Moving to open bow...thoughts?

FredGarvin

I'm thinking of selling my 02 196 and getting an open bow. We are only 15 offers skiing 28-34 mph in the course. I don't see that changing. I don't want to get into the big bucks, but have been looking at various Malibus, Mastercrafts, some older SN 200s, and even like SN206. Any thoughts on which direction to go for my needs.

• Baller

Have you ever had a bunch of kids sitting in the front on a chopped up lake?

I think the boats don’t respond well with so much weight in front and much easier to take water over the bow.

Should definitely try one with a full crew if you haven’t to make sure you are going to like what you get.

The open bow is why my wife and I got our TXi (‘18). We always sit in the bow and float down the lake. I’m 6’-4” and I can still fit (a little diagonal though).

We liked the TXi’s bow entry (totally open) much better then the folded seat you need to climb over in the ProStar.

It’s true though...put two people in the bow and try to navigate a surfing wake, you’re gonna end up with a bow full of water (done it a few times). You do learn a few tricks on how to avoid, but sometimes you just catch a rogue wave.

• Baller
There is no compromise with a SN200 OB vs closed, it drives and skis exactly the same, and is the same exact weight. Handling wise you cannot beat a 200, the new Prostar has a little more interior room, but they didn’t start making those until 14 so you probably won’t find one in your range. I’d look for a 2010-2012 200 OB, you can probably find one for low 30’s with higher hours.

• Baller

1. 2014+ prostar

2. 2010+ 200

Probably both of those are out of your price range. So now let's get to the stuff that will actually be in your price range.

3. 97-02 SNOB. Rare. Step over open bow. small open bow. Probably most of them will fall under your $20k bottom end on the price range. I freaking love my 97 so much.

3. Response LX. step over open bow. small open bow. Rare in newer years. Most are older and under the $20k price range

4. Response LXi.

So, honestly, you can stay open to all of those, but in the end, with a budget of 20-30, you're probably going to end up with an LXi.

• Baller

A few years back I had a 206 and we rotated with two other 196s and an Lxi. A 206 is a very nice boat with very good build quality. The wake is about the the same as a 196 from 28 off and shorter. It is going to have a bigger wake at slower speeds which means not quite as good for slalom at slower speeds but maybe better for trick. A 206 is very stable and tracks maybe even better than a 196. It is going to feel a little piggier than a 196 driving. I skied one with a tower once and adding a tower sucks for skiing. At slower speeds the Malibu has a better slalom wake, but I have never liked driving the older Malibus as much and don't think they track as well (my opinion). I pulled a pro skier who skied at our lake through 39 1/2 off behind my boat and he said he liked the pull and the wake; one girl at our club skied at 28 mph and thought the wake was too big for her liking and preferred the Malibu. In open water and in chop it does very well compared to other ski boats I have been in.

I've heard a lot of complaints about 200 with the 5.7L. Not sure if that's from hardcore 36ers, high altitude people, or just in general, but people feel it's underpowered it seems. I also worry about fuel consumption but the 196 is not a miser when you're running at course speeds either.

• Baller

@FredGarvin Here you go.Open bow,775 hrs,6.0 liters (great engine!) just slightly above your budget ...if you don't need a trailer! A 200 is one of the greatest skiboat!

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=52580

Fuel consumption is...just that.

When there no more gas,just put some more in.That's it.You'll never save enough money on gas during one ski season to buy a new ski! Not even a rope.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_
@FredGarvin - if you hone in on a Malibu LXi be aware there is a difference in the Gen 1 ('03-'06) and Gen 2 (07+) hulls. I recommend skiing each prior to a potential purchase and if you barefoot do it also as the preferred hull tends to be the Gen 1.

• Baller

@FredGarvin I would look for an OB 200. It has room and it is easy for the family to drive in the course. As for the complaints with the 5.7 is because 2010 thru 13 had a 1868 that was a high RPM and made the boat feel a bit hard. In 13 they went with a 654 and that dropped the RPMS around 300 or so. This also softened up the boat when skiing. I would stay with the 200.

• Baller
If you have to take the boat out of the water after every use, you might want to look into some threads on here about issues with 200’s and the fit of the trailer. Seems like the hull shape makes for a semi-optimal trailer boat. Definitely something to consider!

• Baller
+1 more for the 200. Floating it on/off eliminates all problems for my 200 trailer and every 200 trailer I've seen. You can (and should IMO) put the 654 propeller on an older 200. I know of one 2010 200 (pre-catalytic converters) that uses a 422 prop and still has plenty of power. They really aren't that bad on gas. Are you sure you need an open bow? They are colder in the winter; and without an air dam, they'll blow the driver's hat off.