HRT Type Rear Binding - Thoughts ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

I have used a RTP like forever, did try double boots but didn't like it for various reasons or though I do like the idea of your rear foot ending up in the same place every time you ski.

With this in mind I have been considering the HRT type of rear binding, a couple of peopleI know didn't like it, does anybody have any views on it, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people on them.

My other concern is that I know my back foot does move from side to side during the turning phase , I am thinking that the HRT would prevent this movement is this a good thing or a bad thing ?

• Baller
I use a Radar HRTP along with. Radar Profile front boot. It's a very comfortable setup and I release when necessary. The HRTP allows for proper ankle flex and gives great support. I used double boots for over 30 years and the switch was pretty easy.

I just switched from a vector boot and HRT to double vectors this last weekend. I liked the HRT at first because it did keep my rear foot in place better than the rtp. Just over a year and i think it has broke in enough that it is allowing my foot to move more than i would like.

The main reason i went with the HRT over double boot in the forst place is because i was still learning deepwater starts and just couldnt do it consistently in the boots.

I really have no complaints about the HRT as it did what i wanted and always releases when necessary.

• Baller

@Andre Yes I start Both Feet in mainly because when competing there were some short lakes, so not much time to get the foot in, but I could never kick my back foot in like some, wide feet for the size, I find that my foot doesn't always end up in the same place, never used to be much of a problem because, if I could feel the front binding it was all good, but now I prefer a gap between my rear foot and front binding, water temperature can play a part.

I suppose the only other thing is to put some kind of stop as a reference point as long as it doesn't feel strange.

• Baller
I tried to go from RTP to the HRTP last year and didn’t like it. I’ve never run double boots so it was uncomfortable for me and I didn’t like my back foot locked in like that. I have a size 9 foot that’s pretty wide and I kicked into it no problem at all. Everyone has their preference so it might be great for someone else.

• Baller

I completely agree with @dvskier. I had the same situation and timing on use of double boot, and went to same combination of Profile and HRTP back binding. Seems to release when it needs to, both feet are comfortable.

My back heel has always lifted, which resulted in premature wear on the back binding (or intense blisters on back of heel!)

Used the new combination all last year very happy with it, finally feel that variability of back foot placement in binding is no longer an issue.

Side benefit is that this combination is somewhat less expensive than dual boot!

• Baller
I went from an rtp to an hrt late last year. I was on the fence about it after taking 3-4 sets on it last year, but have really come to love it as this year progressed. Keeps your foot from sliding, but still gives you plenty of ankle flexibility to help get weight forward.

• Baller

I went from double d3 t factors to a HRT with the BOA laces and am very happy!

I didn’t like the rear t factor as it would rub my ankle due to the foward flex of my ankle/ leg. No issues with the HRT.

I also think the the move to the HRT has reduced my bad habit of stomping down with my back leg. Noticed by not having a soar quad muscle in my back leg. This also could be due to me being aware of this habit and trying to do it less :)

While I haven’t noticed it I do totally follow the issue of heal lifting and maybe not resetting properly. If you lift your rear heal this might be an issue as the rear of the HRT is pretty straight up and down so if you go over the top of the back I don’t think your foot will just drop back in easily.

• Baller

@oldjeep did you get the larger size? Mine i use fully loose but would have trouble kicking into. More of a wiggle.

@keithh2oskier i made my own r style rear out of a FM boot I had around. I might revisit it if/when my hrt wears out. What I preferred about it was how smooth the heel moved up and down as the liner moved with my foot. What I disliked was all the moving peices. Even when I used double boots once my liners dried I put them into the shells and was ready to go ski next time. The cut down boot i was always swimming for my liner.

• Baller
After an abysmal 1st day out with the HRT I cut down a little of the padding at the toe and pushed it one more hole forward, in addition to loosening it a little so my foot slid a little farther forward. Today had as good of a set I have had in recent memory.

• Baller
The HRT is pretty much all I use now coming from RTP. I start with 1 foot in and can get the back foot in on the fly.. it is easier on your back as compared to double boots out of the water plus you can get more lateral leverage with the HRT compared to RTP ..

• Baller

@MS sorry, I am a bit slow on the uptake here - I didn't go from a rear boot, but from an R style. I had the lace HRT first and now the Boa.

I do like the laced version, but the Boa is a distinct improvement - I like the Boa closure, its ease of use and adjustability - and the 2019 boot is an improvement too. It is extremely comfortable, provides good support and releases very well:

mgq8okjh4uqi.jpg

Good luck and earn yourself an IPA.

• Baller

Is this the "show us your Vapor/HRT setup" thread....ha.

ju5ue241ldgf.jpg

Shown here with the optional Mastercraft Prostar fitted with ski racks.

I cut a good 1/2 inch out of the foam in the front so I could push closer to the front boot as I felt my rear foot was too far back from the front boot previously.

• Baller_

On my 4th set since getting the lace up HRT from @RAWSki and my fear going in was tip rise when I get back to the handle. To date only a Wiley rear would work for me after trying many rear boot set ups and toe plates. I am really liking the feel of the HRT and it has really helped my on side. After reading @Sivota I need to score a BOAskgz9v1odiuw.jpeg

• Baller

Even though i start both feet in with my RTP,i like to kick it back in solidly after getting up and also take my foot out in between passes to relax my knee.

Seems to be 50\50 the peoples that can kick in...

About you @MS ?

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
The '19 HRT has the boa and matches the vapor pretty well. I had just purchased the '18 HRT, but would have waited if I knew the '19 would have the boa. Tho in the HRT I don't see the boa being a huge deal. Once I got the tightness I wanted with the draw strings, I can leave it and its stayed pretty consistent.