Water conditions Hot/Cold Deep/Shallow

Ryota

• Baller

Hey Ballers

Let me clear this.

It has been extremely hot this summer in Japan. and temperature of water in the Dam where I ski is around 30C/86F.

I feel the water slow and the ski bites deep at the turn.( water feels so soft)

My ski friends( college skiers) are having Japan Collegiate Nationals in 3 weeks.

The site for collegiate Nationals is so sallow/ hot water.

Please tell me how that site's condition may feel for slalom

This site had 2017 FISU World waterski Collegiate championships

Thank You !!!

• Baller

Cold, shallow or salty will feel fast. In tricks, I drop the speed .2 or .3 to make it feel similar to warmer deeper fresh conditions.

You don't have that option in slalom. In the cold, shallow salt water, your pull will be more efficient, you will glide better and you can push harder without sinking the ski. You'd better be ready for the pull, maintain angle, preturn longer and have better form as the cold shallow salt water is less forgiving.

Warm offsets shallow or salty. How warm? How deep? It can get overwhelming if you worry about it.

Really, it's a subtle difference. As @Than_Bogan noted, a couple practice rides should let you adapt. It won't affect most most skiers at all. Headwind or tailwind is a bigger difference. Don't stress over it.

Eric

• Administrators
@Ryota College Nationals are in Houston I believe. My guess is the water temps will be very similar to what you have in Japan right now. I would not worry about adjusting the skis.

• Baller

@Horton Wouldn't Japanese Nationals be somewhere in Japan? Unless they annexed Houston - maybe I should watch the news...

There are lots of foreign students in the USA so @Horton might be right.

His point is valid regardless. The feel of the water varies. A little. And we just have to deal with it.

Jetlag to Houston from Japan will be a much bigger issue. Or sushi from the Gulf.

Eric