How much should a new boat cost?

DynaSkiPete

I'm curious what people think a new boat should cost. Keep in mind what you make and spend on housing, vehicles, ATV's, UTV's, Snowmobilles, Motorcycles, dining out, golf, phone, internet, TV, food, coffee, etc. Also do you make payments on your boat? What is a comfortable payment if you make one?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Given that the US inflation rate has gone up 17% in the last 10 years and the MSRP of a Chevy Malibu has increased in price by about 10% I'd say that the MSRP on a new Nautique should be in the mid $60k range. That's based on an educated guess on the MSRP of a 2008 196, according to what I paid for my '08 196 back then.

• Supporting Member

The son-of-economist in me has to point out that a boat should cost whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

But I can answer to what I am willing to pay for one, and that caps at $40k. A huge component of that is cost of ownership, so I would be willing to pay considerably more if others were also! Basically I want to own a boat for about 10 years and I want to see depreciation of not much more than $15k. So I can go $105k new if somebody is willing to pay $90k for a decade-old boat :smile:

Barring that, I'm out of the new boat market.

• Baller

Should who knows? I won't pay over $40K for something I use 4 months/yr. I also don't finance anything...I'm allergic to interest. I'm a used buyer in rapidly depreciating assets.

Most I've paid so far is $17K for a bubble butt 8 yrs ago and it's great...talk about bang for the buck! Looking at a Porshe Boxster for $10K right now--also a 4 month-of-the-year toy but I can use it on windy days, too!

• Baller_
Whatever the market will bear, depends a lot on the target demographic. Hence a fully loaded new Nautique/MC/Malibu can command a pretty stiff MSRP. The rest of us buy them used, and I always found my race cars/boats under the 'divorce forces sale' heading.

• Baller

I would not finance a boat. What they should cost is obviously a complicated question. I use a boat 3-4 months a year and don't have enough disposable income to buy a 70K boat right now. That said my boat is a 2002 and has around 1,000 hours on it. I am unlikely to replace it in the short time. It helps me that my primary ski partner bought a 2016 MC Promo last year however even without that I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace my boat.

In this case a boat is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I know this doesn't help you.

• Baller
This is obviously purely and opinion, but it seems that you should be able to buy a base model in the 40k range and load it up for 60k. When I say base that includes the powertrain and cruise control system. No fluffy stuff.

• Baller

I have trouble stomaching more than $1000 in expected depreciation a year. That's already a good chunk of the annual skiing budget I've agreed to with the boss.

Of course, I'll take lower if I can get it because that means more money for gas and repairs.

• Baller
This conversation always comes up... One manufacturer even came out with a barebones boat at a lower price point and no one bought it. Everyone thinks they want a cheap barebones brand new boat but when it’s time to buy one everyone goes with a used big 3. Not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing, but this conversation happens all the time with the same results.

• Baller

@MS that is awesome.

Obviously your income level has everything to do with your boat purchase. In my case it was a one time purchase in 1999 for an almost new '99 RLX. I will do whatever it takes to keep her in top shape.

• Baller
@MS conceptually I agree but what we have in current ski boats are closer to Mercedes and BMWs than a Ford. There doesn't appear to be enough of a market for a Ford ski tug to justify building them. This has been beaten up here but there isn't a Ford/GM version of a ski tug.

New, I'd think about $70K MSRP, maybe $60K'ish out the door nicely equipped. My upper price would be around 40K, obviously used. That would be a pretty affordable payment on a boat that I'd keep for the life of the loan and most likely longer

• Baller

I'll pay more for a boat than a truck. They seem to hold their value better and I'm not wearing out a boat every 5-9 years. Besides I'm not sure where I'm going to find a new boat for 35K, which is roughly what my last 2 pickups cost new. Even at 6 years old my boat is worth more than the brand new truck I'm towing it with (and still worth roughly what I paid for it 4 years ago)

• Baller
@DynaSkiPete -- my CCRs make anything other than an AWSA approved direct drive valueless to me. Training for slalom/jump has reasonably priced used alternatives - I have a CC196. Getting tournament ready in trick requires finding a neighbor or ski school that has the current boat - its MUCH harder, but I would rather spend the money on a place by a ski school and lessons than on a new boat. Even if you came up with an AWSA approved outboard or V drive I couldn't run it on my lake.

• Baller
For our ski club up North in the late 1970s, our promo boat was a little over $7,000. We took out a bank loan and paid the interest. At the end of the season, about October, we were always able to sell the boat for what we paid, after 6 months of use. Inflation would put that amount at around $30,000. today. But, today's boats are more fancy; don't know if they are $50k more fancy, though.

• Baller
Depends how you define ski boat. Where I grew up in the 70's the local ski school and boat rental Speed & Ski used 15ft MFG bow riders with a 85hp Johnson. I'm guessing if you polled a cross section of all ski and wake sport enthusiasts you'd land in a range of 10 to 30k.

• Baller
In theory if someone started started buying up 1994 Prostar 190's and 1997 Ski Nautiques, putting modern engines/ZO in them and selling them for $30,000, would it put a dent in new boat sales? My guess is no.

• Baller

My dad bought our first MC in 79. It was a 76 model and he paid $3,500, which was about a couple of months of salary for him. Let's compare that to today's boat prices which are several times higher than wages have increased for the average man.

To answer your question, I'd put my limit around 40k for a good hull, bare bones boat with speed control. That's more than a couple of months salary for me, but I don't see another way. Looking at ski-it-again, a 40k budget puts me in a 2010 - 2013 (big 3) if I limit the hours to under 1k.

• Baller

$35K, maybe tops $40 for more decked out, and I suppose you could add more options. Good hull, good motor, decent seats and flooring, bow like the Mastercrafts, zero off. No sound at that price. Racks available as option.

Seems to me if you can get a RAM 1500 starting at just below 28k MSRP, and a 2500 starting at just under 33k, you can put together a boat as described above for that. New 5.7L V8 1500 for 27.4k

But, that is my subjective "should" only, and apparently the market says otherwise, and the companies make their shareholders more money pricing as they do.

• Baller

I can’t control the price of new boats, so I don’t worry too much about it. I also have no plans to ever buy a new one.

The monthly payment thing doesn’t interest me. Under most circumstances, I could never justify financing a depreciating asset used for leisure for a portion of the year.

I can’t see myself ever buying a ski boat that is not a direct drive inboard.

• Baller

@Rpc29 correct - it would not.

Most aren't going to plunk 30K cash on an old boat when they could finance 70K on a new boat. That's not a market that I think exists.

But when you look at our sport the DD boats are being sold to people who can afford houses on private ski lakes and are willing to do so and we talk of the sport being dead. It is this force that is driving the ability to charge this type of coin and it just limits our options for other things to do.

• Baller

Why not just re power what ever boat with a new engine and current ZO? I'm sure Jody has put a number on this in the past, but how much would it be for that if I pull up with my (insert boat model here)....

Yes. I understand that trick wakes will make a difference for some, but otherwise if it tracks well and has good spray characteristics most skiers are GTG.

• Baller
@BraceMaker Agreed, and I'm sort of that buyer...minus the private lake thing. Taking $30k and spreading it across payments on a brand new boat allows many years of enjoyment. Then sell it when your done for as much or more than owed. Do that on a promo or non-current model, and you're sitting even better. However, I do completely understand why a lot of people hate financing. One does sleep well not owing anybody a thing.

• Baller

@UWSkier So I'm on the fence between you and @swc5150 30K is too much raw capital to have in a boat or car or really any depreciating asset.

From that perspective financing a new boat can make sense compared to owning a used boat outright. But 70K is just too much for a toy to cost.

Interesting comments so far except for the usual couple as I expected. They could build inboards for less than an outboard ski boat but as long as people will pay more they ask more. There are many ways they could save money painlessly but that is a long story itself.

So why do manufacturers keep changing the bottom of their boats? The current one is the best ever until next year. This I'll never understand as you slalom folks are still just trying to go around the buoys which has not changed ever.

• Administrators

@DynaSkiPete the same reason why we're not all driving 1972 Volkswagen Beetles. Generally speaking, new boats are better. Progress.

Some disagree but the Nautique 200 is generally better than the 196. If nothing else it's radically better to drive.

The ProStar is way better to ski behind than a 197. The current hull has much smaller flatter wakes.

The Malibu TXi is also certainly better than previous version.

Is the arms race for more expensive, more complicated, and more precision boats good for the sport? That is a completely different subject. Bottom line is our standards and tolerances are higher as the years go on.

• Administrators
I think in the current environment if you can't afford a late model tournament boat it's just not rocket science to find an old boat and repower it plus zero off. It just makes too much sense to get a 10 or 20 year old version of The Big Three or a 5 year old Centurian as opposed to a new cheap another brand boat that was not really designed for what we do.

• Baller

@BraceMaker I get what you're saying, but the bulk of the depreciation is out of the picture with most late model boats. Even if you flip your boats every year, unless you're getting a screaming discount up front, the boat is costing you at least a few grand per year. Say you finance a 70k boat, make payments for a year, and sell it for 62k. Do that 3x. Now say you buy a 30k used boat, use it for three years, and sell it for 25k.

Boat flipping after 3 years cost you $24k not including interest which is probably another 2k or so. Owning the older boat cost you 5k. Difference of $19k. To earn $19k on $30k over 3 years you'd need to put the money into something earning upwards of 16%. To offset interest on the financing, it'd probably be closer to 19%. If you have any solid options for that sort of guaranteed return, please PM me! :)

@DynaSkiPete the manufacturers modify the hulls because newer designs get the job done differently than previous boats. The hulls these days "shape" the water more, usually at the cost of fuel efficiency or barefooting performance.