Out of state used boat purchase

vtmecheng

• Baller

Bought my Barefoot Sanger from Colorado. I found 'er on eBay. Talked to the owner. Seemed like a worthy by. I hired a driver

for 700.00 who that drove for lots of the local marinas. He knows boats. He checked it out very well before handing over the $$. When he got back at 1:30am I could not see the boat very well. It looked really good for what I paid for it. When I cleaned it the next day and had my mechanic run compression test I found I got the nicest Barefoot Sanger on the planet. 175 hrs. Used 2 weeks a year on the river in Wyoming. The dad did a little slalom skiing and the son road a kneeboard. So it really never got used. Never had a boom on it and was always garage kept. I did have to replace a plenum gasket on the Yamaha but other than that I got a great deal. Could have easily gone the other way but I am very fortunate and still giddy six years later. I would not trade this one for a new one of any kind. This is the BOMB~!

m0a96hx5z11a.jpg

633greeh8u9i.jpg

• Baller
@vtmecheng those gauges on the SN look off in multiple ways. Regarding water over the bow, any DD will have this issue. Yeah the RLXi might be a bit worse than the 206 there but you need to be vigilant with any boat. RLXi has better wakes of those two choices esp longer lines than 28, and not by just a tiny bit.

• Baller

I think you're over analyzing it a bit personally. 80 PSI is fine and nothing to be worried about under WOT especially given your ECT is low. Analog gauge data is more of warning light with dials. If you actually want to analyze engine data you need a laptop to connect to the engine.

I'd grab a copy of the owners manuals and verify what you're seeing there too.

https://www.nautique.com/models/owners-manuals

http://pcmengines.com/archive

• Baller
Owner is not John M. I know it seems I am over analyzing it but I don't have anyone down at lake Gaston to test this. The mechanic that has maintained it has not been willing to tell me about it so far. At this point I'm going to wait and see how that Response looks, the seller is putting together photos for me.

• Baller

@Drago I agree, The two pictures are worthless. More I look at them the more I realize they weren’t taken on the same day. That boat should top out at 44, no more. And why was it idling at 1400 when throttle is in neutral? But 80 psi on a cold start is logical.

Oh, duh ?, that second picture at “idle” is from the craigslist ad at 210 hours. And I wouldn’t call 1400 revs with the throttle in neutral “idle”.

• Baller

If the owner does't know anything and you cannot get decent pictures from the owner I'd walk away. Too many boats out there to deal with that. Find a boat that has speed control and I'd bet you'll find a much more attentive owner.

Anecdotal, but I find 3 event boats with speed control are often taken better care of and have owners that share the same passion we do which helps with transparency and honesty.

• Baller

I've asked the owner three times if the boat was cold on that full throttle run, he keeps skipping that one. If I were closer I'd look at it but this runaround crap is frustrating. I don't mind the lack of speed control, $1500 and a bit of time will fix that. Agreed that those of us who care more about skiing tend to also care about our boats.

That Response is being sold through consignment so who knows what that owner is like. At least the dealer is willing to take videos and run scans.

• Baller

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=52943

Sounds like you’re looking for an open bow. I’m not sure what the reviews are for the 06 197 but the above boat is pretty damn sexy for an OB. Lots of ballers in the cheese state, maybe somebody knows it. The SN 206 always looked like a turd. I can spend your money all day.

• Baller
I love the look of the 197 but they dip the bow really easily and are not known for having the best slalom wake on BOS. I actually like the look of the 206 with the right color scheme. Regarding the consignment, I've seen a number of ski boats go from personal to consignment. Seems that ski boats don't sell well in certain areas, likely where everyone wants fishing, pontoon, or wake boats. Owners eventually switch to consignment hoping to get it sold. That or they are wealthy and just want it gone.

• Baller
My guess is in the next few weeks more and more good quality boats will hit the market. Be patient. The question is will they be priced correctly. That was my biggest problem, most of thesellers in the northwest seem to think that because new boats are worth >100k that somehow their 20yr old boat is now worth nearly as much as when new. The "right" boat will come up!

• Baller
@vtmecheng 100% internet nitpicking. Great boats. I own an 01 Nautique. By 06 they had the MC pretty dialed in. I'd prefer a set behind an 06 196 but again, nitpicking. Great all around family boat, better for public water than the 196, maybe better in the course than the 206.

• Baller
@vtmecheng I have a 2008 197 and yes at longer lines and slower speeds the wake is not great for young skiers.Otherwise the boat overall is a good family boat. I think its like talking about a ski you really need to test the ski and for sure a boat.Everybody has different likes and dislikes and the best way is to drive and ski.I personally think the LXI is a better overall choice.If you have any questions or need help contact me. I have had many boats the past couple yrs.