2019 Nautique 200 vs. Prostar

chipkimball

• Baller

2019 MC PS Arizona Promo boat arrives home. Unbelievable attention to the needs of the three even skier. Only slalom skied behind it so far. Coming from the CP the wake is so very close, if there is a difference one can not tell. Just enough control telemetry, and no extraneous gadgetry to control the wakes. Love this boat. Simple elegance is all I can say. Look forward to skier input in AZ. It has been a very long time since MC has been present in the tournament scene here.

l1abzhup0z0j.jpg

fw54h1ozcnmt.jpg

• Baller

As a nautique loyalist, I have to admit there some really cool aspects to the new MC’s and hence I will seriously look at both for my next purchase:

* hard top cover for the open bow

* New “cool vinyl” option that doesn’t get hot

* Interior finish with the space for ski racks and the flooring options

* MC builds their own trailers

• Baller
The looks of the new Ski Nautique are a non-starter. The boat looks unbelievably, comically bad. If I had a gun to my head right now I'd buy an MC in a heartbeat as it's the last good looking boat out there, hands down. That said I'm really really glad I bought a 200 while they still existed and while I was able to get the DI motor in there. Amazing combination, amazing powerplant.

• Baller
Quick question for you Nautique 200 owners. How easy is it to keep those storage lockers dry, and mold free? My boat (1994 Ski Nautique) is on a covered lift all summer, but it never really dries out. I never store any ski gear under the bow or in the small storage compartments. It comes out as soon as I get back to the dock to dry. Family member stored a rope in a small compartment once, and a few days later I was cleaning mold off the carpet. I LOVE Natutiques, but the ski racks, extra walk around room, and hard top of the Prostar seem like huge advantages based on the way we use our boat. We always ski from the house, and when it's cruising time all the extra stuff stays on the dock.

• Baller_
I think the hard top is overrated and expensive. If you have an open bow, you have an open bow. The main things I would get are Ballast system under passenger seat, the great rubber floor, Bimini and in our case no back seat. (Sits in basement until boat sells)

• Baller
@tjs1295 The saddlebag compartments are vented fairly well. That big chrome vent amidships in the interior (under that little step on each side) vents that compartment. The best part about the saddlebag compartments is that they protect your gear from sun and from any casual passersby who might want to lift something from your boat. Key for any public outings or boat trips. Of course that doesn't really matter on private water.

• Baller
I agree with the open bow being overrated. I certainly don't want one, but since I won't be buying new, most used boats that can have either, seem to have the open bow. Perfect scenario for me would be closed bow 200, without ski lockers. Obviously not an option.

• Baller
Drove the MasterCraft last night night pulling MS. Boat felt like it was in a left slip. I kept pushing right rudder which of course in a boat doesn't exist! Beautiful boat and great pull but was a really weird feel for a pilot.

• Baller

Thanks for the saddlebag info. I'm sure there's plenty of room especially compared to my old boat. MS, do you still have the 2013 closed bow 200? Will be looking to upgrade in a few years, but not sure I can swing one year old promo boats (no matter which company I go with). Plus, you're not very far from me.

• Baller
@tjs1295 - If you can get power to the dock, put a dehumidifier in your boat. If not, Damp -Rid works well (it's what I use since I have to store my boat outdoors under a portable canopy). I did fight mildew all the time with my 2009 SN in the rear trunk and sometimes on the vinyl combing pads and rear seat. I've had no issues with my 16 MC which has no back seat and no vinyl aft of the driver's seat (where the moisture tends to be from getting into and out of the boat, rope on the floor, ski gear, etc.). The Damp-Rid made a HUGE difference. Just wish I could get power there so I could use a dehumidifier instead since I have to replace the Damp-Rid Monthly on average. Even so, $10.00 to $12.00 per month is a small price to pay for a dry, mildew free boat.

@scotchipman to answer your question on the 5.7 2014 Prostar.

1) MasterCraft didn't have the gear ratio right for the 5.7 in 2014. They fixed that for 2015.

2) that boat we demoed in 2014 also had the 4 blade prop which only made things worse that day.

This summer I skied an 18 Prostar at 3000ft in Montana and the boat is amazing! Note this 18 was running the 4 blade and was still insanely strong on the holeshot. It actually felt stronger than my 14 6.2 granted 2000ft higher than Montana.

Had a long talk with a local pro who is 100% sure the MC with 5.7 and 3 blade will kill 36mph at 4500ft at the longer set up lakes like Stillwater, Calls Fort, Bear Hollow, Last Chance, Utah Lake. I have to agree with him after the experience I had in Montana.

We did however question how it would do at Sunten 5000ft on the short set up of LK 2.

"To clarify it was a 2014 5.7 ProStar that would not pull a skier at 36mph at 4,500 ft in Utah when I tested it in 2014...can't remember the prop it had on it.

Malibu is marinizing their own engines for 2019 in select boats, will be 2020 for the Response which I hear will also have the 6.2.

My 2018 Response with the 6.0 has not problem pulling a skier at 36mph at 4,500 ft in Utah with the 13" x 11.5" three blade ACME, Nick Parsons tested. If you use the standard 13" x 12" three blade ACME at elevation with a short set up you will have problems. The 6.0 is not as strong as the 6.2 which and does not have the hole shot of the 6.2 but it is very strong once upto speed."

• Baller
The MTS ballast system is combined with the set-up controls and automatically fills and empties with the preset skier/ driver profiles. Very slick. I agree every boat should have a ballast system for leveling. My 1999 MC had one. They have been around a long time.

• Baller

Friend has a 2015 txi and if you don't counter and have driver only the spray off the canted driver's side just misses you at 32 off in no wind conditions. The big, wide boats seem to tilt more than the older boats. Passenger ballast tanks seem cool, but so do the bags of shot with handles on the ends...pretty easy in/out or move around. If you have a passenger just slide it to the pylon. If not put it to port side.

Does weight on a MC Prostar port side in the bow take care of two issues: helps drive-ability and level the boat if no spotter?

• Baller
6balls: Yes it does level the boat at the push of button, and it is infinitely variable. Handy especially if someone jumps in the boat at the last minute. As far as drivability, a level boat will drive straight and turn better. It is a very simple system.

• Administrators

@6balls the ballast system in the ProStar is great for leveling the boat. If I have a driver who is 180 - 200 lbs I hit two buttons to fill it up and the boat is basically going to be level without a passenger.

I skied today with a hundred and sixty pound driver and no passenger. I filled the ballast 2/3 of the way and it was great. Required one additional touchscreen press.

As for drivability that's a different issue. I added some weight to the bow of my ProStar and found that I didn't need to grind up my Rudder at all. My previous boat we ground on it a tiny bit and didn't add bow weight. Whatever.

• Baller
When you set skier profiles, there are 16 available, you also set ballast settings. Many skiers have the same drivers, so this is a great feature. I watch boats on our lake run down the course with a hug wall of spray flowing from the drivers side. Must be a very asymmetrical wake.