2001 Sport Nautique

vtmecheng

• Baller
I recently saw an 01 Sport Nautique for sale really close to me. What is this boat like for slalom? Being an open bow with a jump seat behind the driver, it looks promising for a family ski boat but if the wake sucks then it isn't worth my consideration.

• Baller

I have a 99 Sport nautique with factory tower which I believe is the same hull as the 01, The slalom wake at 32-34 is actually very nice.....it's fairly small at 15' off and very soft.

We also wakeboard and surf behind ours, I don't think you would be disappointed at all but that might also depend on what your used to skiing behind and what line length and speed

• Baller

Great point @Ronny61 I should have mentioned my intended purposes. I am a beginner to the course, skiing 15 off at 30 mph but am looking to up the speed as I progress. I am skiing on a private pond where the owner has a boat, so this wouldn't be used for that course. I see it more for the family, teaching my kids to ski, my wife wake skating, and me free skiing. It's possible that the boat will be used for a course on public water now and then so it needs to have that ability.

I know a Sunsetter is the preferred option for all of this but if a Sport Nautique would be a decent alternative then I may go take this for a test drive. I did some searching on BOS but didn't find a ton on the Sport Nautique.

• Baller

Yes, the 99-04 Sunsetter LXI is supposed to be the best all around boat in this category. When I bought mine I researched both the best I could and decided I could get more for my money with the Sport Nautique. I think a comparable Sunsetter to the 01 your looking at on SIA will cost you 4-5 K more. We love our 99 and I can't imagine the Sunsetter being that much better for the money. Ours has the factory tower and ballast and really works well for everything. If you have the opportunity to demo that boat I think it is definitely worth your time. These boats are built well and very solid, the GT-40 is a great engine as well

I recommend determining what options you want on your boat and what total cost will be in the end to set it up that way. Tower, racks, tower bimini, perfect pass, heater, travel cover etc. You could easily spend 6-8k adding all these to a boat or you can look for one that is set up the way you want it. The one on SIA looks like a very nice boat and if you don't need all the extras and could buy it for 15k I think it is a great value, even if you add a bunch of these options over time and keep the boat long term then it is still a good value imho

• Baller
A very close buddy of mine had an ‘01 Sport as well, and I was actually surprised how much I liked it. Shorten up to -28 to get in front of the rooster, and it’s a darn nice boat. Handled and tracked very well too. Sounds like maybe a good option for your needs.

• Baller
For an open bow do everything boat it really does have good wakes for slalom. I skied on my buddy's 1998 Sport for a few years. I think where there is a problem is at lower speeds (24-28mph) the wake is bigger than a tournament boat.

• Baller

The 206 is a better ski boat, no question in my mind. I'm not so sure about more interior space, however. The Sport is about a foot longer than the 206. However, by 04 they reduced the size of the gunnels, so there is more room beside the motor box in the 206. I don't have specs in front of me, but I would just suggest to double check your assumption.

• Baller

@vtmecheng I am pretty sure the Sport is not really a TSC hull (despite the sticker - my 99 Sport has the TSC decal). If I remember correctly: there was a discussion on Correct Craft Fan a while back about this where @Jody_Seal confirmed this.

edit: I found the thread on CCF:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20031&title=98-sport

• Baller

It's not a TSC hull. But like Jody stated in that thread, it was quite probably they put TSC stickers on the Sports (either inadvertently or on purpose).

Don't let the monitor or lack there of scare you though, it's a really nice boat.

• Baller
Thanks for the info @swc5150. Any other thoughts on comparing the 2004 Ski Nautique 206 to a 2000-2001 Sport Nautique for a family ski boat. The 206 looks to be a more expensive option so I'm wondering what extra is gotten for the higher price.

• Baller
If the budget warrants, I'd go 206. Ski wake will be better, and it'll likely hold its value better in the long run. Perhaps parts will be easier to source for the 5.7 in the 206 vs the 5.8 in the Sport going forward too. It really depends on the price variance and your comfort zone.

• Baller

@vtmecheng "Hallpass why do you say the 206 is a better ski wake?" I say it because I've spent a lot of time skiing behind both. Admittedly, not skiing in Slalom course. However, the wake is just better in the 206 for skiing. To me 206 also drives better than the Sport. But, the Sport is a great boat - drives well, skis well, wakeboards well. I've seen people surf them, though I have never done so. But your question was about a ski boat.

If you do some searches around this site, you'll find some very good slalom skiers who used the 206 as their training boats. I have read a few were promo boats. I've read some of the good skiers on this site lament that they wish Correct Craft still made the 206.

One guy's observations. Take it FWIW.