How would you extend a boat ramp?

ScarletArrow

• Baller

Our lake is a man-made. The boat ramp is a little short and uneven. During August and September, the dry season in Ohio, the water level gets low and you have to put your trailer in so deep that it drops off the concrete at the end of the ramp.

How would you go about extending the ramp? What kind of engineering would be involved to get an additional 5 - 10 feet at the end of the ramp that's under water?

• Baller
I saw an extension project in FL a few years back. They poured a formed concrete slab on their existing ramp and after a few of cure time they pushed it out with a front loader. You could always lower the lake level at the end of your season and pour more concrete conventionally.

Does the area naturally get deeper after the end of the concrete? If so just carefully put in some pre-made concrete slabs. You will need a big crane and the ability to make or buy suitable slabs to add on. Then the only problem is the potential for one surface being a difference height than the other where they meet together. I assume you don't want to lower the lake and replace the entire landing surface?

• Baller
You're making this too complicated. Concrete sets up fine under water. My dad was a custom home builder and built mostly homes around lakes in texas. We'd form up bulkheads and ramps in the water, order a more dry mix, and pour it. For the ramps, we'd then bullfloat the surface under the water. The section poured under the water won't be as pretty or consistent as above. But the concrete will displace the water and set up just fine.