New Nautique does not have a tower option?

escmanaze

• Baller
I haven't seen one. Does anybody know if that is officially the case? It seems to make sense - if you don't offer an open bow, then you've already lost all appeal to the public water family guy anyway. It seems to be obvious that the public water family guy is not the guy they had in mind when designing this boat. I just wanted to see if anybody has heard or knows anything official or certain 100%.

• Baller

It's really too bad because with the ballast in it, this boat would have the beginnings to make a really good crossover boat for guys like me who like to ride sideways every now and then.

Isn't there some rule stating that you can't use ballast for trick or something like that? Assuming I'm correct in understanding that, I've always felt like that rule has really been an impediment to manufacturers making really good ski-first crossover boats. Hopefully, Nautique doing this will be a great first step toward getting rid of any rule like that which may exist.

• Baller

3. If equipped, the ballast system starting level may be chosen by the skier (0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%). The skier may select +/- 50% for his second pass based on his first pass selection. The LOC along with the CJ may set a maximum upper ballast level. If so, the skier may not exceed that limit when selecting a second pass change.

This maximum can be 0 if the LOC feels it may damage shorelines, etc. So the doesn't explicitly deny use of ballast.

• Administrators

@escmanaze

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

• Baller
There has been several comments about crossover boats like the GS20 and their slalom capabilities. For a slalom 1st skier they just really arean't great options. Someone's comments recently regarding the balast on the new Nautique suggested that 100% was a little more than needed for trick, but might be pretty good for wakeboard. For a slalom 1st skier, that also likes to get the family out for a day on the lake, seems like this would be the best option out there if you could put a tower on.

• Baller
Triple Panda Award Recipient. It's been a long time coming. I've worked so hard for this. First, I'd like to thank the academy, and all who helped me get to this point, my parents, my family, my friends there is so much support I've received over the years to help me arrive to the point where I can officially say "I've received a triple panda!!!"

• Baller
Ha ha @escmanaze Lucky you. Once again tower haters and people like you and I need them. Just buy a MC or Malibu and you will be good. They can call them monkey bars, roll cages etc..... or @twhisper can just do pull ups on it when he gets in to drive you like mine.

• Baller

@skierjp No, the GS20 is definitely not what I'm after. It's over 1500 pounds heavier and is a v-drive. It is definitely not what I would refer to as a "ski-first" crossover. What I mean when I say ski-first crossover is that right off the bat, at the heart of it, we start with the best ski boat/hull the manufacturer can currently build. THEN, after we have started with that as a basis, then we throw some accessories and stuff at it that make it at least a little bit better for riding sideways understanding the significant limitations involved when starting with a ski boat platform.

The first ever really good example, in my opinion of a ski-first crossover was the air 196 from 2002. It was on the TSC1 hull, but they made it open bow version and put a tower on it. Next came the X7 from Mastercraft. Open bow - walk through even - with a tower, and they even put some ballast in it. If only the 197 hull had been a little softer, smaller wake for us long line slow speed guys, that one really would have been a home run. The Malibu TXi then came with the walk through open bow, tower option, and instead of ballast they did the wedge - another great offering - probably the best "ski-first crossover" ever in my opinion. The 200 had options for open bow and a tower, but no ballast, kind of like the current prostar, and now the new SN has ballast, but no tower or open bow.

I understand that guys like me looking for a ski-first crossover probably make up a very small market, so I totally understand when the manufacturer doesn't give us the nod - I'm just looking to make 100% certain that this is the case with this new boat.

• Baller

Id once again suggest that people actually

1) ski a crossover - they are all v drives, an sslxi is not a crossover

2) if you cant ski behind one, evaluate why you are unable to do so and fix it.

Let the dislikes begin

• Baller
@oldjeep at one point last year I was surfing with a buddy he has a MC crossover boat, offered to pull me a slalom set, looked back at the wake and declined. Not sure how a GS would ski, but it can’t be good I don’t care what Nautique/ Malibu/ MC say

• Baller
@bigskieridaho FWIW, I'm guessing that the panda award was probably primarily directed at the rule change paragraph about ballast more than the rest of it. Just a guess though, and regardless, yes, there is plenty of hate to go around for ski boat towers, and I kind of understand the perspective on that too even though I certainly don't share the sentiment. If I only skied a private lake and I only skied, or even something kinda close to that scenario, I would think "skiers" who wanted towers and open bows to be crazy lunatics as well.

• Baller
@LoopSki you might be correct. If and when I finally get the money saved up to move to a newer boat, it will be a tough choice between the txi with wedge and tower and the prostar. The prostar still have open bow option and a tower, and at my long lines and slow speeds has a friendlier wake as well. The TXi will crossover better and be less expensive. I will just have to look at it and see where my family is when I get to that point. The 200 will be in play as well as it can also get open bow and tower, but so far, I haven't skied very well behind the one 200 I've had the chance to ski. Hopefully I'll get to ski a few more before the time arrives to see if maybe they just had their hydrogate adjusted poorly or something.

• Administrators

@escmanaze

You are awarded the triple Panda because the new Nautique is so overly three event-oriented. It's like asking for monster truck tires on a Ferrari.

Now I am sure just to prove me wrong somebody at Nautique will develop a tower.

• Baller
Ha Ha Ha!!!! Well just promise me one thing. When they do release a tower for it, please promise me you won't rescind my award. It's hard to put into words just how prestigious I feel with those 6 stars next to my name. This must be what it feels like to belong to a country club. :smile: :smile: :wink: :blush:

Hold on, it's just a tower. I get you guys don't like how they look, but he's just saying he wants the option, not that every new Nautique should come with one.

Plus, towers are good for:

-teaching people to get up

-keeping kids involved, doing something behind boat

-storing gear

-climbing on, jumping off

-having slightly higher bimini without it looking stupid

All things that help grow the sport which increases the demand and hopefully reduces price of 3 event boats.

• Baller
If Nautique doesn't have a tower for this boat, I'm sure a 3rd part vendor could get one made. That being said, I really dislike towers on a ski boat. IMHO, a better option would be an extended pylon which could be disassembled quickly when not in use.

• Baller
I think the built in ballast of that capacity is what really makes it attractive to possibly expand its use. @dave2ball may have a point in its abuility structurally to handle a tower. I do agree with @Moffattra though regarding the benefit of a serious ski boat being able to adapt to the whole family and growing the sport.....putting a ballast together with a great ski wake and a tower option would be very attractive to us that spend the day on a public lake with family and friends.

@Broussard OK, that's true, my thoughts also include the assumption that they will make an OB eventually. Funny how much I like towers on OB slalom boats, but absolutely can't stand how they look on CBs. Especially when they look like this...

8kqut0isurip.jpg

• Baller

Ha! that's my old boat, suffice to say it didn't have the tower on when I had it.

And yes, the current owner has been subjected to around 14 years of abuse for putting it on backward AND preventing slalom at all

It was one of the last to be made in the UK