What are you going to do different in 2019?

Horton

• Baller
Will rejoin the Train With Terry website at the beginning of the season. Last year I didn't join until August. And planning to enter 3 to 4 tourneys. Last year entered one, the first one since 2007. The East region's schedule looks really good this year.

• Baller
Handle control to get wider and reduce slack. Keep the elbows pinned to the vest on the edge change to stay connected. As per twhisper. Got just a few skis in end of the year and really concentrated on this. Very excitied about the dividends it will pay in 2019.

Slow it all down. Be patient.

Ski more with my coach.

Softer in the knees.

Get more centered/forward.

Keep a journal of every set.

Keep working on strength and mobility off the water.

Be a continual student of skiing.......................................................................

• Baller
I need to work on staying centered on the ski and not let the rope get pulled from my hips. I got into a bad habit of that last year. I also want to ski the course a lot more. I only made it onto a course 3 days last summer, that needs to change! I’d also like to get a ZO boat (probably won’t happen). Ever since I skied behind ZO at Eden Lake I’ve wanted one. Still hand driving an 86 MC but it pulls!

• Baller

Not trying 3 different new techniques every time I show up to the lake. Seems like everyone has a new approach and I feel distracted from what worked that last time I was out.

Then you have the guy in the boat that tells you something different to work on every time you drop -don't be that guy. I'm learning to just submerge my head so I can't hear him.

• Baller
Summer of 2017 I got some coaching, got plenty of water time (for me), and trained for and skied in a comp, and made some significant progress as a result of all that. Last year, I did not get as much water time, and other than some vid of some free skiing I sent in, did not get any coaching, and did not set a hard goal. I had some fun skiing, but did not make any real headway in terms of improving buoy count, even in practice. This year, although we are still melting out from a huge snow year, and the lakes will be full of wood for a while, I plan on getting more water time, trying my hardest to work a tournament into my schedule, and will get some coaching and train toward that tourney goal.

• Administrators
@Drago I have chronic issues because of lack of pelvic mobilty. As one physical therapist explained it - because of my lack of Mobility the little muscles in my hips that are designed for stability end up carrying load that should be carried by muscles design for strength. Stretching and Mobility are definitely part of my path forward.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton I think @Drago point is that stretching when your cold is not good. Do a 5-10min warm up run (or some other full body exercise) before you stretch. I do the warm-up and stretch before I ski and usually stretch after skiing (or working out) too.

• Baller

@Zman, the videos don't do him justice. It's even more impressive in person. Having a front row seat to his evolution as a skier, ski designer and ski philosopher has been eye opening for me. He showed up with a different mindset than anyone I've ever skied with.

There's a lot of super secret stuff behind the curtain that I can't tell you about, but if you book time with him, it's worth the price of admission. The C-75 Rocks!

• Baller
Realizing that I was sort of off-topic, I tried to give myself and "off topic" but the forum won't let me react to my own post. So I will add, I'm trying to do what Adam tells me to do and trying to interpret what I see in his skiing correctly even though he skis with the wrong foot forward:)

• Baller
@9400 So, to be on topic, what would you recommend skiers do different in order to progress their skiing in the direction of what @adamhcaldwell does, while not skiing on a Denali?

• Baller
Just my often flawed interpretation, and observations but the GUT articles give a decent outline of the approach. My personal approach is to try to remove inefficient movements (of which there are quite bit of in my skiing) and to try to ski the correct path with the most efficient alignment. I try to base my alignment on a lot of what I see in his skiing. An observation that I had a year or 2 ago was that Jeff Rodgers was one of the most aligned skiers I had ever witnessed and I think Adam is more aligned than Jeff.

Well, being that i just got off the phone with my coach I am going with what he told me. Listen to your coach! Not go out so hard and end up injured for the 1st month of my season. Bring back the Keep Wish from running 39 off beer thread so i can actually have meaning input on this site :)

• Baller

Ski Tall

Trailing arm pressure, (gets my COM headed the right direction

Vision focused on 20' ahead of the buoy and ski there

Feet arcing in the pre turn, THEN press on my feet after hook up

Slow the boat at each new line length to keep the above and not go back to old stuff.

This is the season of enjoying the rhythm.....and talk a little trash. (Trash Talk Tuesday Tourneys) class F

• Administrators
@coach3 next ball. Just because I am looking at it doesn't mean I'm a ski straight at it. Putting my vision on a consistent object helps me keep my head up and shoulders more level. The old-school idea of looking across the lake makes about as much sense as skiing on a fiberglass ski behind a carbureted boat.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
yes! the 40/40 is where I'm speaking of from JLP. 40 feet or 2 boat lengths ahead made me a bit twisted or closed, but one boat length before the buoy is about a 45 deg path from the hook up, so looking at that target can keep head and shoulders aligned for a strong pull. Horton's point of a specific object is valid vs just nebulous smooth water.

• Baller

KC Wilson says he keeps his body and head open, but looks where I do just with his eyes, especially for the gate shot. Brie Carter, (mid 39 skier) looks right across to the shore old school style. She can pull.

• Baller

I've heard a little bit of variation among some top level skier, and coaches, but the majority seem to favor some sort of cross course focus (whether finding the next ball, or looking ahead of the next ball.) Seems to be a small number that focus on the back of the boat. I"ve heard different things about the timing of that focus also....and that can vary between onside vs offside.

I"ll 2nd @lpskier skier.... Thanks for the great driving @coach3 You and Brie seemed to be as happy as I was about me setting a new PB, much appreciated. Look forward to seeing you behind the wheel at a tournament again.

• Baller_
I think that when someone is coached to look at the back of the boat, the point isn’t to look at the boat, it’s to get the skier to do something else. For example, if your issue is dropping your head and shoulder behind the boat, looking at the boat as you approach the wakes may help you correct that problem. But that would be a glance, not a stare. Generally we coach to spot a point 40 feet before the buoy and ski to that spot. Maybe that goal is unachievable but it gets you focused on being up course, not skiing to the buoy.

Lpskier

• Baller

@ski6jones in the off season I will go heavier and harder in the gym. Full Rx cross fit 3-4x/wk. In the season I am going to stop all gym workouts over body weight and mostly at much less. I am going to do lighter accessory work that is aimed at balancing ski strength and build core fitness to reduce my chance of back injury.

This is an experiment and I look forward to seeing how I feel in August.

• Baller

I'm going to drive my new toy more, leveraging the expected improvement in mental state stimulation will transfer some much needed performance on the water.

s7bpaisn0wee.jpg

Let's see. 6am, Sat morning, take the Vette out for a spin, come back, enter the course..........and faceplant, like always.