D3 NRG R1

ISP6ball

• Baller

I'm surprised how little this ski is getting talked about on ballofspray. I've been on the R1 for about a month now, and absolutely love it! Prior to stepping onto the R1, I rode the EVO-S for a couple weeks. Although it is a nice ski, it was clear the R1 was a better fit for me. Don't get me wrong, there are some really good characteristics about the EVO-S, but the R1 took me to a special place.

My initial concern was that the new 'exciting' phase of the R1 would wear off. So far, that hasn't been the case. This is one of the smoothest, predictable, turning skis I've ever been on. It has an aggressive, yet controlled, cross course feel . My offside is equal to, if not better than my onside right now.

I was a fan of the previous NRG, but I was inconsistent on some of the turns. At times, the ski was unpredictable. I'm sure some of it was due to my inconsistent posture on the ski. Regardless, D3 has clearly done their homework on this new NRG R1. The good characteristics of the old NRG remain for me, but the predictable 'ARC'ing turns that D3 skis are known for are included in this new model.

I know I have a lot to learn from this ski, and I'm only on the initial stage of this ride. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season on this ski.

If anybody else has been on the R1, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Baller

I solved that problem thanks to Adam Cord. Placed a washer under the center fin block screw ( left side if RFF ), a .030 difference to shallow that side. Made all the difference to keep the tip down, allow the ski to turn better, and accelerate off the Apex.