different ZO setting for Nautique ?

Horton

• Baller
I use B2 on all boats, CC 196, CC 200, Malibu, ProStar, Centurion all skied about the same for me, scores all within a buoy. Until the new Nautique! I feel like I am waiting on the boat at my shorter/shortest passes. Tried C2, may have had a slight improvement. Freddy Winter said he went down a letter and was at A2 at Lake 38 a few weeks ago. All my 11 rides behind the new boat have been in tournaments, I need to get some practice sets to see if we can determine how to work together.

• Baller

When I’m behind the new Nautique I go one full letter. I ski B3 behind the MC and my 200 with a 5.3.

I had to move a letter up behind the new boat because there seemed to be nothing on the back side of the ball at B3. I do know a lot of people go A2 with this 6.2L.

• Administrators
I skied behind one a week ago with B2 and it felt fine except for the curb at 28 off. Last weekend I went to a tournament and skied behind a different one and it felt like poop at B2 so I tried A2 and it was better-ish.

• Baller_

Well, I know I haven't figured out the new Nautique. I am embarrassed to admit that I have only run 2 passes out of 8 attempted passes (5 openers) and those 2 complete passes were nothing I would ever want to see on video.

It's like skiing behind a marshmallow that is rolling uphill into a headwind.

It has not only dethroned the 197 as my least favorite boat, it bum rushed it right out of the ring and dropped the mic.

Our club Nautique (Bryant) 200 6L is a far superior boat in nearly every way, especially wake, driving, pull, and appearance. The Prostar is also exceptional and has been very enjoyable.

I have no clue what settings to try next and I only see the new Nautique at tournaments. I might as well go off the dock at 41 off with the odds I'm carrying.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I skied a tournament yesterday behind one. I always use b1. Someone told me I should go down a letter,so when I practiced Friday evening I switched back and forth several times between a1 and b1. I decided to go b1 for the first round and with some significant cross wind I was just inside of 4@38. That boat felt strong coming out of the turn but by the second round it didn't seem that bad. But.... I definitely wouldn't say it's my favorite boat.

• Administrators

I tooks some sets behind a 6.2L New Nautique yesterday.

For those of you still struggling with the new Nautique with a 6.2L, I now think I understand the issue. Compared other boats and especially any boat with a 5.7, the 6.2 & ZO just corrects for skier pull much much faster. With other boats the power comes on more gradually.

There is a theory going around that the 6.2 can deliver a double bump of gas. What happens is you hook up and the boat instantly responds enough that the ZO drops the revs back to baseline before you are that the wakes, then you pull it down again before edge change so the ZO engages a second time. If this explanation turns out to not be exactly technically correct it is what it feels like.

A number of Pros use A2. The thinking is to delay the throttle a little so there is only one stab of gas. This works for a lot of skiers. It has worked for me but it is still not preferred. This setting can make me feel like the line is too soft before and after apex ... and then I get hammered at the first white water.

I tried a number of settings yesterday and ended up on C1. I can only speculate that “C” early gas means that I do not pull the boat down as far – it has less ground to recover. With “1” the gas ramps up slower so maybe that smooths out the spikes in the revs?

The most important thing in going from a 5.7 or 6.0 boat to this 6.2 is to not lean on the rope too much or too early. If you anger the ZO with 450 HP it will thrash you.

One more thing. As everyone knows I am a MasterCraft guy. I am not trying to beat up on Nautique here. If I had one of these boats on my lift I am sure I would adjust to it and ski as well as I would behind any boat. After a ride of back-to-back 35s on a number of different settings I went back out and I ran two 38s on C1 and missed one on A2. The issue for me is that the 450 hp 6.2 simply delivers power very differently than any other boat I ski behind.

• Administrators

@JackQ My mistake. What I am talking about is specifically the PCM 6.2L w/ the Nautique software interface between ZO and the ECM.

I have not skied behind the ProStar with the 6.2 Ilmor but also have not heard any negative comments. As far as I know it is a rare boat outside of jump circles.

I do not know why anyone who is not at altitude or a pro jumper would ever want more than 400HP in a ski boat. If we were all forced to use 300 hp boats we ski the same scores and have money left over.

• Baller

Horton, agree with all. Others believe the communication/integration of PCM 6.2 and ZO is suspect. The only definitive test, would be put engine/ECM in a 200 or other boat and see if the pull felt “Normal.” I ski 90% of the time with 2009 Ski Nautique 343hp, and ski no better or worse behind any other boat (other than new Nautique).

I have also skied on a repowered 196 with new PCM 6.0 409hp and felt fine, though seemed smoother than 5.7 when driving. Made me think about buying a 6.0 as a spare, but would be a very expensive insurance against obsolescence.

• Administrators
@JackQ I have not ski behind the New Nautique with a 6.0 but I've heard it does not display any of the unique attributes of the 6.2.

• Baller
Isn't this really about just DI vs. traditional MPI? The 5.3 and 6.2 are DI motors. I think a lot of folks do not understand that. DI is a whole 'nuther ballgame. My 5.3 seems incredibly snappy and responsive compared to any MPI mill and the boat feels really strong with it, I go down a letter on my 5.3 DI.

• Administrators

@jhughes however you want to frame it I think it comes down to power delivery. As the engines have more and more power to deliver it is up to the software to make it all work right. Maybe it is prop or transmission or something else but the end result is how the power is applied.

I have skied the 5.3 and did not think it felt anything like the 6.2. Almost everyone likes the feel of the PMC 6.0. Is it DI? I am really unconvinced that the fuel injection tech is the issue. The ZO software control how fast the revs change and what percent from baseline they can increase.

• Administrators

I ski behind a fifteen-year-old repowered ZO 196 w/

fresh 5.7 tonight. I ran 3 @ 39 off the dock. More power is NOT better.

• Baller

I think there is a big difference in the way the boats feel. I am 195 lbs and overturn. I can feel a speed drop in the Malibu especially and the Mastercraft when I load at the finish of the turn. So much so with the Malibu that it is accelerating when I try to get free of the boat. I think this is from their 1:1 transmission. The Mastercraft feels nice when I complete the turn but I can get free of the boat and it feels great. I really like the Nautique firmness but I am an outlier as far as skiers go. I use B2 on the 6.2 and C2 on everything else.

I think how the driver steers the boat is a bigger deal to me than the settings. You get a driver late on the wheel driving into you at the buoy and all settings feel bad. I recommmend getting end course video in practice to help make sure the driver isn't the reason why you think your settings are the problem.