Raised Rear Foot Bed ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

I know that some people will say try it and see. but we often talk about being balanced, so here's my question, is there any benefit in raising the rear foot bed, would it help you get onto the front foot more or would it encourage you to put more weight on the back across the wake, I often feel that my heel is lifted through the course, would it be better to just raise it to the same level as the front footbed or jus a little higher.

I have seen good skiers that have ankle problems ski with a wedge under the rear binding, my main concern was the possibility of ending up on the back of the ski more, my problem is more the knee than the ankle on my rear placement.

Anybody explored this avenue ?

• Baller

There have been other conversations, and I've heard it brought up in other venues.... Generally it appears to NOT be recommended. Some back foot raising with various front boot scenarios that may bring the front foot up a little higher can be good so they match. But in general, being raised can still allow more weight on the back...maybe even more than it not being raised.

I do think there could be some consideration if you have ankle issues though. Its also recommended that the rear foot stay flat on the ski most of the time. I have a little less flexibility in my back ankle which means I either need to be more on the back, or the heel up. A little heal raise could be a benefit for me there...I haven't messed with it though.

• Baller_

Very much expored this. When I used double hardshells, both heals were elivated but the back a good bit more. Performance was better then heals flat to the ski. Then in transitioning to RTP style, I noticed a marked improvement with the RTPs where the entire foot bed was raised by design. At the time of testing RTPs I had 5 diff styles from flat to raised. Hands down FOR ME, elivated was way better. Confused the heck out of me so I asked someone deap into the knowledge of ski/fin/boot and how they play with each other. Basically he said ...cause it suits your style. Was hoping for more of a scientific answere but bottom line was it works for me. It's less about the science sometimes and more of what gear plays nice with your current skiing style. So unfortunalty, to what you didn't want to hear...you should just try it and see.

• Baller

This past season I tried every possible height wedge and it felt so much more comfortable. Unfortunately no matter what it was just about unskiable.

Vapor 2019 Pro Build

Very bad heel fracture in 2005 limits ankle flex. Seemed like a solution but it didn’t work for me

• Baller

Since it's about rear foot, I'm going to ask,

What about the rear boot, lined up in the center, or to the right or to the left? LFF, double Radar Strata boots. I always had it to the left and thought I'd try it to the right. I'm on my 5-6 set and haven't really found any difference, but thought you coaches/pros would have a recommendation. I'm thinking it might have a direct affect on my rear knee placement which I've heard is suppose to be behind the front knee. At -15 off 34 mph, it may not be a major factor. I searched for the other thread, but didn't get a match either.

George A. Amonette

78 Water Oak Ln.

Jacksons Gap, Alabama

• Baller
So RTP or boot, center, toes right or left of center. Any standard? I know we all sure try it and see what works for us. But I'd think science, physics, engineers would have a true recommendation. Standing by?

George A. Amonette

78 Water Oak Ln.

Jacksons Gap, Alabama

• Baller

I can adapt to any lift or rear height with no buoy count effect. Tried a lot of interesting setups.

I will recommend against twisting the rear toe the wrong way. Trick setup is of course the right way (twist counterclockwise for RFF). I actually gained buoys by twisting clockwise (RFF). Improved my offside turn which makes sense if you think about adding power from the heel to that edge. But it ended up hurting my left hip. So I abandoned that idea. An upside down plate set up my rear binding that way on a later ski (measured perfectly but installed perfectly wrong) broke my hip on an aggressive pull out for the gates (no fall!). So I strongly advise not to twist the rear binding the wrong way!

Eric

• Baller

I have to agree with @Wish....For years I used Goode Powershells that had a spring setup on the rear boot. Four years ago I switched to a Reflex Supershell with R-Style Rear. Ended up raising the rear heel of the R-Style 3/8". Feels natural that way and helps me transfer weight better to the front foot.

• Baller

In biomechanics you have closed chain and open chain. Closed chain is where the foot/binding/ski are accepting body weight and open chain is when they are not.

If you are seeking rear heel load in your skiing raising it up will increase tail pressure. If you are balanced forwards but want to feel the rear foot pressure raising it may help.

Basically the question becomes are you able to dorsiflex your front ankle and put weight on it. If no raising the rear heel will just rotate you onto it