Trouble breathing after passes

jetpilotg4

• Baller

This past week after I’ve made my first couple passes and as I sit down in the water I’ve been having trouble catching my breath. Once I get out of the water everything seems fine. I’ve seen a couple doctors and they haven’t found anything abnormal going on. Could it be possible that I have a slight abdominal or oblique strain that we inhibits my ability to breathe deeply while I’m in the water, but not out of the water?

Thanks in advance

• Baller

I had the same thing a few years ago, scary when you feel like you can’t breathe.

Believe it or not, it was from a bed I was sleeping on, actually it was a futon, and it was somehow screwing up my back and diaphragm. As soon as I switched to a regular bed it went away and has never come back.

I honestly couldn’t give you a medical or physical explanation but I know it cured it by getting to a good bed.

Maybe this can help.

• Baller
There's a little extra pressure on your chest from the water that goes away when you get on the platform, but not enough to prevent breathing one would think. It gets worse for me when the water temperature cools. It doesn't make any sense (to me).

• Baller

is your suit jacket size 48 or larger *and* are you wearing an xl eagle vest made before masterline bought the company? cuz that would do it right there.

seriously though, it may be a combination of your body position and the water pressure around your chest and stomach. try floating on your back in the water so your chest and abdomen are aligned fairly straight and at or near the surface. under *any* conditions it's easier to catch a full breath when your diaphragm is not being constrained by being bent over.

• Baller
I experience that occasionally. Usually it's when my allergies are worse and my lungs feel like they are congested. Also the breathing thing during the run. Sometimes I really need to remind myself, and I work on inhale crossing wakes/preturn, exhale at end of turn. Too tight of vest, especially those Eagles!, can contribute as well. Hot muggy air seems to make things worse, too.

• Baller
I had this problem three years ago- came on suddenly and though it was bad enough to head to the doc, he found nothing, but wanted to keep monitoring me. Being really our of breath at the end of each pass was the only symptom. At some point, I was exercising on a machine with a heart monitor and found my heart rate never rose much above my normal resting rate. That got his attention, so he ordered an EKG and a day later I had a pacemaker. Before I was released, my wife asked the hospitalist what would have happened if I hadn't gotten in. His response was " Um, er, uh, that would have been incompatible with Uh, um, er, uh, ... life". So, while you're probably fine, don't take chances- you're concerned enough about this that you're posting at 2:32 AM, right?

• Baller

You guys have been awesome with your input, the good news after all my doctors visits is that I am healthy, and it seems to be getting better all be it very slowly. The consensus of the doctors I have visited is that is a low grade oblique strain. Have absolutely no clue how that happened. I am still skiing very well, I am just taking longer breaks between passes, for now.

Thanks

• Baller
From another thread- try chewing gum. I thought that was nuts and mentioned it to my brother who said he always chews gum while skiing. I had never noticed it before- huh. He did say he kind of choked on it while tricking once, but claims is helps him breathe naturally during his passes.

• Baller

If this is a change, get it checked out.

I was anemic and had really low thyroid function found in my bloodwork. Eventually led to the diagnosis of Lymphoma. Not trying to scare you at all, but you do need to pay attention to things that are out of the ordinary. I ignored my issues just chalking it up to "getting older" for way too long.

• Baller
Well 2 weeks into it, 4 doctors and I now know what it is, Pneumonia, very early stage. Chest xray week before last was too early to pick it up. I had a cat scan today, and now for meds and rest. Dr came in with results of the Scan and said good news, Pneumonia is a lot better than everything it might have been for sure. Thanks folks happy skiing

• Baller
One other thing to consider is it might be some claustrophobia. It's odd, and I don't necessarily understand it completely, but it happens to my dad from time to time. If he's wearing something tight like a heater top or a wetsuit, sometimes at the end of passes he'll struggle like hell to breathe and have a bit of a very mild panic set in. Loose vest and it never happens. Happens to him snowmobiling out in the mountains too with a padded vest and helmet on. He's a doctor and the fittest 65 year old you've ever seen. His V02 max is in the 99th percentile for his age. Just one of those weird things.