Micro-Just on rear binding?

C5Quest

• Baller
Finally got around to putting the Mikro-Just on my front (2018 Vapor Pro). Can’t believe I didn’t do it sooner. Just wondering if anyone has put one on the rear to match the Bf adjustments. I ski with rear toe as close as possible to front heel and now have to deal with gaps in the plates as I adjust front due to holes not matching up on the rear. I’ve skied with different gaps and noticed quite a difference with varying space before settling in close as possible. Figured if I’m going for micro adjustments on the front shouldn’t I be able to match the rear with each move? Am I crazy or over thinking this? If I make one move I can adjust both bindings as one unit and deal with one variable at a time, not a Bf and new space. Running Reflex 2.0 front, R style rear. @SkiJay Help!

• Baller

I've been using Micro-Just on both the front and rear bindings for some time. With my 2018 NRG, the rear makes the biggest difference. Spacing between the two is critical and you can only find the sweet spot with small adjustments to fine tune it. The standard 1/8th inch move is to much. Has a lot to do with how responsive you want the ski to be. Mine is perfect right now, but could not have attained that without trial and error using the rear Micro-Just.

• Baller

It's easy to install one if you are using a reflex rear plate where the slots are parallel to the ski like front plates. Still not that difficult if you put your plate straight. It would require heavier mod to install one if you ski with your plate turned.

I would like to know what others have come up with to solve this.

• Baller

@C5Quest

You pretty much answered your own question when you said you'd prefer to deal with one variable at a time. Ideally, that's the case. But while micro adjustability on both bindings is ideal, the fabulous Mikro-Just system is not cheap. And if I were only going to use one (which I do btw) it would definitely be on the front.

If you turn around the the ball with most of your weight on your front foot as you should, then the precise location of the front binding has a tremendous effect on how the tail of the ski smears. The rear binding affects this smear too. But with good technique, the rear binding mostly affects your access to, and posture over, your front foot. And while getting the rear binding as close as possible to the front is nearly always preferable, micro adjustability isn't as critical on the back as it is on the front, ideal – yes, critical – not as much.

• Baller

Totally agree wth @SkiJay on the placement of the front binding. However, on my NRG, the exact placement of the rear binding is critical to me in that it controls the SENSITIVITY of the ski. If it's to far forward the ski is too sensitive and will hunt from side to side. To far back and the ski is sluggish. The sweet spot is between the forward hole and the next hole back. Only by grinding out the slots and using the microtuner could I find this exact sweet spot. I found it hard to believe at first how such a small adjustment could make such a big difference.

I would always recommend getting the front boot where you want it first, then fine tuning the rear. For me the front controls the turn and the rear the sensitivity.