Gas station ad

Ilivetoski

• Baller_

Boats do not need the octane level of premium gas, they are under 10:1 compression ratio and run very cool compared to automotive, the radiator is enormous.

Cool ad.

• Baller
The new H6 direct injected 6.2 likes 93 octane and will make max power on it. It doesn't hurt it to run all the way down to 87, but the ECM will detune it by taking timing advance away reducing horsepower. The older 6.0 is fine on 87 octane and does not detune on it. I'm 100% in agreement on non-alcohol fuels if you can find them. There are too many downsides to inducing alcohol into a marine environment to list with no upside (OK maybe cheaper). If you have to buy premium to get alcohol free, in my opinion it is well worth it. The other advantage to premium in applications that don't require it is longer shelf life. If the statistic of losing one octane point per month of storage is true, you can buy 93 octane and still be at 87 octane if left in the boat (or low sales volume marina tank) for six months. (I am sure stabil or seafoam help minimize the loss in octane over time.

• Baller
I always ran Premium non-ethanol in my SN196. I figured it cost between 50 and 75 cents extra per set compared to regular. Pretty minimal expense in the grand scheme of things. I had good ski buddies who paid for gas, so I guess I transferrred the expense to them...no one complained and the boat always ran great.

Here is a tip to find ethanol free gasoline. Find out where the local farmers get their fuel. Most old farm equipment won't fun well on fuel with ethanol. That's correct the farmers that supply the corn to make it don't want to use it in their machines. My brother in laws are farmers. They buy 87 octane non ethanol gas for farm use!

• Baller
@liquid_d. No one was bringing gas. I trailered the boat to the ski lake every time, and I'd put the gas in at the pump...Shell 93 Octane Non-Ethanol. Ski buddies would bring cash and leave it in my glove box at the end of each ski day. Guys who didn't bring cash would usually get the bar tab at Outback or On The Border after skiing. It was a good system....

Taking some timing out is lowering the power of the motor. There are motors (vehicles mainly) that run fine on 10% ethanol fuels. In the service manuals for vehicles if you run 15% ethanol fuel it calls for more frequent or shorter service intervals. Given a choice I avoid the stuff. All motors run better and last longer it appears with less ethanol fuels.

• Baller

Premum fuel has zero benefit for an engine that does not require higher octane for a high compression ratio. The higher octane results in slower composition required for high compression engines to avoid knocking, thought almost all modern engines retard the ignition to avoid knocking and only result in a slight decrease in HP at high rpm.

There is one additional benefit of premium fuel; higher profits for oil compani, refineries and gas stations.

• Baller

Ya'll read and follow your owners manuals on gasoline requirements and send the savings to me once a month or so.

Who if not the manufacturer has more interest in the performance and longevity of its marine engine product?

• Baller
Well I guess I have been wanting my money all these years. I stopped at a couple different stations the last few times i filled up and looked around for a sign detailing the amount of ethanol. Several of them stated < =10%. We need an app that shows ethanol free fuel stations.

In Wisconsin many gas stations sell premium without ethanol. They usually have signs advertising this. Regular and mid grade without ethanol are harder to find. Farmers know where to find it so co-ops with gas stations usually sell it. In Wisconsin the Fleet Farm gas stations sell mid grade and premium without ethanol. There are others but it does require some research although many station have signs advertising non ethanol fuel. You may want to avoid E-85 and E-88 fuels unless your manufacturer says they are OK to use.

• Baller
2nd paragraph on the right side of the page is enough for me to keep running non-ethanol fuel. My boat is my most expensive motorized vehicle, so I'll do what I can to keep each component in top-notch shape, even if it costs another 30 cents a gallon.

• Baller

Here is a snip from the 2018 PCM manual that details what I mentioned earlier, i.e. 87 is ok, but for optimum performance use 93 on the 6.2 H6. By the way it is higher compression than the 5.3 at 11.5:1.

wxkhqsniev6i.png

• Baller
@DynaSkiPete Good point. I have seen fuel lines in boats that were supposedly E10 safe that were swelled up three times their normal size. I believe that a lot of the issues with E10 are separation, especially in a marina tank that is very low sales volume. Once the gas separates from the alcohol the customer may get 100% gas or may get up to 100% alcohol, depending on the where the pickup is in relation to the layers in the tank. The same thing could happen in a boat tank. Absorbing moisture is another problem that can then separate out causing water in the fuel system. If there is no option for pure gas, try to buy gas from stations that have high volume. My local Costco gets three to four semi loads per day (according to the attendant). I do know that they usually have a line and have 20 pumps going almost non-stop all day.

Premium can be old gas too. Buying from a busy station is a great idea. However when they are delivering the bottom of the tank can be stirred up. My brother in law had to pull his boat gas tank to empty it of crap when this happened to him. He had bought premium. Station gave him a full tank of new gas afterwards. They were sorry. OOPS!