Radar Vice

Ski_Dad

• Baller

I found some new old stock Vice skis (non C version) anynow would this be too unstable for my boys? they are 15 and 17 and range from 130-140 lbs - looking at a 66" Vice. I've haven't found a cheap senate yet and wonder if this would fit the bill or be too aggressive ?

they are free skiing at 28 mph on a 68" 1980 Obrien Exhibition II (LOL - don't laugh it was grandpas ski)

• Baller

I have a Vice (carbon model) and have only been free skiing at 28-32mph for a few short summers and don't find it hard to ski on at all. It's a higher-end ski, so might be a little harder to get up on than a wider ski.

On a side note, I had to use a ski from about 1990 last year while visiting a friend's cabin and it was like I forgot how to slalom. Went back to my Vice and was so much better and easier to turn! I'm just under 145lbs and have a 67". I'd like to try a 66" but don't feel like buying another ski until I can run the course.

• Baller

I had a 68" Vice-C until last year. I think my ski was a model 2013. It was a terrific ski except for one thing. I didn't find it to be "fast" at all. I had a really hard time generating cross-course speed on the ski so I was always showing up to the balls late. However, that was where it really shined. I could show up to a ball late and that thing would turn really really well.

So for a freeskier who doesn't really care about cross course speed and just wants something that will turn really aggressively with them, it seems like it would be a terrific ski. For that size and weight combination, they will probably need a little more speed than 28 mph though.

Also, I've often thought that maybe I didn't find it fast because it was designed to be a 36 mph ski and I never took it over 32 mph. I have a suspicion that it may have felt a lot different as I hit 34 mph and especially 36 mph. I should have tried...didn't.