New EVO. Can't stay on edge... Frustrated.

Jboss

• Baller
Hey Gang. I very recently upgraded from my trusty old KD7000 to a new D3 EVO. I'm struggling big time to stay on edge through the wake. I have no problem on my KD. I am inexperienced with making adjustments to skis. Do you have any basic recommendations for me to try (one change at a time of course)? FYI, I bought XL front and XL back T-Factor bindings for the EVO. Even then, I had to move the front boot all the way forward so that the toes on my rather large size 13 rear foot wouldn't hit the back of the front boot. Make sense? Thanks in advance for your help!

• Baller

The front binding measurement to the back of the ski is a critical measurement, and that distance is published for that ski on the D3 website and in the D3 literature which came with the ski. That is done first, before the rear binding is placed on the ski. Then the rear binding is placed relative to the front binding.

Placing the front binding simply based on rear binding position is backward and could cause wildly unpredictable ski performance.

• Baller

@jhughes I checked that measurement and it's spot-on for my 67" (30" between). Here are a few pics I just took. Not sure if they are of any help but figured I'd try. Oh, and I haven't touched the wing. It's still at the factory setting.

ggrvfsireuyx.jpg

lum0qkl5sedr.jpg

htmriy3yrf7l.jpg

chbu658jkc3h.jpg

hkn4fkd2sbxw.jpg

• Baller
You need to measure the distance from the rear edge of the ski to the rear of your FRONT binding. That measurement should equal the manufacturer's stock measurement for the front binding location. Once the front binding is set, you can locate the rear binding as needed so your toes have enough room. Where the bindings were on a previous ski doesn't matter.

• Baller

@Jboss put your old bindings on the new ski. That will tell you right away if it's the ski or the bindings.

My guess is it's the rear T-Factor that's causing the problem. As a front boot I have no problems with that binding, but as a rear it's height and stiffness can cause your rear shin to be the driving force behind how the ski acts. This is not what you want. Your old rubber boots will let your shins move independently of eachother, which is a good thing.

You might end up running the new T-Factor on the front and your old rear rubber boot.

• Baller

@jayski I feel rock solid on edge through the wake on my KD. On the EVO, I feel like I'm being pulled forward.

@Steven_Haines I don't have a caliper (I obviously need one) but I haven't touched it since factory.

@AdamCord That's a great idea. I think I might start by just swapping the rear binding. If that solves the problem, then great. If not, I can then swap the front. Depending on water conditions, it may be a day or two before I can experiment.

• Baller

Just to be clear on front binding position.

awyhemp1vm0y.png

"Factory" fin settings (as others have said) is not how the fin was set when the ski shipped to you, it is the factory recommended position (findable on the D3 website) that needs to be checked and set with a caliper. Impossible to tell about that from the photos, however from the side photo of your fin, it looks like a very steep and excessive wing angle compared to what you are running on the KD. D3 has a down-loadable printable set of wing angle guides.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan Well I'm certainly one of those who didn't realize just how big a deal it is to change bindings. I'm learning now!

@skibrain Based on your pic, my front binding measures at 30-1/4". If I move it back 1/4" to be on spec, I run into the "toes issue" that I mentioned earlier. I have my rear binding set all the way back too, so no more adjustment there. Could I have a situation here where these bindings just won't work for me? I sure hope not. Ugh.

• Baller

Take your ski to a pro shop, or to a fellow skier with ski setup knowledge, anything could be off, fin, boot placement, new boots. Trying the new ski with your old boots or just the rear boot on might help you determine what the issue is.

Also noticed that you are running the wing on the KD right side up, usually we are running wings upside down. Is this deliberate or by accident? Also did you install the wing using an angle gauge? 7° I believe, looks steep in the photo.

• Baller

@Jboss Looking at the picture showing the fin and wings. It looks like the wing on the EVO is at a far steeper angle than the 7000. It also is the other way up than the 7000.

Its hard to tell what angle the wing is actually at but if that is the case why not at least put it at the same angle as the 7000. I would also check the factory angle setting for the wing. You might want to even try it the same orientation.

• Baller
@Jboss you should really follow the advice of @AdamCord and put your old bindings on the ski and get used to the ski then change bindings. You should also get calipers and wing gauges or at least make friends with someone who has them to get the fun set up properly.