Ski binding adjustment

Canuck44

• Baller

So I am going to try adjusting my binding location and play with the fin a bit but I don’t really know what I’m doing, I’ve spent some time reading online but what do I know? I have a 2017 senate alloy and it doesn’t seem to turn as well as my old 2015 concept, my skiing hasn’t improved at all with this ski and I miss the concept so I am hoping some adjustments from the stock middle setting might help. I am a beginner skier I get through the course easy at 28 and 30 15 off sometimes 22 off at 30 but can only get 4 or 5 at best at 32 so close but not improving.

Anyway I’m thinking of moving both bindings forward to turn better and maybe removing the wing. Try each at a time and record the old settings of course. My understanding is that this should make it turn easier is that generally right?

• Baller

@Canuck44

The more the tail of the ski drifts sideways relative to the tip while turning, the tighter the turn will be. Moving the bindings forward will increase the area of the ski behind your bindings and restrict how much the tail slides. To get tighter turns, move your bindings back, and keep them as close together as possible.

• Baller

That makes sense to me but I was reading last night and it said to move it forward to turn tighter. I tried it out tonight but didn’t get a good run through the course lots of surf boats and tubers our tonight.

Is there a good guide or post to general ski setup and what does what as far as binding position and fun and wing setup?

• Baller
@SkiJay is THE MAN for this stuff. I'd take his advise as gospel. Another good resource if you like to read is the Schnitz guide. It's older and I'm not sure how new ski designs have impacted how relevant the information is but it is another resource.

• Administrators

@Canski

the very short version https://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/tech/53-2004-lever-article

If I ever got around to rewriting this article I would change a few things but I still think the Core Concepts are a good starting place

• Baller

@Canuck44

Deffinately listen to @SkiJay and consider getting his book, reading that really helped me understand a lot more than just fin setup. But if you do move your bindings back be sure you can get enough pressure on the front of your ski to get good tip access in the turn.

Also I would suggest verifying that the skis fin is set to the factory recommended specs before messing around too much. I bout a ski 2 years ago from a local shop and it was nowhere near set properly.