Scoring

radarboy32

• Administrators

The difference is simply terminology. Countries that have put a man on the moon use feet and inches. Countries who have not put a man on the moon use meters.

Here is my cheat sheet

fyxry01hav4e.png

Column A is what we use in America and Column C is what the rest of the world uses. All of the additional columns are kind of extra information.

• Administrators

@radarboy32 I think that is a record for least posts before a Panda. Congratulations.

@mjnelson you almost got a Panda for an very unhelpful post. Keep trying.

• Baller

@radarboy32 Considering your username is "radarboy" and in your profile it says that you ski on a T.R.A. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you are pretty young. 1 meter is approximately 3 feet. multiply the metric measurement by 3.28084 to get length in feet.

https://www.interexchange.org/articles/career-training-usa/2012/05/24/imperial-vs-metric-system/

• Baller

Real Americans calculate in metric (as required by US law - the USA is officially metric) and convert to archaic units for the uneducated masses.

I'd better figure out how many kph 18.5mph converts to - Chile is metric and actually uses it.

Eric

• Baller
One of my pet peeves is that the US is too stupid to go metric. We were taught in elementary school that we would be going metric soon. That was 45 years ago. We were taught all about metric, and all of the prefixes. But also taught all of the conversions from standard to metric. Way too much time was spent on conversions, which just confuses everyone. Cold turkey is the only way to go. If we would just do it, we would find its A LOT easier.

• Baller_
I'm still amazed with any major tournament held in front of a non skiing crowd that we have announcer broadcasting in line off. And then we wonder why the average Joe spectator loses interest. At least the rest of the world gets a chance to understand that the line is getting shorter hearing the rope length the skier is using vs what's coiled up on the floor of the boat. Just dumb of us here in the US. Not suprised at all @radarboy32 is confused.

• Baller

@radarboy32 - gets worse! speeds are metric too, skier doesn't actually ski 34/36 mph they ski 55/58 km/h - both of which are slightly off 34/36. I don't think the amount off was confusing to anyone. In ways I think its more dramatic

@ScottScott 45 years ago cold turkey would have been pretty dramatic lots of manual machining in industry. Want to manufacture metric thread pitches on standard equipment with standard threaded lead screws and enjoy making those parts.

But now we're largely converted to a point where you can literally use whatever you want and run it. Maybe a "post conversion" world.

• Baller
So for clarity in Canada we are mostly metric, however we still use lots of Imperial measurements. Most weights, volumes, speed, distances are in metric. But owning a Home improvement store carrying lumber we do not sell 50mm x 101mm x 4876mm boards...we sell 2x4-16's...all our construction material, blueprints are in imperial except the odd one from the Military where some engineer sitting a desk decides he wants to be a smarta$$ and send prints in metric which we kindly give back along with every other person bidding and ask for "regular measurements". In 25 years I have not sold a metric tape measure, Imperial tape measures sell at least 30-1 to ones that have both systems on it.... Maybe the US is scared of posting speeds showing 130kph on their interstates? (roughly 80mph for reference)

• Administrators
Outside of Florida, my guess is most of the US skiers who prefer metric are Sr. officials or MIT graduates. The rest of us grew up with the imperial terminology and like it because it is what we know.

• Baller_
@disland agree mostly but why confuse things even more when announcing is the direct contact between the spectators and the sport. ESPNs Hot Summer Nights understood that connection and always announced in feet on. And it's such a simple fix to help others better understand the sport. We'd laugh at any country that announced an Olympic track and field event using distance or hight measured in what the athlete did not do. He long jumped 15 feet less then end of the landing area. What?!?!