Dr. John W. Horton 5/6/1930 - 8/21/2019

Horton

• Baller
So sorry for your loss John. I had an OMG moment when I saw the picture of your mom and dad that shows how broad an influence your dad had - if inadvertently. The first time I got up on a slalom ski about 50 years ago it was on a "Jack" ski that my uncle found at the lake or river. That ski gave many people their first slalom ride.

to the entire Horton and Nock Family, Janie and I have you all in our thoughts.

Too many memories of Jack to single any one out. Without his vision for what skiing could be, we would not have built our first Lake in Utah in 1982, and again in Northern California in 1996. A true Pioneer and inspiration.

RIP Jack

• Baller

Thanks for sharing that document about your Dad, John. What a baller, what a legacy.

In your case as in mine, it pays even after the passing of our parents/role models to continue to strive to make them proud. I'm sure you have done so, and will do so for as long as you live.

• Baller_
His contributions to the sport and spirit of water skiing must be impossible to measure, as with his impact as a father, husband, or friend. I feel that I really missed out by not meeting or knowing him.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I’m sure that this is the toughest thread that you have ever started John. My heart goes out to you and the entire Horton family. And what a large family Dr Jack did have. It went far beyond his immediate family , and stretched around the world. Many tears are being shed because of the great life that Dr Jack lived and the many lives that he has touched. When I think of Jack , Love and Humility jump out at me. He had a way of making you feel very comfortable, and seemed interested in what you had going on. All of his skiing accomplishments aside , Dr Jack Horton will be most remembered by what a good person he was. Thank you to the Horton family for sharing him with us and remain strong in these tough times.

• Baller

My sincerest condolences to the Horton family. What a wonderful legacy Dr. Jack left for his family and all of us who love this sport. I'm so grateful for his support when I decided to get back into the sport after a 20 year break. I drove down to Newberry Springs, CA and spent two days on his lake with him and his granddaughter, Elli, trying to get my slalom game back on. I made a little video tribute of that trip

- one of the best memories getting to spend time with the Horton family. Their love and passion for skiers and the sport was evident. I think Jack Horton and his Horton Lakes are truly a treasure to our sport.

• Baller
There were many of us New Zealanders who were fortunate enough to work at Hortons Lake Ski School. For that we will always be grateful to Dr Jack and his family. And will always have fond memories of our time there.

• Baller

I've been thinking about this announcement for a week. My Dad was my hero. I think that's true for many. We wish the whole world would honor our hero as we do. My own daughter never met my Dad, and I struggle for her to know him as I did. But, for you @Horton and family, there is an entire community, even if a small community, that recognizes and remembers your Dad. Folks, that don't know you that will be talking about his first man-made ski lake for years. I think that's really cool. I think that is such an extraordinary gift to your family. Godspeed Dr. Jack Horton.

We "The Fisher"Family have alot of Great memories of Skiing with Jack and being at the Hortons. Jack was A Great Guy and I was very proud to "share" a Podium with him ! He was #1!

I`m very sorry for Your Loss. I was totally Blindsided by this News!!

Ed Fisher