HO Omni. Course Ski or Not ?

MickeyThompson

• Baller

The following statements were made by @Horton. Which one is correct?

A. “For many skiers, the Omni would be a better choice than a more expensive and less stable traditional slalom ski. For this review, I ran numerous 32 offs on the 67 inch ski and through 35 off on the 65 inch ski. You can certainly take the Omni to shorter rope lengths, but past 35 off, a ski like the Syndicate Pro would be a better choice.”

B. “You can run balls on a Omni but it is best suited for less aggressive skiing. It is a great ski but not the best for chasing balls. “

• Baller

You are taking things out of context, the answer depends on which Omni you are talking about.

@Horton wrote the words you quoted in option A about the Syndicate Omni. That ski is great in the course as stated. If you are talking about the plain Omni, then option B is probably correct because that ski is designed more for free skiing with a softer flex and the non-adjustable shark type fin.

• Baller
It does seem like a bit of a contradiction. For Horton who can run into 39 it certainly isn't the right ski. For most of us mortals it likely could be a very good ski. I know the community here is filled with very good skiers but I bet less than 10% regularly run 35 off never mind 38. For most people the class of the Omni and Senate would be very good course skis.

• Baller
Again, I think this is a case of confusing the Omni with the Syndicate Omni. When Horton mentioned the Omni in the recently deceased thread, RIP, he was likely referring to the base Omni (no word in front of the name). The review he did last year was of the Syndicate Omni. The difference in flex and fin likely are large for course application. This confusion is likely why Radar calls their base level the Alloy Senate instead of just the Senate.

• Administrators

I am sorry if I got wordy and made it confusing. Bottom line is that the Omni is a really good ski for some applications. It is not for high end buoy chasing at 35 off or shorter. It is not the ideal ski for skiers with high level skills. It is a great ski for 15 off to 28 off buoy skiing and or free skiing.

And I've only ever skied on or reviewed The Syndicate version.

• Baller
@Chef23 For the % of people on BOS that run a 35 off click the home button and check out 2018 reader survey. @MickeyThompson I joined BOS in 2014. Started skiing in 2013 after not skiing for 14 years there was a thread at that time that talked about buying a high end ski or a crossover ski if you were working on skiing the course. It got my attention because I was looking to replace my 20 year old ski. At that time consensus was to go with the high end skies sense they were made for the skiing the course. I did demo lower or so called free skies and crossover skies. But I always felt that the high end skies turned and worked better for me. 2014 and 14 years earlier I was skiing 15 off. I know that crossover skies have improved over the last few years, It just seams odd to buy a lower end ski then year or two later buy another more advanced ski, Just my opinion

• Administrators

I guess there was a day when the high end skis were unfriendly for lower level skiers but that is no longer the truth.

My wife does not ski much and does not run the course but loves her top of the line ski. She was on a "crossover ski" before and when she got her a all carbon pvc ski she was basically angry at me for not getting her a better ski sooner.

College girl who watches the kids for @rico and I on the weekends runs 30 mph 15 off on a good day. She was on a "crossover ski" that was too small for her so I set her up on a top of the line ski and she is so much happier.

Point is that high end skis are really not just for high end skiers. I think it is a lot like shopping for Mountain bikes. Nobody would hates the most expensive bike. Maybe the maintenance or set up is different but once on the dirt the best stuff is the best stuff. Mid range ski are pretty good but do not make them seem more complicated than they are. So part of the choice is about how much you want to spend.

In the case of the Omni it is easy to ride and if you were going to cruise for miles on an open like it would be tons better than a high end ski but it will run balls too.

• Baller

Small world, @MickeyThompson. ?

I’m a big Syndicate Omni fan, chasing at 30, 32, 34mph/-15&22...first season, its doing (for me) what it is supposed to: make it easier/less work/more forgiving to (take a few steps back, slow down) develop the fundamental techniques to progress in speed and shorter line. 20% free ski, 80% course time; wish it were more like 35/65...

Omni moved my PB (of 31 years) by 2 balls earlier this year...still more to come.

• Baller

My personal opinion currently owning a syndicate Omni - I would specifically recommend it to anyone who is working on 15, 22, 28 at speeds DEFINITELY under 34 but preferentially 28-32; by specifically I basically mean preferentially over certain other skis in its price point. Largely due to the last line in @Horton post.

I don't think I would cruise for miles on the Omni, I have tried a few skis that you could like Maheraja long boards. But for a ski that skis as well as it does at 28 it also doesn't murder your back if you do a 40 turn open water ski set.

FWIW I'm coming up on a slow down and at 34 I think it is still a good ski.

My goal in buying it was to not have 2 different skis that I was always going back and forth between.

• Baller

Well I wrote this paper recently and it had, among others, my own personal experience behind it of time over the last 6 years on a 2012 Senate, 2013 Vice-C, and a 2018 Senate. Also, during that time I've skied anywhere from 28 to 34 mph all at 15 off.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-NiENHZt0sC7WDBaeVk6QK9OJzQ4-DYISGE1h_PPjPI

But now @Horton says this:

I guess there was a day when the high end skis were unfriendly for lower level skiers but that is no longer the truth.

So I guess my question is for a best estimate of when that change was made. If the answer is that it was later than 2013, then maybe I need to try out a vapor lithium to compare to my current 2018 senate lithium? I might find that in 2019 the game has completely changed and a revision is in order.

Or maybe there is a lower limit on what Horton meant by "lower level skiers". I may be above or below that limit, if it does exist?

There has to be some lower limit to that statement right @Horton? Surely you couldn't be saying that the best ski for somebody first learning the course at 24 or 26 mph would be a vapor pro-build or syndicate alpha. ?

• Baller
I generally agree with @Horton to a point, once you can get up on a slalom ski and run the full course at 28.6mph ish buy the best high end slalom ski you can afford. When first learning to get up on a slalom ski and first learning to run the course a wider ski is the way to go.

• Baller

@vtmecheng

I understand the point that you are trying to make, but let’s not get carried away :) No disrespect.

Willie is a great skier, but nobody is running tournament speed short line on anything close to 2x4. I’ve spent a good bit on time in the boat with him testing skis and he is very much dedicated to helping us get skis like Syndicate Omni designed right and on the feet of its target skier, namely the 26-34mph buoy chaser. I’m like the majority of readers here, mostly a weekend warrior skiing into 32-35off. I test every slalom ski we make and I can ski on any ski I choose, but Syndicate Omni is ski I keep coming back to. I am way more consistent on this ski at my level; partly because it is less work, but also because it’s just a damn good ski thanks to a team of very talented skiers and designers like Dave and Will. Omega might very well get me off Omni for a while though. Stay tuned.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

Been reading thru this post on the HO Omni.

My age 67, bad front ankle, size 5' 7" 214 pounds, difficultly doing deep water slalom starts and ski price has me thinking this might be the best next ski for me.

I do not need or want to spend $2000 dollars on a high end slalom ski at my ski level.

I mainly just like to get out and do multiple 32 mph at 28 off passes.

On a good day may try a few 32 offs.

I want a low drag ski I can get up on without too much difficulty and still be able to run the course at 32 mph 28 off.

I was looking at HO Web site and considering a new 2021 69" wide Carbon OMNI if available.

Do You guys that ski on this ski close to my height and weight think this would be a good ski for me?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)

• Baller
I would tend to agree with @Horton in that the high end skis are a lot more forgiving than they were in the past and therefore reach a larger range of skier. When I slow the boat consistently in a few years or more I will likely just go from a 66 to a 67 in a high end ski even tho I am not a 32 off skier, as opposed to going to a cross over ski or what ever. Was on a crossover ski a few skis ago and once I made the change I could not believe the improvement.

• Baller

From all the research I have done and comments I have read I am leaning towards the 69" wide Carbon OMNI.

It appears to be the right size, less difficult deep water starts and low drag I need at this time.

Late in my season so next spring I will decide which ski I want depending my weight and injury status.

Thanks for all the comments on HO OMNI.

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)