Whisper Fin VS CG Fin

Justin_C

• Baller

DISCLAIMER: This is not a "which one is better"

I have been watching the many reviews and discussion surrounding these two fins for a while now and I believe that both have been on the market long enough to be able to offer some valid comparisons. On a personal note, I am curious about buying one of these fins, as are many others I would presume. To avoid reading through many different threads and comparing information, I thought it might be nice to keep it all in one spot.

Both fins seem to have excellent support directly from their creators right here on this site which is awesome! General consensus seems to be that both are an improvement over stock fins. Both fins should fit on pretty well every brand of ski. As I have not tried the fins personally, I can only go off of what others and the developers themselves are saying.

Whisper fin seems to be a great choice for people not as comfortable with tuning their own skis but want to be able to dial their ski in accurately and consistently. Possibly better for skiers -28 and longer?

CG Fin is $100 cheaper and is specific to stance.

If you are going to claim one to be better than another, please offer your explanation as to why.

• Baller
I was told by two very high end skiers that the CG immediately had them putting up big scores but was hard on the body causing a lot of soreness the day after. They also said that in contrast the Whisper fin was easier on the body than the stock fin (and the CG). They both felt that the Whisper fin had a ton of potential and preferred it. Both are on the Whisper fin.

• Baller
I guess Whitney, Drew, Neilly, Chad Scott, Chet Raley, Jmac, Dodd, Freddy, Nate (tying WR's multiple times in practice behind Chad) and a host of other elite skiers are not very good at adjusting their fins so they chose the Whisperfin... :)

• Baller
@Jordan - that's interesting. I had the opposite experience. I started this season on a CG fin on my 67 Evo because I was using that fin late last year. Switched to the WF and started going through the bindings-forward, fin-smaller progression and got sore as s--t. Felt like soreness was more due to having a LOT of ski in the water than the fin. Moved bindings back to where I like them (as far back as I can get them on my plate) and was OK with the WF. Have since switched back to the CG and am gradually working out of my constant soreness. I like both fins. Right now I feel like I have better "drive" with the CG. Will probably go back to the WF at some point to compare again. Like all new equipment, you lose the "new feel" (aka honeymoon) after a while and it just feels normal. Disclaimer: I'm not a "very high end skier". I'm a 35 hack.

• Baller
@jayski Not at all what I was implying. I was saying that the way @SkiJay developed his system of dialing in your ski does not need any specific tools (i.e. 8" callipers) and can be done, more or less by following a set formula. Many average Joe's would find this easier than getting measurements down to the .xxx".