiers, now average Joe hasn’t even heard of tre Masters. In the big picture complaining about an announcers style and roque rollers is a rather clear reflection of our diversifying sport. Hey it’s the Masters! I love it!

• Baller

The water was higher than usual in Robin Lake. In fact all the lakes in GA are higher than usual. There has been a ton of winter-sping rains .

That said the water didn't appear to be terrible .there was some wind and back-wash but over all it appeared totally ski-able as most scores reflect.

TW may have had some bad luck and that's a shame because I love to see him Ski-----but skiers following him did very well .

I don't expect world records at Callaway but always get some world class competition.

• Baller
I see it the same as I see Moomba, the conditions are part of the charm. Most skiers go out and prepare for tough conditions prior to the event so they are ready on the day and some skiers and possibly even ski's? are better suited which keeps it interesting. Cream still rises to the top, the usual suspects were all in the mix. Imagine Imagine F1 being raced on the same track design in every country - boring. And keep in mind challenging conditions throw up a challenge to the skiers, who would take that away from them?

• Baller
Variable conditions are great. Happen’s in golf and ski racing all the time. The cream continues to rise to the top in this event. Love watching athletes ski these line lengths in conditions.

• Baller
Hey nobody is forced to enter are they? Imagine if our sport had 5 events in locations like Moomba with big crowds and exposure, spend some time around the skiers and its pretty clear they love the challenge. I've seen some pretty gnarly footage from the pro tour back in the day in front of real crowds, something that is sadly missing today.

• Baller
Really surprised to hear the comments on conditions, yes its tough but its not un-skiable. 3 @ 41, 11,870, 231 for men, 2@ 39 (1 @ 41 in prelims), 9600, and 178 for women. Those are good scores. I'd rather have scores down 10% in front of a crowd than see 43 off in the middle of no where @ a private lake.

• Baller_
Yet Nate never looked in trouble or hurried or in panic mode or sketchy or on the edge for the most part as his 32 looked like his 38 as usual...hmmmmm. Some styles lend themselves to adverse conditions and some do not IMHO.