Please help decide what ski to buy

Peterhead

Looking into advice on buying a new ski, I have a 1990 O'Brien world team and the bindings are pretty beat up and want to replace with whole new ski. I'm an aggressive advanced skier and love my ski but think it's very old new ones must be alot better but want to make the right purchase. I'm looking at a radar butter knife but seems like it's a beginner and I'm not that but also don't want to pay crazy money for a ski. I should ski a 67 but mine is a 69 also looking for recommendations should I stay 69 or goto what I should ski? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

That's a good idea but I have no video, I cut hard every turn and bruise my calf in the wash. I'm 5'8 180 lbs have been skiing over 30 years since I was 14 on the obrien I am so used to it although it's old I find it turns great but the newer binding just don't fit the mounting holes and I would like something new. Getting up isn't ever a problem for me so not sure I need the wider ski. Thanks for the comments so far I will try and post a video soon

Thanks for your advice, I do like the Senate it's a higher price is all but don't want to spend good money on something I don't enjoy. I am just a free water skier no courses but I do ski like I'm on a course. My ski being 29 years old I kinda think any decent new ski would be an improvement but have never skied anything else. The O'Brien siege I think it is also looks nice but radar seems to be very popular

• Baller

@Peterhead I got a World Team in 1976 and we still have it in the shed back home. And I got a newer ski in 1981 that was a way better ski so you are overdue.

I would recommend something like this D3 Custom 2 for $150. It’s looks like it’s in great shape. It is going to turn better, be more aggressive if you want to, AND it will be forgiving (easy, no surprises) to ski on.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=36896.

Then, because you are used to rubber bindings, I would order a set of rubber bindings from Wileyski.com to mount on there. Or maybe you can find some used ones on ski-it-again as well. This familiar to you, type binding will be more supportive than than what you have, but not be such a big change that it will feel weird. Package deal should keep you around $400 and you will be a happy man.

• Baller

@Peterhead please check out the position paper I just wrote. I think it might very well be relevant to you before you go make a costly mistake.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-NiENHZt0sC7WDBaeVk6QK9OJzQ4-DYISGE1h_PPjPI/edit?usp=sharing

Also, I disagree with @skibrain about the bindings. When I upgraded my ski in 2012 from my old 1997 ski, that was actually my #1 favorite part was moving from those old darn rubber bindings to a nice comfy lace up. Don't discount the possibility that there may very well be a great reason that 95% of skis sold with bindings these days are sold with lace-ups.

• Baller

Good buy I think you will like it. It may not be love at first ski though. That Vapor boot is much stiffer than the binding on your old ski. It is going to take 3-6 sets likely to get comfortable with it. I went from a Strada boot to that Vapor Carbitex boot and it took me 2 sets before I could get the ski to turn right and that was a much smaller change than you are making.

When you pull the liner out of the boot there are some plastic shims around the ankles. You might want to pull those out to start as they make the boot even stiffer. I have pulled mine out and haven't put them back.

Be patient and give it some time it is a great ski.

• Baller
Nice ski and that boot looks like a Vector to me - I've had a 2 of those and love that boot. I tend to leave the top laces fairly loose so I will come out if i fall. Like Mark said, give the ski several runs before you make a judgement - it takes a few rides to figure out where you need to stand on a new ski. You also might consider moving the RTP up one hole so it's closer to the front boot

Thanks you are correct vector binding, my bad. Thanks I will take it easy for a few sets to get used to it I do think it will take some getting used to as the boot feels way differant. I was thinking of moving the rear boot all the way forward at first so on that recomedation I will move it up before I ski it thanks everybody for the advise.

• Baller

@ballsohard I'm okay with being the pansy on the lake. My shin isn't black and blue anymore... And I imagine that I care more about how my legs look in a skirt than you do!

(Truth be told, I haven't actually tried going without the spray guard in over two years. Since then my ski and my form have improved substantially so I might not even need it anymore.)