Nautique Vs Nautique

Bruce_Butterfield

• Baller_

I've been wanting do this comparison for awhile and finally got around to it. This is a head to head with a 1997 Nautique with a 5.7L 343Hp Excalibur against a 2015 SN200 with a 6.0L 409Hp. Both have "standard" props - Acme 422 on the ‘97 and Acme 668 on the SN200 (same pitch and diameter as 422 with 0.100" more cup)

ZO set to 36, SN200 with Hydrogate in slalom mode

Consistently a full boat length ahead to 36

ZO set to 36, SN200 with Hydrogate in trick mode

A little better - 1/2 to 3/4 boat length ahead.

ZO off, WOT, SN200 with Hydrogate in trick mode

Both topped out at 47 and change - within a tenth or so.

It just doesn't seem fair.

My neighbor with the 2019, 6.2l was afraid to take his boat off the lift after watching this.

Oh, not to start another "how many hours does a boat engine last" discussion, but the 5.7l in the '97 has 1600 hours vs 570 on the 6.0l

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

I think the bimini being up is in the noise. I forget the exact numbers, but at speed the SN200 runs several hundred rpm higher than the 97. That's even with the extra cup on the 200's prop.

The slalom wake on the 97 is hands down flatter than the 200.

• Baller

Not sure a drag race has much relevance to a ski ride, other than for those with a very short set up or are at altitude. The 200, has more wetted surface and weighs more, slightly less spray at very short lines and most significantly to your pull, tracks better than a 196.

Other than that, the 196 is more nimble to drive, more responsive, easier to get around in boat ( 200 can’t get past engine box and driver seat), uses less gas and has arguably a better wake at 22 and 28.

Basically doesn’t make a difference other than you are more likely to have your driver maintain a good boat path with a 200.

• Baller_

Been there done that with many cross models. However the bubble butt SN in most all category's seems to prevail. I had a 502 in one that was a rocket ship it approached 60 mph with a special built SS 4 blade prop by OJ.

Still IMOP the bubble butt SN is and remains the best overall 3 event boat ever produced by any company.

• Baller_

@JackQ you are exactly right. This was just a fun experiment that highlights the drag of the 200 and how good the “old” nautique is.

And it was my last chance as ole faithful goes off to her new owner this weekend. 3200 hrs over the last 20 years and it still is an awesome boat.

• Baller_
We had a 2009 6L 196 on the lift for the winter months and gave the 1997 BB a nice break. When the 1997 was put back on the lift and used, the 2 main drivers noticed immediately that the 1997 had more torque and whole shot. And yes, a better wake but barely. It is simply the best hull for slalom. And short set ups from the looks of videos above. Bruce, you gave me a nice bench mark to shoot for ....3200hrs (with a repower at some point) and to know it can make it for that many hours and many more is comforting. Fun post.

• Baller
Bruce, I wonder if 3200hrs is a record? What is the most hrs without repower may be interesting, also. But I have seen more than a few boats that should have been/ need to be re powered and were dogs to ski behind and drive.

• Baller_

I bought the boat in 1999 with 160 hrs so the actual hrs on the hull is almost 3400.

I did the repower at 1750 hrs solely to get ZO and the GT40 was still going strong. Sold it to a guy in the PNW that cracked the block in is boat.

More than 1600 hrs on the 5.7 since 2012 and still going strong.

• Baller
Older boats are just faster. You could probably take a 1996 Echelon with 265 HP and whip a current TXi with it. I'd put my ski partner's 2001 MC Skier19 up against any ProStar to 36 MPH. Fun test @Bruce_Butterfield :)

• Baller
I have a very short set up, my 08 196 with a 343 has no problem getting up to speed before the 55's I only use about half or a little more throttle. There are 2 skiers that like full throttle on the start but they want that with all boats they ski behind.

• Baller

@skimtb

Only one guy in our club wants the full hole shot treatment. The other guys and the four ladies like the progressive throttle approach. I would say most often I'm barely hitting 1/2 throttle.

2Valve

• Baller

I had a 96 Nautique with GT-40 3 blade prop that I bought when I was a new member of CC promo team that year. Fastest 0-36, 0-40,0-WOT that I ever drove to this day. Top speed was 50(calibrated). Dealer (Maloon Family member) told me that promos were tweaked at the factory to provide more power than stock. As a 23 yr Sr 3 event driver, I've driven more than my fair share of boats. Wish I still had that one.

• Baller

My ‘99 SN with GT40 Ford Block is my all time favorite. Killed the 2007 with Excalibur out of the hole in drag race and wake seemed better to me as well. Lots of interior and cockpit room. I feel cramped in the new SN’s and can’t fit past the motor box.

• Baller

So really dumb....panda me. My daughter likes to surf and we are dependent on s'one to give us rides which rarely works out. I broke down and bought some ballast and a friend gave me a wake shaper.

I have a 2000 SN 196 with a GT40. We put 2600 lbs of ballast in there taking up all the floor space. Remarkable how easy she holds it...and wide open she still does 43??????

At 10-12 throws a big 'ol swell for surfing...obviously unweighted the slalom wake rocks. My buddies wake pig can't pull slalom even unloaded, and has trouble reaching barefoot speed.

The 196 is a pretty classic hull for so many reasons...never thought I'd say for this one.