What is your wingspan differential?

Horton

• Administrators

Is your wingspan (distance from finger tip to finger tip) greater than your height?

Arm span or reach (sometimes referred to as wingspan, or spelled "armspan") is the physical measurement of the length from one end of an individual's arms (measured at the fingertips) to the other when raised parallel to the ground at shoulder height at a 90° angle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arm_span

@tfin and I were talking about this the other day and I thought it was interesting. I am +2 but my wife is 100% T-Rex : - |

• Administrators

@Anderson

"Wingspan is more than 3" more than my height" is the best I can do for you. I'm pretty sure if you are more plus three you are in elite company.

• Gold Member

Somehow this thread feels like it's setting up one of those silly hypotheticals that my middle-schooler and her friends absolutely love:

Who would win in a fight: Giant Orangutan or T-Rex!?

I'm closer to an oranguntan, I think, but can't recall ever taking a measurement. Maybe I will if I think of it tonight.

• Baller

6'7" H, 6'10." WS +3.5 Ape Index 1.052

@Horton, the average for adult males is +2. If you do this survey in the future, make that the middle point. (per Body Proportions section this study which cited resource: Grimberg A, Lifshitz F. Worrisome growth. In: Lifshitz F. Growth, Adrenal, Sexual, Thyroid, Calcium, and Fluid Balance Disorders. 5th ed. New York, NY: Informa Healthcare; 2007:1–50.)

Interestingly, NBA players average +4 to +4.8 inches.

• Baller_

@UWSkier said:

The ape index is the armspan divided by height. If you're above 0, you have a positive ape index.

You will always be above 0, unless one of those numbers is somehow negative.

It will likely be 1 that you are above or below. Perhaps, that is the indicator baseline.

@Than_Bogan, you're slipping.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.