Drone usage in tournaments

jayski

• Baller_

It depends on the height and if they are going to track the skier. I had one flying alongside and slightly above me once and it was distracting. I could actually hear it over the boat engine and spray noise. I think I could also pick it up in my peripheral view as well.

I think the shots would be cool if you can keep it from being an interference.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
I see it says the distance from a competitor must be 50 meters. That might be good enough to avoid sound, but I’m not sure. Avoiding peripheral intrusion would require more height if the drone were to fly 50 meters to one side at like 20 feet.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

TC's will now be required to send in drone tracking video and certify that drones were farther than 50 meters.

Splash Drone software will be required and GPS tracking data will be sent to USAWS for review.

For Euro tournaments no such tracking of video is required because of Brexit regulations

@BoneHead because one crashing into a skier or a car or spectator creates a liability issue that is a reality. Also, the use of the images without the consent is another potential problem. I agree with @Drago that it seems appropriately proactive.

The USA-WSWS January 2019 Board meeting has some notes on the action starting on page 5. The goal appears to be to limit exposure to liability and provide some basic rules that tournament hosts/clubs can use to promote their safe use.

• Baller
I was serving as a safety at a recent Nationals when I got involved in a "discussion" with a drone operator. The operator was flying the drone out in front of the jump so the drone was in the field of vision of the jumpers. The jumpers were virtually jumping into the drone! The drone was landed and the jumping event started back up.

• Baller
Which is exactly what I'd expect a Safety, tournament director, or owner to do. What happens when someone flies a drone too close now. We didn't need a rule for common sense. The person dumb enough to fly a drone too close to jumpers or skiers didn't give two shits about a rule that USA Waterski came up with. You can't fix stupid with a rule saying drone pilots must be certified and follow FAA rules.

I've been somewhat waiting on rules for tournaments, although I expected more like "must be 50ft above the water and get tourney director/site owner approval." I was at at tournament that had overhanging power lines, another guys drone hit them and fell straight into the water. So yes it's unlikely, but still a possibility of injury. As a drone operator myself at tourneys, I'm glad there's rules. But am I going to appreciate having to get insurance and a certificate... not really

• Baller
IF I were a drone owner/operator, I would investigate whether my Homeowner's liability policy would provide liability coverage for me while using my drone. If not, I would ask if same could be endorsed (added) to my homeowner's coverage. Similarly, I would check my personal excess liability coverage. That is usually the least expensive way to obtain liability insurance. Chances are slim, but what if your drone caused a serious injury or fatality. A million might not be enough.