The Masters

JAS

• Baller

Regina Jaquess, Manon Costard and Whitney, look out, Brooke Baldwin looking good obviously has lots of Talent and is going to be in the mix for sure.

Fantastic for Womens Slalom what a line up, exciting to watch, I applaud the Hard Work they must put in.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
@jimbrake Ha! ya I guess it could be read that way. Guess I meant that all his passes look the same on up through 39 it seems. Pretty sure even the announcers commented on that.

• Baller

@JeffSurdej My point is why can’t we have both?

Robin Lake is a fantastic site, local, easy to get to, all the things that bring a crowd. All except for the persistent backwash.

I really don’t believe it would be that big an investment to put in backwash calming measures that would I’m sure take out the unpredictable and inconsistent waves that rebound off the walls and stands.

So why not have a great crowd, seeing all the top names ski to their potential at a terrific site. .

• Baller_
@GaryWilkinson it's not gonna happen. Pipe dream. To many dollars spread across multiple sources that invest in the Masters weekend. Which of those would you hand the bill to? If you could prove that viewership would go up both remotely and onsite because of improvements to ski conditions, you may convince a few to invest. But I can't see how that investment could possibly increase viewership. Better use of that money is to advertise the event locally and world wide for web cast ...which just gets better and better every year.

• Baller_

If it was easy they would call it your back yard tournament. This is Robin Lake period. Also reminder it is an outside sport and not alway's can the environment be tamed.... or should it? To some degree the availability of condition control was achieved three days before the event but climatic conditions had more control then what we could achieve under mechanical intervention!

Winning jump for men's 230 Plus feet. Site record in women's slalom! a number of 39's go down. Trick scores off the chart! HMMM?!!! conditions must not have been that bad.

Trivia!! When was the Last time a Connelly won at the Masters?

Also we do install some back wash abatement materials in front of a 40' solid block wall across the lake... Should a seen it back in the day! talk about rouge Rollers!

• Baller_
@Horton, forget about the "Connolly". What about all those "rouge" rollers on the lake? I didn't notice any of the reddish tint to the waves on the webcast. But, at least it's better than rogue rollers.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

If a truly "rogue" roller causes an unfair condition that adversely affects the skier, isn't that grounds for a re-ride under Rule 7.01? Its seems to me like generally tough conditions is part of the sport, and that truly "unfair" conditions that adversely impact one or a few skiers has a rules-based remedy.

• Baller

This is the Masters. It’s like people complaining about Moomba. These are the classic sites, for classic skiing. I love to watch someone get a shot at the world record,as much as the next guy, but we’re not moving off Robin Lake for this tournament. Never. That’s dumb. Go to the tournament and you’ll understand.

It’s these times I really get what one skier was saying about “Worlds, should be the place with perfect conditions” where they all could truly shoot it out. THATS NOT AN EXACT QUOTE. I don’t remember which thread it was, but that’s the idea. Moomba and the Masters are old school, and I think that makes them more historically relevant, but it does not mean the Lakes/Rivers should be changed because we’re all skiing in our own subdivision with perfect conditions.

• Baller

@aupatking, so does that make the Moomba and Masters the "Majors" of waterskiing?

I'm thinking Golf has 4 majors as does Tennis.

Are there other tournaments in waterskiing that are considered "Majors"?

And speaking of tournaments, it would be cool to see something like the PGA Tour's FedEx Cup in waterskiing where there is a playoff (or a playoff of tournaments near the end) to win the cup. Gain points through the season's tournaments...gain more points for winning a major. :)

Earn the ultimate trophy, prestige, and (money? hehe) for winning the cup.

• Baller
The US Open in golf is held on very tough courses with very tough conditions on purpose. That's what makes it great. Same with the Masters and as most indicated the conditions were challenging not unskiable.

• Baller
I'm not sure I agree with the golf analogy. Golf is differnet every hole, and every venue. That's why they have a handicapping system. Slalom is more like football......there are many differnent venues but the field is the same demensions where ever you go, goal same hieght/width etc. Many fields are outside so you have the weather that comes in to play, as with golf, skiing and any other outdoor sport. But rollers coming back off a sea wall is kinda like a football field that has recently had new sod put down and hasn't rooted yet..... yes everyone is playing the same conditions, but it's not the intended result of making things harder, and someone could get hurt. I'm not saying they need to move masters, and it sounds like many factors made conditions harder to manage this year than what is intended and usual, but I don't think it's something that's a normal part of the sport that should just be shrugged off either.

• Baller

I understand the significance of the event and the importance of the event. I also get that everyone is competing under the same conditions, etc. And I realize that Robin Lake is used 360 days out of the year for something other than waterskiing.

That said everyone involved in the event - directly or indirectly - work year in and year out to improve whatever it is they bring to the show. Boats, engine/transmissions/props, skis, training methods, jump measurement systems, video tech, webcasts, even rules are improved every year to bring a better show than the previous year. For some it’s about selling boats or skis. For others improvement is about better performances. Either way everyone strives to improve. Site conditions should be included.

I know there has been work to lower the water level and there was a lot of rain this year. And I’m sure there’s a budget like everything else with hard limits. That said discussing what can be done to improve the conditions or knock down random rollers should be on the list. I suspect it already is. Whether it’s a priority may be another topic.

Anyway ... always and awesome event with highs and lows. I look forward to it every year!

• Baller

@ScottScott , There is no handicap in pro golf, and like golf, water skiers compete against a "course", but my point was to look at possibly adopting a "playoff" format in waterskiing... pro waterskiing.

There is something special about a playoff atmosphere that inspires not only the athletes, but the fans watching it.

And the season leading up to the playoff is exciting.

I would watch more online tournaments in waterskiing if there was a season and a playoff run to the cup.

:smile:

• Baller
Waterskiing would do well in taking a small lesson from basketball's global growth at all levels over the past 2 decades. Getting off topic, but it starts at organizational levels, grassroots up through professional. For the past 15 years or so waterskiing seems to have most organization focused on the mid levels, class c, rural private ponds, regionals etc. and not so much at the grassroots or pro levels. A pro tour/season with events located near major populations and a few classic sites like the Masters leading up to a finale - between the top winners throughout the season - scheduled in a place like Orlando. And, it's time to get beyond 3-events, like the Masters has evolved. That would drive the grassroots to want to be like the pros and hence improve participation and industry sales. That's what drove a lot of us older folks to get into it behind outboards on open water. Guess how many people will be watching the NBA finals this week then going out to buy a new pair of shoes, team gear, video games, and sign up for a local rec' leagues or AAU? The organization needs a few more entrepreneurs like @Horton @MarcusBrown @skiandbehappy @eddie_roberts_jr and @DynaSkiPete

• Baller

Bump. This debate will be taking place on every sports channel for the next two weeks...

I was surprised to watch the CEO of the USGA get on after the final pair walked off and admit that they lost control of the course today - “some players were not rewarded for great shots this afternoon, some great shots were actually penalized.”

Hard to argue with some great skiing actually being penalized this year at the Masters...

But the best golfer in the world is tied for the lead.

I can’t decide where I fall in this debate.

• Baller
They ruin the US OPen in golf every few years. Absolute idiots run it. They are so scared of a golfer going under par, they would rather ruin the tournament. You might as well go put in your garage, stupid. I won't even watch it tomorrow...ooooohhaaawww crap, I probably will...but , I'll flip back and forth!

• Baller
It is interesting to go back to the comparisons many made to the conditions at the water ski Masters and the golfing majors. How they make the majors harder, and everyone plays the same course. The US open right now is a cluster f... as they try to water the greens to slow it down after making it too hard. Except that doesn't last long, and by the end of the day it will go back to being faster. So everyone doesn't play the same course, the leaders get a harder course. The waterski masters wasn't intentionally made harder, so that is a difference, but there was a more random nature to it, so not everyone really got the same conditions. Biggest difference is that in golf, the course difficulty doesn't increase the chance of injury.....unless Phil Mickelson runs over somebody trying to get to his ball before it rolls off the green again.