TXI tracking & wedge bracket

Kellen417

• Baller

Hi all,

I’m trying to figure out why my ‘13 txi doesn’t track as well as my old ‘03 LX did.

Seems crazy to me but No matter where I level & weight it or how Much I load the rudder with the tab (or don’t) I nearly get the same result. The boat wants to over steer both directions when you counter and drive a serpentine path through the course.

It’s a hair easier to drive going 34+ but it takes an a good deal of concentration and to drive this boat well from gate to gate.

It seems lots of tournament set up txi’s get a small amount of rudder grind so I’ll be figuring that out at soon. I expect this could help the lack of steering tension I’m feeling when the skier is free of the boat.

I thought this through a good amount today and it just dawned on me that there is a Malibu wedge plate on the back (no wedge). My ‘03 though a completely different hull, did not have this.

I’m curious if anyone could shine any light on the possibility of this being a culprit adding to the inconsistencies in tracking through the slalom course.

Thanks for any insight

• Baller
2013 is a bigger boat. LX was lower and smaller. In 2012 Malibu did move the engine forward to help with this. I have a 2009 LXi and a little weight in the bow compartments and you are good. I do have some load on the rudder as well. Either way they aren’t going to drive the same at all.

• Baller

Thanks guys, there is some slop sorta all over the steering system. I eliminated it near the rudder & also tightened the cable a bit & made sure all the nuts were locked down. I’d say this reduced the issue by at least 1/2. Now this afternoon I need to get Into to the rack to check that because it feels like the rest is potentially in there. Problem now is kinda stupid, I can’t figure out how to take the cap off the wheel to get at it and don’t wanna pry at it blindly.

No, the 2013 should not have tracking issues, should be a dream to drive...

Also, this thing is a baby, only 315 hours & Only 115 were straight water skiing.

• Baller

Well, the cable probably does need a change, but not quite yet. The dealer I bought it from NEVER locked the cable down properly. On either side. So basically, it was not tight & in the wrong position for proper tension. Thus letting the cable sorta do what it wanted. Then there was just enough looseness in the tiller connection to let it twist a bit before the cable got direct pressure to it.

Then it just got full lube & I weighted the passenger side with 100lbs. Seems to be about the magic # for us since we never have a passenger.

I think the cable is worn much more than it should be after being driven like that for however long before I got it.

I did go in the steering wheel but it looked like I needed a puller to go further. I think there is a small amount of play in there, but the wheel/rudder are not floating anymore through the course so I’m good for now. Driving like it should