Changing to new bindings

GAJ0004

• Baller

I bought a new ski last fall a Connelly GT. I have been using D3 Leverage Blackout Bindings which I replaced the original D3 Leverage bindings. I never had a problem with the originals. They seem to work fine when they were new, but I found they have softened up. I was skiing one morning and I got extended too far forward and I sprained my right ankle(back foot). I think I stretched some tendons in my right foot also. Maybe Plantar fasciitis The bindings hold my feet in place, but it feels like there is no support in the upper ankle and I keep re-injuring it. I am thinking I may have to switch to a newer style binding. Has anyone tried the Connelly Tempest bindings? It grabbed my attention because it looks like I can adjust the tightness around my foot and ankle independently. If anyone has tried them let me know what you think....

• Baller_

I haven’t tried the Tempest, but I have had my foot in a Sync. If you are looking for more fore and aft stiffness, I don’t think the Tempest is what you are looking for. The Sync, and therefore I assume the Tempest, is a soft flexing boot. There is nothing wrong with a soft flex, but if you are looking for something stiff, I don’t think the Temast is it.

Plus, don’t kid yourself. You can’t make the upper cuff “stiffer” by tightening the laces. All bindings of this design rely the elasticity of the lace to allow your foot to come out in a fall. If you over-tighten, you have eliminated the binding’s ability to release.

I’m a big Connelly fan and like their products. I just don’t think the Tempest will do what you are hoping it will do. The Stoker might be your better choice.

Lpskier

• Baller
I've tried a few different bindings in the last few years any my favorite so far is the Radar Vapor. Quite a bit stiffer than any previous boot I've tried (I've never used hardshells), but very comfortable and I have confidence in my ability to release from the binding in a forward fall. You don't have to tighten the upper lace much to feel really good lateral support with the Vapor.

• Baller
I switched from Animals/Venomns to Radar Vector LTD's this year and it was a super easy transition, I feel like I have more support and better comfort. I still have to force myself not to over tighten the boots with the boa/laces. The 'feather frames' keep your foot close to the ski for great edge control and reduced the ski's total weight significantly.