Why are most promo boats OB?

TEL

• Baller
Why are most promo boats OB? Is it for better resale? To me CB boats look better and I do not what anyone up there pulling a skier. MC has a good compromise by the Use of the front cap. It’s like when I was younger everyone only wanted a two door car no one wanted four doors. Now most kids want four doors. My cars today only have two doors only my truck has four.

• Baller
So there's more to clean after every use. I think it's a false theory, depending on who the target re-sale market is. The need for open bow for re-sale sounds more like an old excuse on why boats aren't selling, not a market demand. Most tournament/private lake skiers would prefer closed bow, but it's been hard to find well equipped closed bow promo's without pre-ordering them.

• Baller
OB is also easier to wipe down after each set on the lift. Or you could splay yourself over the top of the close bow wiping the top and down the sides of the bow...and then yes there is the re-sale. Geez it's the same hull seems a no brainer. Closed bow less flexibility and thus less resale market.

• Baller
My experience is because they are easier to sell to people who think they want an open bow. Most never use the open bow area after buying, my strong preference was always closed bow, but bought what I though would be easier to sell. It seems a trend was back to more closed bows for those who previously bought open bow and found they didn't use that area. I can see a use for those on public lakes, but then again, large wakes on public wakes would make them more likely to take water over the bow when populated. Personally I had driving a boat with someone sitting in front of me that I can't see through.

• Baller_

Best part about the open bow is the walkthrough and air dam. Great spot to put your clothes while skiing.

I have to say that MC’s idea of the hard bow cover is brilliant. Best of both worlds. Why didn’t I think of that?

Lpskier

• Baller
I bought a promo OB 200 for slalom training on a public lake. Two to three sets behind a comp boat first thing in the morning while it’s quiet, then drag the kids around with their friends all afternoon. Great utility for the family.

• Baller

@Chef23 my open water experience is the opposite!

That closed bow is awesome for standing on while cranking down/up the lift or to sit on while anchored at the sand bar/jump off. The hidden space is great for the stuff that lives in the boat (like my 4 pack of orange life vests for the DNR) and anchors/lines under the seat. Trick ski lives up there for rougher days so you have something to ride if its too blown out for slalom (we can ski smaller coves and such).

• Baller

@BraceMaker we frequently will have people sitting up there when we have company and it is another place to hang out when we are just cruising around or sitting in the sun. I definitely want the open bow flexibility.

For me the open bow is a benefit for covering the boat as well. I walk in the bow to get the cover on the boat at the dock. Plus if we are just going to ski the course I just throw the cover in the front of the boat I never even take it out.

@rayn has the new MC and that is a great option although I am not sure he has had the hard cover off the bow.

• Baller
@Chef23 how big of a lake? the open water we use is about 8 miles long and up to 3 miles across in areas, so for a good portion of any skiing we generally need to pound our way in the 8-15 mph range till we get into protected shoreline. I can't imagine having someone up there during that. Similarly we'd probably not have them up there during skiing unless they were really small. Just a tough format of boat for lots of people. As much as people complain about pickleforks I'd just bet you could make a slalom bihull bow with way more bow seating and make it work since that would be out of the water a good deal while skiing. But atleast for us most of the boats in the OB DD format are just very low riding for the amount of wave action we deal with. I've been saying the new prostar would be a good alternative although I'd probably want a snap in place bow tarp so we could close it up, then stow that in calm water.

• Baller
I rode around my lake this morning, out of the 9 ski boats 2 are OB. I live on a small lake it's not a man made lake. I get it if your out on a big lake or river for the day.

• Baller
We use our boat like a pontoon boat once the skiing is done. Load up with people and putt putt around the lake or go anchor at the sand bar. Not uncommon to put 2 pax up front for that. Usually either kids or a couple.

• Baller
Just talking about this at the tournament I am at. I have had the the cover of twice. Once to learn how to take it off and once to actually use it. Still a great feature, but with my kids grown I probably won't need it as much.

• Baller
@ALPJr very cool pics of the Carlson-Glastron. I stand corrected......I had been telling People American Skier had an optional bow cover on their Volante OB in the early 90's. MC didn't invent the idea but they did a great job with the concept.

• Baller

My brother did lots of family entertaining. He has a Prostar with the lid and other than when brand new the lid sits in the house. I'd go OB all day and twice on Sunday...more flexible...and if I were promo I think easier sale.

I do have a closed bow outboard (barefoot boat) at home...and it has so much more cockpit space that I don't need the open bow and the closed bow provides cavernous storage.

For my slalom tractor at the swamp...I don't care. Right now CB Nautique 196.

To each their own...all great boats. I'm not gonna cry if someone wants to put their CB on my lift and let me use it for a while!

• Baller
I like closed bows. My previous 3 ski boats were closed bows. I had a list of people who wanted them every time I went to sell. "Closed bows are so hard to find." I tend to order my boats the way I want them, for me. When I lived in Seattle and occasionally went out on Lake Washington we seemed to get hit with huge boat rollers. Water up on the bow and sometimes a little over the windshield, but water shed right off. With open bow would be swamped well over the bilges. The compartment under the front deck is huge, long and carpeted on most. Great place for skis, protected and out of sun. Cooler behind drivers seat, ropes, wakeboards (grimace), vests in saddle bag compartments, clean floor. CB was great there. But then 90% on private lake, now 100% on private lake skiing off a dock. And my wife likes CB better as well, she's a smart lady (and a good driver).