Radios for tournaments

TravisNW

• Baller
It’s time to get new radios for the tournament kit and I want quality radios that transmit clearly and reliably. I thought it would be simple and straightforward but the radio world seems to be complex and there can be issues involving the FCC and interference with local emergency services. I’m not oppose to walking the line as long as I can become informed and understand what I’m doing if it means I have an above par setup. So let’s hear it, what’s out there, what’s the best, what’s the safest, advantages and disadvantages. Go!

• Baller_

We use Motorola radios. I’m not sure if they are the RMM2050 or not, but they look like those. Very reliable, clear, and durable.

Correction: they look closer to the RDU4100.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
Our Baofeng’s have been very good. I’m fortunate that one of my employees is a HAM radio guy who knows the rules and how to program them properly. I’ll check the model numbers and post a pic when I’m home tomorrow. I just ordered some replacement batteries that are larger so they will last all day for the Scorer/Boat who use the most.

• Baller

I have the Baofeng uv-5r. I programmed it to use the FRS frequencies of all the typical radios. I have them on the low power setting so as to not get into too much trouble.

Use this software to program it: link

Here is a link to a config file already setup for FRS radios: link

Some monotone video explaining this:

Here's a long manual that no one will ever read: link

• Baller_
@disland we have 5 channels programmed, I'm not sure about frequencies and would have to look but we stayed away from ones that could get us into trouble with the FCC. The Baofengs were about $35. each @LLUSA so if any get dropped in the lake it's not a big problem. I have witnessed the expensive Motorola's that have gone swimming before.

• Baller
@disland if you want quality over crap it's well worth the money, I have 22 of these radios some are 10 years old, best investment other than a Beaman jump. If you watch ebay you can pick them up in lots of ten for around 125 a piece, as for @RichardDoane I haven't seen any hit the water yet, but people will walkoff with them.

@TravisNW how often are you hosting tournaments? your local 2-way radio expert will rent you super nice radios for pretty cheap. then you don't have to deal with storing them, keeping batteries healthy, technology getting old, etc.

• Baller
I bought 2 Motorola RDU4100’s on the LetGo App for $125 ea, charger and mic that you clip on your shirt. They are great but I don’t know how to get them on the same frequency as the cheap radios that you see at a lot of tournaments. I was going to take my two to go along with what the LOC is using but that hasn’t worked .............. so far.