Do ski vests shrink? Wise comments sure to ensue.

Tdub

So, I took one to the ribs the other day. Nasty crash into the wake. I have been using a non-coast guard approved light slalom vest for years. I love it but it ended up curled on my shoulders. You get the picture. So today I got out an old HO large HO vest with two buckles and a zipper. NOT EVEN CLOSE to fitting. No comments please @AJskier. Plus I figured more flotation would help with my deep waters since I am an older skier. Anyway, my wife snickered and suggested it may have shrunk. It is pretty old (like me) and I am thinking maybe it did. Really. I checked my chest measurement and still about the same. I am thinking of ordering a new CG approved vest but worried about size. Do they shrink? Be nice Ballers.

Cheers.

Tom

• Baller
Like you, my friend, the massive size of my pecs, delts, and quads makes it difficult for me to sqeeze my massive frame into waterski apparel designed for, shall we say, the less 'manly' among us. One must be constantly vigilant, since the inability of these garments to withstand an inadvertent upper body flex can result in airborne debris. While I normally flex only in front of the cameras, I cannot guarantee against an inadvertent (and, may I humbly add, awesome) flexation. For this reason, I require all females to wear protective glasses in and around the boat at all times. Yes, I share your pain!

Your ribs are still bruised...ice your ribs for 30 minutes then try on again >:)

...yes neoprene does shrink over not being used (wetsuits, vests, booties). Also over time (UV and heat dependent) the neoprene breaks down, and doesn't stretch as much as new.

• Baller
My dad had his old Large Oneill outlaw vest from the 90s up in the attic for 10-20 years and I said sure I will take it for a spare as I only have a medium in case I needed to teach someone to ski. I tried it on the other day and it was about the size of an XS. Shrinkage is real. The attic probably gets well above 110* in the summertime.

• Baller
I have a really old Outlaw vest, I think it is a XXL, and my daughter wears it. She is 5'5" and about 130lbs. I can't even get my shoulders in it. And no, she doesn't look like Pamela Anderson....

• Baller

I had the same problem first of the year with my eagle.

I could get it zipped but breathing was optional.

I got a new 2x Radar at performance and it fits great.

I told my wife I guess I need to lose weight.

She said I love you fat due to you are warm in the winter to snuggle up to and shady in the summer.

oldmanskier

• Supporting Member

Hm, I've seen the shrinkage in some cases, but most of my experience is the opposite: vests, wetsuits, and neoprene bindings tend to get looser over time.

I think I'm going to order my next Camaro tops in M. They'll be tight as hell at first, but hopefully will continue to be effective for more seasons.

And my Eagle vest has lasted MANY years, which apparently is unusual, but it's getting a bit loose.

Disclaimer: In the last two years or so, I've been forced to a Gluten-free, lactose-free diet. This has not changed my weight more than a pound or two, but I suppose it could have reshaped my body in some subtle way.