What I have noticed about our first Prostar

ski4xtc

• Baller

After owning 15 other boats starting with a Ski Brendella when in college, this year we purchased our first MasterCraft Prostar. There are so many good things we have noticed that makes me just love the boat. I get excited to use it. I am not promo person and do not have any reason to write this post except to say how great I think the boat is. After using the boat for a few months, here is a list of what I have noticed and like:

The driver’s seat rocks. It easily adjusts to where you want it and it reclines. A big bonus is the ski rope never gets caught on the seat when pulling out a skier.

The middle seat is engineered into the boat and part of the boat. You can fold the back down as a step or to get it out of the way.

The passenger’s seat lifts completely up to make it easy to get to storage. It is also heated with the heated seats option.

The fiberglass bow cover makes the boat like a closed bow.

The large notches in the swim platform make is easier to get into the boat after a ski ride.

The boat drives great. The steering wheel is weighted just right and is comfortable.

The drain plug location is so easy to get to. Best of all is it is not in the engine compartment.

The bimini is one of my favorite things. I can put it up and take it down myself. It easily stores folded down and protected under the travel cover. Engineering = 10+ out of 10

The base engine has plenty of power getting out of the water and up to speed for the average skier, even at high altitude of 5,000 feet. The oil filter location makes changing the oil simple and less messy. The fan in the engine compartment helps move hot air out of the compartment which is a bonus at high altitude.

The ski racks are terrific. They are out of the way which works for our use. Yet, they would be great for skiers that do not ski off a dock.

A big plus is how the rope rarely gets caught anywhere on the boat when picking up a fallen skier or pulling out at the ends of the lake.

The touch display is easy to use and very intuitive. You do not have to read the manual to figure anything out.

The quality of the gelcoat is very good. We have not found any little bubbles or air voids and it looks really nice.

Water temperature gauge is accurate. It is always very close to our weather station and mercury thermometer readings.

Best of all is the wake. It is great at all speeds…. Especially -22 off. No surprises and it seems to be consistent from Prostar to Prostar.

Really the only thing that we miss even a little is being able to fuel from either side of the boat. Not a big deal. Just need to think ahead.

In summary, big kudos to @MarcusBrown and all the other engineers at MasterCraft who thought of everything to make the Prostar such a great ski boat.

• Baller
im in the same boat as you are , litetally! my first boat was a ski brendella in college. made it thru 3 spring breaks in lake havasu that my next boat was an MB Sports. Have had many ski boats since and my 17 Prostar has been my favorite.

• Baller

Agree with almost everything @ski4xtc posted ...except for the engine fan part.No one is gonna convince me that the fan is a plus...

It's noisy and it's a Band-Aid on a design flaw.

Love the rest of the boat.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_

Do not buy a Prostar without the ballast system to balance the boat. Boat drives like crap if not level.

Love the floor, pull, cockpit and everything else.

If you are on public water, put the top on and don’t risk dumping a lot of water into the bow area.

• Baller

Love the prostar. We had 5 skis (3 skis and pair of combos), a wakeboard, 2 adults and two kids in the boat a while back. The roominess and ski racks are simply awesome, boat still felt huge.

Ski Wake of course is fantastic as well. Pretty crummy for wakeboarding, but that’s the point....

I’ve only used a few times but the simplicity of the Bimini is amazing as well.

• Baller
I started skiing the course at a club with a provided 200, absolutely loved the boat. Started skiing tournaments and getting behind an MC and wasn’t in love. I bought a 14’ and joined another club that I take it to. Now we ski about 125 sets a year behind a combination of both the 200 and my prostar. My brother and I have both really enjoyed my prostar more and more every set. It is an absolutely fantastic boat.

• Baller

Awesome boat with great wake. Base motor on the '15 has more than enough power at 1,000', with a very strong hole shot. Very roomy inside. Subjective, but I think it's the best looking of the new ski boats. Super easy to winterize.

Seems like there may be some slight variances between boats though.....

@ScottScott (and others) - the only way to reach the drain plug in my buddies '15, is to lay down on the floor and reach your arm all the way back towards the motor. Total pain in the a$$ to get to.

@The_MS - no issues with the '15 riding level without a spotter, or weight on the passenger side. Chine spray looks to be pretty even, and the boat tracks the same with our without a spotter. Much more noticeable issue in my '03 RLXi.

Agreed that the front blower fan is ridiculously loud. The interior is pretty loud overall with the bare fiberglass interior. Haven't been in one with carpet or other flooring material to see if there is a difference. I thought the new Nautique was pretty loud as well. Maybe they all are with the lack of carpet?

Only a couple minor issues so far. Not a big fan of the raised letters. Boat doesn't even have 100 hours on it and the letters have all been peeling off one side, and starting to peel on the other (but at least they are being replaced under warranty). Bimini is very slick and easy to use (looks great as well), but both of the aluminum guides are worn to the point where the bimini can slip out. They can be replaced, but are ~$150 each.

• Administrators

Every ProStar I have had (5 so far) the plug is under the center seat. Easy.

Your dealer and factory warranty may strongly disagree but you can disconnect the blower in the front of the engine box.

• Baller

I have it on (very) good authority that you can disconnect the blower. It MAY in extreme conditions effect performance, but those would be rare situations where there could be a minor loss of power.

The drain plug is in the hull, by nature it must be. Regardless of where it is, it'll take a little reach to get down to the hull from the floor, but relative to many other boats this is a very user friendly location.

The aluminum guides for the bimini are a weak point, we have had the corner piece on the windshield replaced replaced under warranty and new ones are already showing a little sign of wear....next time it wears through i'll be looking into a way to re-engineer that...those corner pieces won't be cheap to replace.

There are a small number of gripes, but overall its a great boat. Best on the market.

• Baller

Interesting that this thread resurfaced tonight. I have been skiing behind other boats for the last couple of weeks until tonight. It was so nice to come back home and ski behind our Prostar. I always thinks the other boats are fine but they are not the same. Nothing beats the wake on the Prostar which is huge when you struggle with the wake. The other thing I have noticed with the Prostar is you only hear small complaints about the boat like the fan is noisy. If there could only be one ski boat, this would be the one for me. I love this boat! mo3vexvwgpnb.jpg

• Baller

@powbmps Have you tried removing the seat bottom from the jump seat?

I take my bimini down so I never have to remove from the guides.

My biggest complaint is having to idle down each time you crank it even when the engine is warm. Haven't had to do that with other boats.

I LOVE this boat!

• Baller

@ski4xtc - that is a great looking boat!

This is embarrassing....I shouldn't post anything after a couple drinks. We ski a '17.

I'm still convinced the drain plug is in an odd location though. I'll take a photo next time we are out.

Temporarily naked...

9w812bzef3vx.jpg

• Baller
@powbmps, the plastic grates that keep your stuff off the floor of the bilge should have a cut-out at the back to get at the drain, any chance they're backwards or something? Should be able to remove the center seat lower piece and reach straight down to the plug.

• Baller

xg6ejop93jn2.jpeg

Love my ‘17 PS.

Some of my favorite things,

1) The soft and small wake. Have never skied behind a boat with a better wake at any line length, period.

2) Decadence floor.

3) Roominess.

4) Ski racks.

5) Bow cover.

6) Convertible passenger seat/walk through.

7) Super user friendly touch screen.

8) Great visibility.

9) Etc, Im sure I’ve missed a few.

What a great season it’s been and everyone in the group has improved a lot.

One weird thing...the way the bilge area is shaped it’s hard to drain all the water out of it when the plug is pulled. Part of the issue is a fiberglass mini ‘wall’ just in front of the pylon that doesn’t let all the water flow forward to the drain.

There is a small hole drilled in it but it’s not big enough, might have to enlarge it.

Pretty small negative vs the huge positive list I would say.

@sullyski @brooks

Gotta get out to our lake next year and go for a rip.