Radar Vapor Binding Trouble

Texas6

• Baller

I saw a thread n this subject a few weeks back but wanted to reignite it because I can’t find the thread with the recommended fix. I’ve had every version of these bindings, going back to the original RS-1 (and every ski). I am clearly a fan and an advocate of both their products, their support, and the people behind the brand. Having said that, I’ve broken every pair of these I’ve owned, all in the same spot. In fact, my 15 year old son broke his yesterday, and mine blew out today. That gets expensive. I’ve tri d letting them dry, but must be doing something wrong. Advice?mik1bmh2504x.jpeg

syvekzl15nxx.jpeg

• Baller

Both my '16s did that too, though not as catastrophically as in your pic! Warranty took care of me on the front one but back one was out of warranty by the time it got bad. So far, so good on the Carbitex version they replaced my front with.

Should we be treating these things with some sort of rubber conditioner or something? I've been pulling my liners out to dry lately in the hopes that prolongs the life, though stuffing the liners back in even with the laces loosened up seems like it's adding unnecessary stress cycles to the rubber also...

Love the boots otherwise though. I have shoes that aren't that comfortable.

Same problems on the vectors. Have blown out three front boots and two rear boots from from various years. Ripped out right at the seam like yours. Got one pair replaced under warranty. I like their products and have been wanting to go to the profile or vapor but I keep holding off hoping that one of these years the new boots will no longer have the rubber on the back of boot.

I have yet to ski these bindings, but i modified a pair that was out of warranty.

guntdg1rv3ai.jpg

• Baller

Same here, I've ripped 2 rear boots in the same spot. Fortunately, I found a 2016 B stock rear boot at waterskis.com for half off, just a vibrant color. I'm hanging onto the broken boot in hopes I can somehow stitch a fix and keep a backup.

27hcdepskol2.jpg

• Baller
Only speaking from personal experience, I have enjoyed the orange Vapor and the 2017 Vapor [with the green name on it]. I have had no problems at all with either. I also use the HRT. I was lucky enough to only have a couple of OTF crashes on the orange and none on the 2018. When I crashed the liner came out. I do not tighten the upper lace much and always loosen the upper lace [removing it from the top clips] and the BOA in the water before I remove the ski. When I do so my foot comes out of the binding without pulling the liner out.

• Baller
My 2014 Vectors have held up fine so far, I bring in my ski, vest, gloves and rope in side after they have quite dripping. They take days to dry if at all in FL humidity. If I put my ski in my ski case I never Zip it closed, over the boots. Several people in the past say they leave them in boat or in the garage. I know that my garage is very hot and humid all the time in the summer not a good place. Bringing in my mountain bike from the garage has stopped the dry rotting of the tires.

• Baller
I had a pair of vectors a that did the same. Sold them on my old ski and the purchaser took them to a local show repair person and they put new rubber on the back. He sent me a picture and it looked great but I can't speak for performance.

• Baller

@texas6 You are a lot more patient with binding failures than I am. My 1 year old vMax Crop Top rear binding just started separating from the base around the heal. Loved that binding and how easy it was to lift my back heal going into the ball.

So, I'm back on my Wiley's rear boot again. Foot hurts after a few passes and I can't easily lift my heal but I'm not taking a chance on the fabric bindings again until someone develops one that lasts as long as a rubber binding.

I’ve had 3 different sets of Vapor boots. The 1st 2 sets lasted a little over a year. The 3rd set has lasted 2+ years. The only thing I’m doing different, is I take out the liners after every set. When I put them back in, I do it by hand, not with my foot in the liner.

• Baller
@Jody_Seal, how do you get the eyelets in the sides? I've had 2 pair of Radars blow out the same way. On my 4th set and if they blow I'm going to Reflex. Love the Radars but can't keep buying binders and only getting a couple seasons on them. I am now taking my liners out and letting them and the boots dry thoroughly, then putting the liners back in by hand as gentle as possible.

• Baller
Thanks for all the great ideas! Much appreciated. @ski6jones I’ve got a grommet machine, grommets, and rubber tubing if you want to venture down the Frankenboots path - I understand completely if I don't see you on that one:) just swing by anytime

• Baller
You guys that are having this problem. Are you putting liners on foot and then stepping in? I'm in second season with mine and it still looks brand new. I do put liner in shell first, and then step in. liners come out to dry every time.

• Baller
@Dano, yes my liners are in the boots and I step in them. I ease into them as easy as I can. No yanking and tugging. When done skiing the liners come out and I wipe dry the boots as much as possible to help with drying (insides). Keeping my fingers crossed

• Baller

@Texas6 Maybe heat adds to the problem? But, not sure. My ski with my 2013 Strada boots stays in the bed of my pickup truck (with a tonneu) when not skiing.

Never any issue with the rubber parts on these shells.

Maybe I'll be kinder to my new Vapors just the same.

And, I always insert liners, then feet.

• Baller

@WoodySkier Similar thing happened with mine earlier this year. The inner part that holds the screw was cracked so the screw wouldn't hold. I added a small drop of non-expanding gorilla glue and put the screw back in. Once the glue dried, the BOA System was working again. The other option was to take the binding to a local shoe repair shop and have them sew a new BOA System into the binding, which I may do in the off-season.

FYI - You can contact BOA directly and they will send you any parts for free.

• Baller_

@fu_man

So far so good, seems the grommet fix for me has been successful. I use general black tubing like what we use on the slalom course. I am going to experiment with long stripped innertube material.

Disclaimer: I am mounted on a mob release plate on my slalom. So I have not had the discomfort of finding out if it still works like designed originally. I have used one of the repaired vapor/carbonex boots on a trick ski. Took a good face plant and squirtted out of the boot and liner..

• Baller
2 to 3 years is all they last here in Florida. I never take my liners out. They are air dried in front of a fan. I have had a few replaced under warranty. I probably have 3 pair of liners that are brand new because I use my old liners. No matter what you buy it won’t last forever.