Boat recommendations

JRKoontz

I am in the market to buy a used ski boat and am overwhelmed by the amount of information out there so hoping you can help! I am an intermediate skier and mom of 2 small kids, so not likely to improve drastically in the next few years. I ski at 28 mph, 15 off and maybe can improve to 30mph, but can't see me ever getting to 34-36 mph. My last boat was a 1995 Sea Ray Signature 200, a multi purpose boat, whose wake was not harsh and very ski-able. I will only be doing open skiing and anticipate my children will not love skiing like I do, so would like the option to use it for a wakeboarding (but this shouldn't be the driving factor). However, if I am going to buy a boat, I want to buy one that I will love skiing behind.

Any suggestions of boats to focus on, esp given how I ski. Also any suggestions on places to test out a variety of boats? I'm in GA, but drive to the lake in NC, so can drive a bit to find it. I just don't want to drive all over the map testing out 1 boat at a time! Our budget is probably $25-35K, unless there is an amazing one that is just outside of the budget. (kids need boats over college funds, right!?)

• Baller
I think for skiers in your speed range and beginners, kids, etc. it's hard to beat a MC Pro Star 205. Small soft wakes, easy towing at approx, 2,500 lbs., and lots of room for the fam' and a few friends. You can find really really nice ones in the 15 to 20k range.

• Baller
With a family I would say an OB for more room and storage and nothing over 21’ for better wakes. Nautique, Master Craft and Malibu all offer great boats buy as new as you can with under 700 hours $35,000 should get you something no more than 7 years old. Older will need more mainance you just want to spend time on the water having fun not time fixing things or time at the shop

• Baller
We have a '03 nautique 206. It can do everything (Slalom course or open water, barefoot, wakeboard, trick, booze cruise, etc), but does nothing perfect. Wake is soft but bigger than the 196 for slower slalom speeds. With the boat weighted, the wake has been described as "juicy" by some local wakeboarders.

• Baller
As was mentioned Malibu Sunsetter LXI, possibly a Response LXI (same idea as the Sunsetter, just a touch smaller with less freeboard) and I will throw in a wild card with a Malibu Sunscape 20LSV. It’s essentially a V-drive Sunsetter LXI and if you are an open water skier, bumping the speed to 30 or more the wakes are not really that bad. 34-36 they are better than any IO and give some direct drives a run for their money.

• Baller

With kids who may or may not like skiing I wouldn’t go for a pure ski boat. I have an ‘00 sunsetter lxi and it’s a wonderful family boat and has a better wake than most every MC I’ve skied behind.

If it were me, I’d seriously consider a ‘07-‘15 Malibu VTX. You can ski at your speeds no problem, it has great room for kids, and can surf, which I bet your kids will be more likely to be into. This is the best option for you if you ask me.

• Baller
If you don’t introduce your kids to skiing they definitely won’t love it. I would go with a Malibu Response LXI with a wedge. It will be a great boat for you to ski and with the wedge is a great entry wakeboard boat. Share your love of skiing with your kids. Teach them to ski, trick ski, wakeboard, wakeskate and surf. Just keep them away from tubes

• Baller

Please please please

You are a good skier!! Buy a great ski boat that caters first and foremost to your skiing!!! Then, as a second priority - distant second - maybe you can try to make it a decent family boat or a decent boarding boat or whatever. Way too often I think parents in your shoes end up putting out self-fulfilling prophecy. They predict that their kids will want to ride sideways more than skiing so they buy a boat more well-suited for that.

Surprise surprise when the kid is 100 pounds and 12 years old riding behind a boat with a big wake, that he doesn't think skiing is all that fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my 97 SNOB, but they quit making them in 02, so you won't find them making it up to $25k. In that price range, I think it's a no-brainer to go with a response lxi with a tower and a wedge for crossover capability. Similar to something like this.

Please please please give your kids a chance to be waterskiers first. Then IF they really want to be wakeboarders, you have a tower, you drop the wedge, and you can even pack in 500 pounds of ballast if they really want. At that rate they ought to be able to be REALLY good wakeboarders before this boat isn't enough for them.

Thank you for everyone's insight and help. If only Malibu and Mastercraft could name their boats with some consistency it would make the search that much easier! As a side note, I completely agree with you Chef23 and escmanaze. I plan on introducing them to skiing (the 6 year old should be able to ski unassisted this year) way before the other sports. Selfishly I am looking for a boat I love and then they will love it too, but also trying to anticipate future needs. I now have a good list to start testing out.

• Baller
Agree about the Wedge it does the best trick of cross-over . If you are looking at early 2000 craft you might find a good deal on some of the "other boats" of the day . An MB210 with tower. Great trunk space that can be loaded with ballast or lighten it up for decent ski wakes (think MC205) A 21' Tige with TAPS. Another wake shaping tool. Or a Centurion Elite or Eclipse. An open bow built on the Falcon hull that puts our a very decent slalom wake . Happy Hunting .

• Baller
Most wakeboarders never need the wake that a wakeboarding boat throws. A Response with a wedge and tower will throw plenty of wake for most. If the kids progress that much into wakeboarding it will be 7 or more years at least until they might need a bigger wake and you will have gotten a ton of use out of what you bought to ski behind.