Regina Jaquess New World Women’s Slalom Record Approved

Horton

• Administrators

18th July 2019

The IWWF World Waterski Council has approved Regina Jaquess New Women's Slalom Record 4.5 buoys @ 10.25 metres set on 6th July 2019 at Lymand Land USA Duncanville, Alabama.

click here for video

http://www.iwsf.com/RecordApplications/Jaquess4.5@10.25/Reg%2041%203.5%207-6-19.mp4

Regina, the current IWWF Women's World Waterski Champion and has broken the last four world records.

2012-06-17 Regina Jaquess USA 3@10.25/55 Cedar Ridge Early Record 2 Canton, MS USA

2014-06-07 Regina Jaquess USA 3.25@10.25 Big Dawg Warm-up 1 Cedar Ridge Lake, Canton, MS USA

2016-11-05 Regina Jaquess USA 3.5/10.25/55 Isles Junior Invitational Isles of Lake Hancock Ski Club, Winter Garden, FL USA

2018-07-16 Regina Jaquess USA 4@10.25/55 July Heat Isles of Lake Hancock, Winter Garden, FL USA

Source

http://iwwf.sport/regina-jaquess-new-womens-slalom-record-4-5-10-25-metres-approved/

• Baller

My all time favorite training/inspiration video. My contention, I think probably pretty much broadly shared, is that great women skiers are probably better form skiers than men, since men can rely more on their strength to muscle through the course.

• Baller

Awesome skiing for sure! It was awesome standing on the shoreline at Lymanland watching Regina ski all weekend, especially her 4-1/2@41 and 4@41 (two different drivers).

I had already seen the boat path video for the 4-1/2@41. This video was the basis for my comments in the other thread that the prop wash in this video never comes close to touching any boat guides, versus the screenshots from somewhere else that were posted by @Horton that showed the prop wash bouncing from left boat guide to right boat guide to left boat guide, and so on - with the skier. No zig-zagging here.

• Baller

@jayski In the other thread, that opinion was clearly disagreed with. Yes, pylon matters.

But, prop wash IS an indication of boat path. And, prop wash engulfing boat guides and swapping side to side with the skier is not good driving. Or, not the best driving.

• Baller

Looked pretty close as to whether she got back in the buoy line, with line control. Surprised they gave her 4 1/2. 4 1/4 would have still been a new record.

As good as Whitney and Manon are, makes Reginas dominance that much more impressive.

• Supporting Member

@ScottScott At 41 off, it is impossible to NOT cross the 1/2 point line if you hold the handle even for an instant. And I'm not sure what you mean about "line control" -- that is not required for 1/2s afaik.

At -41, 1/4 can only occur combined with a massive outbound wipe-out. And that's more likely to be no buoy at all!

I checked with Rodger Logan (TC for the tournament) and Jerry Jackson, who approved the record application and sent it to IWWF. The video that's attached at the beginning of this thread is missing quite a few frames and appears to show that she only got 4. Both Roger and Jerry affirmed (from original video with no missing frames) that Regina did get outside the buoy for the 4 1/2 score. World records are reviewed by the TC for the tournament, then by Jerry, prior to being submitted. Then an IWWF panel of multiple judges review the records before approval. Boat path, skier video from the boat, along with rope measurements and all the other data have to meet record specs.

Regina earned the new record. She got around the buoy and boat path was in spec. I'll try to get a good copy of the video from Bob Corson. If he sends, I'll forward to Horton for re-posting.

Congrats to Regina!!!

• Baller

@MS no, boat video is required and therefore the boat video is reviewed to make sure she actually got outside the buoys, where she lost the handle, where she fell, etc.

Also the survey is reviewed to be sure everything is in line with class R specs.

• Baller

@MS the score at the tournament and what's in the books may not be the same as what's approved (or disproved) in a record review.

A few years ago at a July 4 tournament in TX Regina ran what sure looked like 3.5@10.25. The majority score at the tournament was 3-1/2 and we looked over that video ten way from Sunday in every way possible. Ultimately the record application was submitted with what was called at the tournament (3-1/2). However the record was denied because the score was reduced to 3 after the boat video review.

This happens much more often in tricks where the event judges calling credit/no credit don't agree with the record review. Often times a trick would be changed to no credit and the score reduced in the record review. However that does NOT change the score at that tournament or any standings at the tournament.

In essence the record review is a clean slate review of what happened and the scores do not have to match what the judges at the tournament decided. Think about it, there would be no need for a record review in tricks or jump if the score couldn't change after the tournament. Same with slalom now that a boat video is required for class R.

• Baller

@MS

Here's the video of the pass @klindy referred to. I was the boat judge for that one and continued to see the orange buoy as her ski passed by in real time. The IWWF review ultimately decided she more than grazed y he buoy. This video includes some stop frame at the end with all the frames.

• Supporting Member
@Kelvin Looks like correct call there? I mean obviously anybody is gonna call that 3.5 in real time, but if you have the video then it's 3. Or is there further room for debate? (That's a serious question: I'm always interested in learning more about rules and interpretations.)

• Baller

The fact she does this AND tricks AND jumps with the best of them while working full time makes her the most dominant watersports athlete in history IMO. Who else throughout history could say they do that and have the results she has?

And you guys are dorks. How many of you are JFK conspiracy nuts?

Congrats @Rjaquess on an unreal accomplishment! Congrats @Chad_Scott on another record with you at the helm of the TXi!