How do you start your relationship with your new ski?

Keith_Menard

• Baller

I have an older Senate C...first started doing the course with it and wanted an upgrade. Got into a 66" 2017 Vapor Pro for reasonable money...took it right into the course and I swear I forgot how to ski. I can't seem to get into a stack from my off side after the turn.

So...when you upgrade...how do you bond with your new ski?

• Baller

Sometimes it is awkward like a first date, and other times it feels pretty comfortable from the start. When I went from my old 9100 to an HO, I don’t think I ran a pass my first set, but it turned into a great relationship. My change to a green Vapor was easier.

Give it a few sets and then think about a setting change if the problem is persistent.

• Baller

Kinda like this. Love him, hug him, kiss him, and call him George.

Joking aside, for me, I set up at stock recs, and go from there. So far, stock works well for me. I have always, or at least for a long, long time, been in the Kidder then D3 world. Each ski I have purchased has felt familiar and comfortable, but better each time. So, set up stock and start skiing is how I begin my relationship. And a little loving and kissing.

• Baller

I had a similar experience. Went from an older senate to the 2014? green vapor. I loved how fast the ski felt initially but it seemed "off". The ski seems pretty sensitive to fin settings. There are several lengthy threads on this forum regarding fin settings for that era vapor that I read multiple times...long/shallow, short/deep. Even though I prefer to set it and forget it, I spent the better part of a summer trying different settings.I experienced everything from ski not turning, to tail blowing out, to having the ski "hunting" when I rode it on a straight path. So frustrating. I finally happened upon a setting that works for me and I have been happy with it ever since. I started on that ski trying to consistently run -15, 34. Last weekend I got a practice PB. Slowed down to 33 and got around 5 ball at -32.

Be patient with the process.

• Supporting Member

Did you also change bindings? If so, don't :). Changing bindings is harder than changing skis and changing both at once is ... not recommended.

If not, get a touch of rhythm on open water and then get after it. If it doesn't show some promise within a couple of sets, and the settings are near to factory, then it's probably not the ski for you.

• Baller

I make sure the fin settings and binding positions are close to stock then I go ski. Nothing fancy for me. I may ski a set of my first and second passes unless it feels really good right away then I go down the line.

The Vapor is going to be more nervous than the Senate. I am not sure what size Senate C you were on but if it was a 67 and you moved to a 66 it is going to be substantially smaller.

• Baller
I just make sure to only get new skis over the winter. After 6 months, who notices a difference. I'd swear that my new vapor skis exactly like my old senate. I'm not going to hop back on the old ski and prove myself wrong though ;)

• Baller
Take son to Radar Nation tour on Friday. Have Brooks set up a 66 Vapor Probuild and slap his bindings on it. Go out with JMac. Fall in love with ski. Ski it a second set. Still in love. Son sends Dad back to buy it on Monday!

• Baller

Over the last three months I tested three 2018 Skis, NRG, EVO, and Vapor Pro. In all cases I start with factory settings for both Fin and Bindings. Rule is to always start with Bindings first. 1st set at factory, 2nd set one hole forward, and third set one hole back. As an example, the NRG ended up a hole forward, the EVO a hole back, and the Vapor at Factory.

Once I am satisfied with binding placement then it's time to play with the fin. 1st set at Factory, 2nd set short/deep, third set long/shallow. I am looking for a trend to start tuning from, and fine adjust from there.

Last thing is to play with is wing settings, starting from factory, then moving one degree at a time. The NRG and Vapor liked the factory settings, but the EVO went from 7 degrees factory to 9 degrees, which made a HUGE difference in how it turned.

This method for tuning new skis has turned out really well for many years.

• Baller
Set it up to stock settings, then ski it. Boots move next, then ski it. Take depth out, then ski it. Move fin forward, then ski it. Add or remove tip, then ski it. Chart all your moves and add comments. Might take a week or two but the reward is well worth it. Add more or less wing angle as needed for a tight line to the ball last. If you do nothing you are adapting yourself to the ski. Up want to set up the ski to be the best for you. Try to tune it so your offside is a little better than your on. Good luck, have fun.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

Nah, was about 8 feet outside of 1 ball, then came into 2 pretty hot and blew out the tail. Somehow the handle went underneath the ski. That Lithium Senate feels fantastic but was, very much, not what I’m used to riding. Very, very much. That and the fin was crazy short. I always like to ride them, at least once the way they come. I’ve learned an expensive lesson there. “What could go wrong, it’s only .060 off?” Short and shallow is not a good combo.

That ski, even with crap settings felt awesome though. I look forward to a lot more time on it

• Baller

r1mji4m1ywy0.png

We went on a couple more dates. She is really coming around. Where my last girlfriend, the Senate C, would forgive me for putting too much pressure on the backfoot on my offside, the Vapor Pro has laid down the law and said if I am going to treat her like that, she won't turn.

I also told her she is pretty, got her an uncomfortable but stylish boot, and took a vanity shot of her...so I think that helps.

• Baller

@"Keith Menard" nice rig just one observation may or may not be something, that rear rtp looks like it has a pretty high base if you were to try something like a HO rtp that has a lower foot bed, it may help you to not put so much pressure on the rear foot, helping you to feel the front foot pressure a little more.

Just my thoughts.