Which one is the better choice?

pjnyk

Hey guys, so previous lines we had on boats didn’t work out so now we’re presented with a few new options. Again, wondering how these will be for slalom and if they’re going to be footable long line/short rope.

So the current options are as follows:

- 98’ PS205, 700hr, 310 motor

- 02’ Moomba outback 21’, 500hr, 310 assault carb (don’t remember if it has the wake plate)

- 03’ Mastercraft X7, wakeboard edition, 310 EFI , 245hr

- 06’ tige 20i, 350hr, 315hp merc EFI

Just looking for general opinions at this point. I have some knowledge on the PS205 already and I’m aware that it has the Xstar hull. Also been reading on the X7, I know it’s the same as the 197 but with a few options added on.

Any opinions are appreciated. Right now I have the Moomba or tige at #1/2.

Cheers

• Baller

97 PS205 would be awesome, I'd skip the 98 personally.

I'd probably go X7 based on the popularity of MC brand and its low hours.

The 20i Tige just never had much market saturation and I think people regardless of what they say are sometimes goofy about carb'd boats. You'll be able to sell it but you seemt o get people who want fuel injection.

With 197/x7 does anyone recall if there was an update in 2004?

• Baller
@MISkier That's what I'm wondering, was the hook on all hulls for 03? I thought they started adding hook to the TT edition boats for one year and then updated the hull for the rest of the years. For some reason I thought 2003 was the year that only TT hulls got hooked - which would change my answer because the hooked boats seem a lot better.

• Baller_

The hook is a small curvature or “lip” across the bottom of the hull at the stern. The purpose was to smooth out or flatten the wake by increasing the wetted surface of the hull. It is intended to improve skiability.

You can read about it here. Look for the entry dated 4-7-2009 at 12;21PM

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29236&page=2

Whatever you are considering, be sure to ski it at different speeds and different line lengths.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

If footing is important in addition to slalom...I'd dump all of the above choices. Go Malibu as in Response Lx or Lxi, or Sunsetter Lxi if you need more room...all with the Monsoon or Hammerhead.

Better footing wake for crossings, better speed...still very nice for slalom.

I drink Nautique Kool aid, my brother drinks MC and I love his Prostar and loved his 197...but friends had Bu's and when it was time to foot we used 'em.

• Baller

not sure how fast you ski, but if you are skiing at 30 mph I don't think you will love the X7 at 15 or 22.

My friend has the MCX version which tops out at 42. I would think with a lower hp version it would top out about 40 which could make it hard for footing.

@6balls was expecting to hear that from someone. Also have two near identical sunsetter lxi’s in my sights.

Boat A:

-wedge

-700hr

-5.7L engine (not sure which model this makes it)

-sub par interior

-more than one owner, coming from a dealer

Boat B:

-wedge

-1500hr

-guy said 350hp engine but I know that’s not a thing, I think he’s mistaking it for 350cubic inches so that would make it the 310hp

-mint interior

-one owner

Anyone else’s opinion on this would be great. Only reason I didn’t include these options in this thread was that I already listed 4 and was looking to get something newer than my previous boat. Switching from an I/O but I’ve always skied with a friends ‘94 205.

Thanks in advance

• Baller
I have an 03 Outback. Great boat. That being said I cannot really comment on the 02 as I know the boat was updated in 03. I did notice that the 02 was the only Outback that was not USAWS tournament approved but I have no idea why its not on the list. The carb'd Assault on mine has been plenty to pull long line footers.

• Baller
Where are you located, what is your budget? I may know of a Sunsetter Lxi coming up for sale in MN with the Monsoon and wedge, far fewer hours than the boats you mention. Owner is looking to go wake-surf boat. I could put you in touch if that would be a consideration.

@6balls located in Sudbury, ON. We’ve got a max budget of 24k CAD but obviously looking to spend as little as possible. Not sure about how the whole importing situation works but could be worth a shot.

• Baller
@pjnyk importing a boat is not hard, $300 RIV fee for trailer and need to do an inspection on trailer at Canadian Tire (included in $300 fee) once you have it home. Pay sales taxes at border based on sale price. The Border guys will research value of boat and if you got a crazy cheap deal may not accept your price if way below market. Other then that it is easy, boat is zero issues and trailer is bit more effort. The border guys use a fair exchange rate to determine taxes.